Page 1 of 13 123 ... LastLast

Falcons Board still debating Flacco vs. Ryan as if it made any difference at all.

Since it is the slow season i thought I would check out what some of the other message boards were saying about their rookies and off season moves. I go to the Falcons Board and this is the first thread I see:

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/top...er-per-nflcom/

It is bonkers. I like Matt Ryan and wish him well, but I am so glad i am not a Falcons fan.

NFL.com ranking QBs?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...l-quarterbacks

I was going to start my own thread on this, but decided this was as good a place as any.

NFL.com has ranked QBs and I think they are under rating Joe Flacco at #13 behind some QBs like Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, RG3, Colin Kapernick(?), Russel Wilson(?!), and Cam Newton(WTF!).

They have Joe Flacco in front of Tony Romo, Matthew Stafford, and Jay Cutler all listed as Solid Dudes. I don't mind Joe Flacco listed with these four players, but behind the QB that lost the SB? Behind Cam Newton? Puh-lease!

I know it's just someone's opinion as to where all of these guys are ranked, but I expect more from the NFL site.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Re: NFL.com ranking QBs?

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Bru View Post
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...l-quarterbacks

I was going to start my own thread on this, but decided this was as good a place as any.

NFL.com has ranked QBs and I think they are under rating Joe Flacco at #13 behind some QBs like Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, RG3, Colin Kapernick(?), Russel Wilson(?!), and Cam Newton(WTF!).

They have Joe Flacco in front of Tony Romo, Matthew Stafford, and Jay Cutler all listed as Solid Dudes. I don't mind Joe Flacco listed with these four players, but behind the QB that lost the SB? Behind Cam Newton? Puh-lease!

I know it's just someone's opinion as to where all of these guys are ranked, but I expect more from the NFL site.
    And this is why I was saying in that Flacco HOF thread that he needs to put up better regular season numbers...that's what these national writers keep coming back to.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Failcons fans taking pride in opinions, nothing new. When your QB continuously gets hyped and can't deliver, you have to resort to some form of twisted reality to mask your pain

bt12483 embarrassed an entire board in the previous thread, from looking at his first response, he has their souls burning again

Re: Falcons Board still debating Flacco vs. Ryan as if it made any difference at all.

Nothing new. They might possibly talk about Joe more than we do lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bl1tz View Post
    bt12483 embarrassed an entire board in the previous thread, from looking at his first response, he has their souls burning again
    I laughed pretty hard when I saw that post!

Blog Entries

They were actually talking about this on SiriusNFL today as well as comparing Mike Smith to Harbs. They all pretty much agreed that while regular season stats are important, it means nothing if you fizzle in the playoffs. That is why the commentators both picked Flacco and Harb.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I used to visit that board quite a bit, hopped on it when we went on an away trip to ATL. They are not bad people over there. But yeah, they were talking about this in 2010 and it still exists. Kind of comical. Take it as a compliment, even though they are blinded by the red and black goggles, they think that their one time playoff winning QB is better than your Super Bowl MVP winning QB. When you are good the comparisons will only be magnified.

Individual player rankings for a team game are really silly and flat out pointless. One of the most ridiculous ones - and fairly recent - was one that asked the following question (paraphrased):

If you had to pick one QB to lead you to a Super Bowl this year, without regard to his O-line, WRs, RBs, OC, etc, who would it be?

Then it ranked the QBs in the league supposedly without regard to the surrounding talent - just who would you want for this year. Period. Yet, in every write up to justify the place for each QB, the writer used statistics. If I can find the link I'll edit the post, but it was mind-boggling to read a premise at the beginning that was completely ignored in the write ups.

For example, in Flacco's write up, the writer said he ranked him low because he didn't have as many yards as the other top QBs and Ryan was ranked high because he produces good stats with the great weapons he has at his disposal (that was actually part of the write up). Gee, so much for the criteria in the first place. I always thought statistics had a lot to do with the play calling and weapons available, but I must be wrong.

There's an argument to be made for both but I do chuckle when Falcon fans insinuate that Ryan is in some sort of stratosphere of greatness that Joe can only hope get a touch of.

And yet Flacco has more wins in post season then most active QBs in the league. Stats are for talking hjeads and fantasy football people. I'll take wins and postseason appearances(Joe has probably more then anybody in his first five years) every time. His dominating post season stats mean nothing to the talking heads because most teams do not make the playoffs like the ravens. Compare QB stats in postseason and Joe is 1 or 2 in the league I bet.

Ryan has played well in regular season, but chokes in post season. Ravens fans will take Flacco over any other QB based on Flacco being a blue collared player who has showed the league he can back up his talk about being good. I laugh when I hear the Ryan/Flacco talk. Ryan will have to do it all this year(with gonzalez hoping to retire with a SB ring) or Atlanta fans will start chanting for another QB who can win it all.

If the Falcon fans can take comfort in regular season stats and are willing to overlook Ryans poor playoff performance than goody for them....least they have that to hold on to. Me I will take the guy who produces when it matters most. Holding on to that and the memory of the Lombardi we just won with that guy is plenty for me. Let the pundits believe what they believe.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis