Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ray and Ogden might have been the last

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,5923759.story

looking at these numbers it seems impossible that a player will spend their whole career in one city. ray and ogden might have been the last. if you are going to stay competitive it seems impossible to have 7 players make up 60% of your cap yet only 13% of your roster.

i get the whole competitve nature of the franchises by instituting a cap. it penalizes the good organizations for drafting and developing well. the good organizations actually become the farm systems for lesser organizations.

the problem is it robs the fan base from producing sports legends who only played for one franchise. ed reed is great but when compared to ray and ogden there will always be the stigma, from baltimore fans, that he played for an other team.
    Last edited by Section 502 Raven; 05-20-2013 at 12:39 PM. Reason: bad link

Re: Ray and Ogden might have been the last

I'd much prefer to have the system we have now. The cap system allows for any team to step out of the cellar and make a playoff run.

I'll take parity over the loss of players only playing for one team any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Besides, the players wanted it this way anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 502 Raven View Post

looking at these numbers it seems impossible that a player will spend their whole career in one city. ray and ogden might have been the last. if you are going to stay competitive it seems impossible to have 7 players make up 60% of your cap yet only 13% of your roster.

i get the whole competitve nature of the franchises by instituting a cap. it penalizes the good organizations for drafting and developing well. the good organizations actually become the farm systems for lesser organizations.

the problem is it robs the fan base from producing sports legends who only played for one franchise. ed reed is great but when compared to ray and ogden there will always be the stigma, from baltimore fans, that he played for an other team.
    Eh...Ed will always be a Raven to me.

Perhaps the greatest player in Baltimore football history (Unitas), ended his career in San Diego.

But I get your basic point though. And it's why I have been saying that Suggs may possibly be in trouble if he doesn't get back to his DPOY self.

At the least, this seems to open up the possibility of some restructuring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I hate baseball's structure that allows the wealthy teams to buy up good players, it makes for a lopsided talent and poor competitive fairness. I agree with HR, I like the system in place. It requires you to be smarter with your money, FO, coaches, etc.

As far as Reed, he will be given his due when his career is over. No one ever talks about Unitas playing in San Diego and Reed will be remembered as a Raven always.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I'd much prefer to have the system we have now. The cap system allows for any team to step out of the cellar and make a playoff run.

I'll take parity over the loss of players only playing for one team any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Besides, the players wanted it this way anyway.
    The great part of the salary cap system is the players that want to burden a franchise with a huge contract will get it. Of course then you have to play for a team that isn't very good, and won't be because of all of the cash they paid for an established vet from another team. While that other team just paid a lot of money to one player, that frees up the original team to go out and sign a couple of good players to a more reasonable salary. As we have seen time and again before, our good D players that get signed away from the Ravens rarely if ever look as good with their new teams. Look at a recent fan favorite Jarrett Johnson, his stats last year don't look as good as they did during the 2007-2011 seasons (he really wasn't a starter 2003-2006). The franchise cap makes the teams front office more of a player than the years without a cap. Say what you will about the cap, I like the fact that every team has a solid chance every year and it's not just a small group of teams with superstars at every position that have a chance.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Blog Entries

When the Union negotiated the lastest deal and put the rookie pay in place, it was felt that there would be much more money to go around for veterans. It isn't working out that way though. There are megapaid QBs, Rush, LT, etc and then there's the rest.

One thing I like about NBA is the individual player cap. Look at Lebron James for example, he's not going to get paid an insane amount because of the cap. I think the NFL should have looked into something like that but the horse has left the barn.

That's why it is so important to keep bringing in rookies and young guys that are cheap and hungry. It's the only way to stay competitive when a handful of players eat up so much cap space.

Next year the team will have to make tough decision on Ngata and Suggs..

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I agree with Houston and the rest. One reason why Ray Lewis and J.O. were lifelong Ravens was that we didn't have a franchise QB that we were paying top dollar for. Our team could afford 5-6 franchise players at other positions because we had a Kyle Boller and a young Joe Flacco on their rookie deal for a number of years. No we are paying big money for the QB position and other positions are going to have to be evaluated each and every year in order to maximize value and minimize the cost. Turnover on the team doesn't bother me when you have a drafting machine like the Ravens. It will be sad for fans who are invested in players instead of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenwoman View Post
    It will be sad for fans who are invested in players instead of the team.
    Player uniform sales are huge. I bet this year the sale for ravens jerseys will spike with Lewis, Reed and Boldin no longer on the team. There's an emotional investment, but there's a lot of merchandise purchased too. Anyone who bought a Flacco jersey as a rookie could actually wear it out by the time he retires.

Well, the day ever comes when they do away with the CAP so that big market teams corner the market on players, I'm putting my tickets up for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 502 Raven View Post

Definitely want the cap to stay in place. The parity is what makes the league great. If there were no cap most super stars would not sign with current team prior to seeing what the Cowboys, Redskins and Giants were willing to pay on the open market. I do wish they would implement some type of cap exception for signing your own players similar to the NBA. It would reward the teams who do well in the draft.

The cap is a big reason why the league is more competitive and it's better that way.

"robbing a fan base from producing a sports legend" is hardly a reason to suggest doing away with the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    The cap is a big reason why the league is more competitive and it's better that way.

"robbing a fan base from producing a sports legend" is hardly a reason to suggest doing away with the cap.
    Exactly.

The name on the front of the jersey is a heck of a lot more important to the league than the name on the back.

I root for the laundry, not a specific player.