Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Take time in your relationships and pick them wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Why would any woman want to keep the ring of a man who proposed to her, before breaking it off?
    If it was anything below a $10k engagement ring, she probably would just return it.

What she should do is offer to sell it back to him for like 300k. Unless he's super confident he's going to get it back, he can recoup some of his losses while saving face, and she makes the money, just not as much.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Bru View Post
    I'd heard that unless the ring was given on a traditionally gift giving day (Christmas, Birthday, or other) that you should be able to get the ring back in the case of a broken engagement.
    They live(d) in TX, and apparently there's a law about this there...if the man broke the wedding off, it's hers. If she broke the wedding off, it's his. The hard part is how to prove which one broke it off. Without any kind of hard evidence, this is just going to devolve into "he said/she said" crap.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    They live(d) in TX, and apparently there's a law about this there...if the man broke the wedding off, it's hers. If she broke the wedding off, it's his. The hard part is how to prove which one broke it off. Without any kind of hard evidence, this is just going to devolve into "he said/she said" crap.
    Just like 99% of everything else in civil court

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I still say #1 - he gave her the ring, it's hers now.
    That may be what you say, but it's not what the law says. Have you learned nothing from "Judge Judy?" :)
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

That ring is worth almost $800,000. Even if the court rules that she gets to keep the ring (which I doubt), wouldn't the publicity this has raised cause the IRS to take interest in this case? I would think that in the eyes of the IRS, that ring is considered income, and is subject to gift taxes. Usurally, the donor (Mario Williams in this case) would have to pay the gift tax (which would be insult to injury), but I would laugh my butt off if the judge awarded the woman the ring, but then ordered her to pay the gift tax, which could be hundreds of thousands of dollars. Gifts to spouses are exempt from gift taxes, but they aren't married (they were only engaged), so it would not apply.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    That ring is worth almost $800,000. Even if the court rules that she gets to keep the ring (which I doubt), wouldn't the publicity this has raised cause the IRS to take interest in this case? I would think that in the eyes of the IRS, that ring is considered income, and is subject to gift taxes. Usurally, the donor (Mario Williams in this case) would have to pay the gift tax (which would be insult to injury), but I would laugh my butt off if the judge awarded the woman the ring, but then ordered her to pay the gift tax, which could be hundreds of thousands of dollars. Gifts to spouses are exempt from gift taxes, but they aren't married (they were only engaged), so it would not apply.
    You're right. It's called a conditional gift with the condition being marriage. Once the marriage takes place the gift is considered to be completed and then it falls under the marriage rule which states that spouses can give anything to each other tax free. If the state law says that she can keep the ring then it is indeed a gift and he does have to file a gift tax return. What a nightmare for him.

engagement rings are considered "conditional gifts" as the above pster has menioned. It is considered a contract. Until the contract is fulfilled(Will you marry me) it is a "loaner" in the eyes of the law, IN MOST STATES. Some states have the "who broke it off" statue, many do not. VERY, VERY few, if any, consider it a pemanent gift when given.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    engagement rings are considered "conditional gifts" as the above pster has menioned. It is considered a contract. Until the contract is fulfilled(Will you marry me) it is a "loaner" in the eyes of the law, IN MOST STATES. Some states have the "who broke it off" statue, many do not. VERY, VERY few, if any, consider it a pemanent gift when given.
    The problem for Mario is that Texas is one of those states where who broke it off matters. It's going to come down to a judge making a call on this one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    You're right. It's called a conditional gift with the condition being marriage. Once the marriage takes place the gift is considered to be completed and then it falls under the marriage rule which states that spouses can give anything to each other tax free. If the state law says that she can keep the ring then it is indeed a gift and he does have to file a gift tax return. What a nightmare for him.
    Back in 1985, I gave my girl friend a ring. It came out of a Cracker Jack box. It was included in our pre-nuptual agreement. Luckily for all concerned, we did wed in 1986, and have been happily married ever since ... Bc
    P.S. - My sister-in-law was maid-of-honor. Little did I know how long I'd be paying for that privilege :(

If I were a big time pro athlete, I would follow Derek Jeter's example. Date the hottest women that I could get (without getting anyone pregnant), but wait to get married until my playing career was over. That way, none of the money that I earned while playing would be community property. Mario got off easy. He should learn his lesson and not get married for another 5-7 years. As far as his health info, I don't know what is going on with that info being made public.
    Wow. You are definitely the most chivalrous man who ever lived.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

If I were a big time pro athlete, I would follow Derek Jeter's example. Date the hottest women that I could get (without getting anyone pregnant), but wait to get married until my playing career was over. That way, none of the money that I earned while playing would be community property. Mario got off easy. He should learn his lesson and not get married for another 5-7 years. As far as his health info, I don't know what is going on with that info being made public.
    Or a prenup

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I still say #1 - he gave her the ring, it's hers now. and #2 - putting those text messages out to the public was wrong

Be glad you got away cheap Mario, move on and don't get married!
    If his career is negatively affected based on her text msgs it seems like an easy settlement for a slander suit. However, IANAL.