Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OT: Remember that time Joe Flacco said "the R-word" ... ?

Flacco, Gino Gradkowski, and Ed Dickson have partnered with Special Olympics Maryland on their "R-Word Campaign" to stop use of the word that many find offensive. More deets on Joe's Facebook page; it's the second-most recent story right now: https://www.facebook.com/JoeFlacco

For those who need a refresher, during Super Bowl week this year Joe said it would be "retarded" to play the Super Bowl in inclement weather but then immediately caught himself and took it back. This board was (at times hotly) divided over the word, its usage, etc. (So, I fully expect this to be moved to a different forum, just putting it here for the time being...)
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Re: OT: Remember that time Joe Flacco said "the R-word" ... ?

At first I thought the word was repeat.

While I agree having the Super Bowl is NY is not a good idea since there's a decent chance of a winter storm, this just shows that Joe recognized his choice of words was poor. Having inserted foot in mouth many times I understand.

Blog Entries

I guess freedom of speech is not as free as we had thought. Joe's use of the word "retarded" was in no way shape or form meant to harm people who are mentally challenged. The politically correct win again... Bc
    Last edited by BcRaven; 05-21-2013 at 03:55 PM. Reason: double "

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I guess freedom of speech is not as free as we had thought. Joe's use of the word "retarded' was in no way shape or form meant to harm people who are mentally challenged. The politically correct win again... Bc
    Sure it is. You are free to say what you want. But people are free to respond to that as well... within reason.

Joe said something that some people thought was insensitive. He didn't get locked up and tortured, he didn't get stoned, he didn't get his first born stolen into slavery or lose his tongue. People said "C'mon Joe... think before you speak" and he has.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    ... within reason.
    I will reply to these two words of your post, because (to me) they are the most profound.
    Who, please tell me Redskins Fury, is to determine what speech is "within reason" ? ... Bc

I will reply to these two words of your post, because (to me) they are the most profound.
    Who, please tell me Redskins Fury, is to determine what speech is "within reason" ? ... Bc
    Maybe you should re-read the response. It didn't say "speech within reason", it said "response within reason", and gave several examples of unreasonable responses (e.g. physical punishment).

You have the freedom to say pretty much anything you want, but when other people use their freedom to do the same, be prepared to sack up without the lame "PC police are picking on me" rant.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Blog Entries

I guess freedom of speech is not as free as we had thought.
    If you mean you can't go around saying whatever you like to whomever you like and never expect any response, yeah, it's not as free as you thought, because people don't live in bubbles.

The use of the word retarded in Joe's comments has specific connotations which make it offensive to a group of people. Given that they are the people who have been, and often still are, victimised by the use of that word I can understand their sensitivity, and as a result I stopped using it, because my right to say what I want doesn't mean I have to be insensitive.

Joe realised his comments had the capacity to be harmful and is doing something to make up for it. Good for him, he didn't think his rights should mean he gets to be selfish and insensitive for no good reason. He exercised some responsibility.

The same people who criticized him probably use the phrase at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    If you mean you can't go around saying whatever you like to whomever you like and never expect any response, yeah, it's not as free as you thought, because people don't live in bubbles.

The use of the word retarded in Joe's comments has specific connotations which make it offensive to a group of people. Given that they are the people who have been, and often still are, victimised by the use of that word I can understand their sensitivity, and as a result I stopped using it, because my right to say what I want doesn't mean I have to be insensitive.

Joe realised his comments had the capacity to be harmful and is doing something to make up for it. Good for him, he didn't think his rights should mean he gets to be selfish and insensitive for no good reason. He exercised some responsibility.
    Well put, Lee.

My freedom to swing my fist ends at your nose. You are "free" to say (just about) whatever you like, but if you want to live in a world where you get along with as many people as possible (or at least not be enemies to most people), you also need to realize that your "freedoms" need to be checked by the feelings and rights of other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Unibomber View Post
    The same people who criticized him probably use the phrase at home.
    Uh, what?
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    ... You have the freedom to say pretty much anything you want, but when other people use their freedom to do the same, be prepared to sack up without the lame "PC police are picking on me" rant.
    Yeah, just tell that to others (politicians ?) that have lost their standing by "free speech."
    You cannot tell me that so many people are 'afraid' to speak their minds because it isn't 'politically correct.' I worked for a very large corporation, and many of my coworkers kept silent in the workplace just to keep their jobs. Be naive if you want.
    I'll copy another line from Ravensfury : He didn't get locked up and tortured, he didn't get stoned, he didn't get his first born stolen into slavery or lose his tongue. People said "C'mon Joe... think before you speak" and he has.
    Locked up? tortured? stoned? but according to you two, he has to think before he speaks, so he can recant a word he didn't mean and be sorry for being a free standing American boy. We all knew what Joe meant, but you guys believe he has to say words that are "within reason." Shame on you... Bc

This thread is retarded... Oops.

Blog Entries

Further to the above, Joe's use of the word is offensive because of the way he used it. It's used in that context precisely because of its derogatory connotations of someone whom has a learning disability and the equating of that to being stupid, yes we know what he meant because what he meant is exactly why the word isn't cool. I have little doubt that it was not meant maliciously, but the use of the word in that context is offensive whether joe, you or I deem it to be or not... We don't get to make that decision because we aren't the people that have been slurred and oppressed with it.

Unless someone means to tell me that he actually meant: Occurring or developing later than desired or expected; delayed.
    Last edited by Lee Van Cleef; 05-21-2013 at 05:40 PM.