Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Re: Best and Worst Interactions with NFL Players?

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Remember his famous hit on Big Jen. He said it was the hardest he ever was hit.
    So much for size.

So what happened to him in NY. Like one of the articles said logging on to this forum
    he was one of the many players that didn't do as well when he left Ravens.

Here it is. It's one of the biggest hits in Ravens history. Looks like he pulls a stunt
    and moves to his left around the entire o-line and goes in un-touched.

Everyone loved Bart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZoDDYkoKi4
    I think Burnett's hit on Akili Smith in 2000 was more violent. I still can't believe he didn't fumble the ball.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Agreed, that was one of the best hits I have ever seen. Don't get me wrong, I love that hit on Ben, but Burnetts was epic.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

HK-
    How ya doin', mon ami?

Quote Originally Posted by Darksouleyez View Post
    my Fondest memory growing up was going to my moms work in Westminster and on seldom days about once a month or so a guy would grab me an throw me up in the air (i was less than 5 y/o at the time). For years i never knew who this guy really was, my parents kept going on an on about him, with me not knowing who the heck he was, just kept saying Johnny this, Johnny That. I didn't realize until years later that this was Johnny Unitas. I admired the fact that even with his history he would walk into a place to pay his own heating bill (not send a check) acting he wasn't better than any other person and was willing to spend time with the public. That without a doubt has to be my greatest experience with an NFL player.
    My mother used to work in the same building as Johnny U. I barely remember it, but I did meet him in an elevator while visiting my mother at work one day. Everything good thing you can say about the man is true. I have a football he signed for me, and am still trying to find the one he signed for my grandfather. He was a gentleman for sure.

Art-
    The BALTIMORE Colts of the 50's and 60's were definitely a different breed of guys than the "modern day" players.

Not that other cities were completely different, but the players that were in Baltimore during those decades were truly citizens of the community, generally dedicated to the betterment of their neighborhoods and communities. They were mostly approachable by virtually any "Joe Schmoe" football fan, and worked to maintain their on-going "loyalty" to their base.

That all seemed to end when Irsay moved his property...

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    Art-
    The BALTIMORE Colts of the 50's and 60's were definitely a different breed of guys than the "modern day" players.

Not that other cities were completely different, but the players that were in Baltimore during those decades were truly citizens of the community, generally dedicated to the betterment of their neighborhoods and communities. They were mostly approachable by virtually any "Joe Schmoe" football fan, and worked to maintain their on-going "loyalty" to their base.

That all seemed to end when Irsay moved his property...
    Who were some of the guys you met?

Blog Entries

The old timers that stayed remained the same as has been pointed out in this thread numerous times. Guys like Lenny, Arty, Matte, Bruce Laird, Mike Curtis, Rick Volk are still approachable when you see them and so are the Ravens as have been pointed out.

Scott Garceau is also approachable when you see him. He was MC at a Nest 1 Scholarship Banquet and had his pal Bruce Laird with him. He was ribbing him about the Ghost to Post Play in the 77 PO game vs OAK. Scott said I just saw the game on the classic channel and the last thing you see is Bruce Laird trailing Casper into the end zone.

Laird said wait a minute. I wasn't even supposed to be over there. I had my man covered on the opposite side. Our LB forgot to pick Casper up so I went over to help out and got there too late.

Afterwards I asked Laird if Stan White was the LB and he laughed and said yea. Laird looks like he could still put on a uniform.

I met Stan in an unusual way. We went to the same church. He still goes there and so does his pal Joe Erhmann of the Sack Pack. He is a pastor there and had a ministry to ghetto kids for many years called The Door. John Steadman wrote him up pretty big several times.
    He's also a cool guy. Helped the church get a new pastor when they needed one - a former roommate in seminary. One time the pastor said you should watch a game with Joe. He calls every play before it happens. He wasn't on the Sack Pack for nutten.

I taught Stan Jr when he was 10, He went to Ohio St and was on their National Championship team and was drafted by the Bengals. Not sure if he is still in football.
    Stan and Joe also coach at Gillman.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-27-2013 at 03:26 AM.

Blog Entries

Scott Garceau used to send the Nests emails to be in his audience when he did a show with Keith Mills at the Coliseum. It was cool because my family and friends watched it and the TV kept zooming on me. There were only a few of us there but Scott made good on his promise to get us on TV and took questions. Chris Redman was on with them along with Miss Maryland in the Miss America contest. WE couldn't figure out what she had to do with football but she was sure nice to look at.

I played a joke on Scott at the banquet one year. I could say this because he knew me. He was at the head table as MC and I walked up and said congratulations on your retirement SCott but you have to get rid of that bitch. I was referring to Anita Marks. Everyone was laughing their asses off especially Marcus Ogden the main speaker. He almost fell off his chair. He hated her after she gave him the business on her show one time. Scott just gave me a horrific look and said thanks but that was it.

Afterwards I asked our Prez if I was getting kicked out of the club and he said who you? No one will kick you out. YOu just said what everyone was thinking. It was the funniest thing that ever happened in the club.

Well, not everyone was laughing. The thing is, I only intended for Scott to hear that but I have a boisterous voice and everyone in the Richland Ballroom heard me - all 300 attendees.

All the high school players heard me, their moms and dads and their baby sisters heard me. While all the guys laughed their asses off, all the bitches in the club wanted my ass in a sling and the board gave it to them.

Two weeks after the prez said I had nutten to worry about I get this terse little note that I'll get kicked out of the club if I ever do that again or if I ever tell DeCosta he fucked up the Oher draft again or if I ever put his comments on Sunspot again. I tell you, the Ravens have stringers that read the boards. Ozzie, HARBs and DeCosta know everything that is being posted about them. Decosta knew everything I posted on Sunspot and bitched about it. I never post
    any comments when the speakers tell us not to. Bruce Bergandy always says not to so I don't
    or they won't come back. Dee never said not to. The part he didn't like was when someone posted, now we know the Ravens had no intention of getting any weapons for Flacco.

I sent a little FU back and was out of the club. Um, make that a big FU.

Oh well. Nobody is perfect.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-27-2013 at 03:30 AM.

Air-
    After reading your banquet story, I'm reminded tha you're always so wishy-washy and reserved in your comments to folks! You need to come right out and tell us how you feel about things!!!;)

By the way, I recall seeing Ehrmann play at Memorial Stadium back when. I always admired and respected the guy, felt like he never got as much credit for his play as the media tended to give him. The kind of guy you're proud of when he sticks around after a career and adds to the community equation.

Bred-
    I believe Mr. Unitas said hi a few times when we dined at the Golden Arm. Didn't have the same type of relationships as AF had/has, but have personally met more Ravens -- Goose, McAlister -- and had a chance to dine and extended conversations. Also met Chuck Thompson, and IMHO there's not a more gentlmanly individual. Met Frank Robinson at the same event, and although I was a fan when he played for the Reds and then the O's, the guy displayed the personality of a turnip.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Scott Garceau used to send the Nests emails to be in his audience when he did a show with Keith Mills at the Coliseum. It was cool because my family and friends watched it and the TV kept zooming on me. There were only a few of us there but Scott made good on his promise to get us on TV and took questions. Chris Redman was on with them along with Miss Maryland in the Miss America contest. WE couldn't figure out what she had to do with football but she was sure nice to look at.

I played a joke on Scott at the banquet one year. I could say this because he knew me. He was at the head table as MC and I walked up and said congratulations on your retirement SCott but you have to get rid of that bitch. I was referring to Anita Marks. Everyone was laughing their asses off especially Marcus Ogden the main speaker. He almost fell off his chair. He hated her after she gave him the business on her show one time. Scott just gave me a horrific look and said thanks but that was it.

Afterwards I asked our Prez if I was getting kicked out of the club and he said who you? No one will kick you out. YOu just said what everyone was thinking. It was the funniest thing that ever happened in the
    Well, not everyone was laughing. The thing is, I only intended for Scott to hear that but I have a boisterous voice and everyone in the Richland Ballroom heard me - all 300 attendees.

All the high school players heard me, their moms and dads and their baby sisters heard me. While all the guys laughed their asses off, all the bitches in the club wanted my ass in a sling and the board gave it to them.

Two weeks after the prez said I had nutten to worry about I get this terse little note that I'll get kicked out of the club if I ever do that again or if I ever tell DeCosta he fucked up the Oher draft again or if I ever put his comments on Sunspot again. I tell you, the Ravens have stringers that read the boards. Ozzie, HARBs and DeCosta know everything that is being posted about them. Decosta knew everything I posted on Sunspot and bitched about it. I never post
    any comments when the speakers tell us not to. Bruce Bergandy always says not to so I don't
    or they won't come back. Dee never said not to. The part he didn't like was when someone posted, now we know the Ravens had no intention of getting any weapons for Flacco.

I sent a little FU back and was out of the club. Um, make that a big FU.

Oh well. Nobody is perfect.
    They actually read the message boards?

bump

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by baltimorebred View Post
    They actually read the message boards?
    Even Billick read the boards. He used to laugh and say never believe anything you see on a message board but he sure knew everything that was said about him.

So did DeCosta.

Joe Ehrman became a Christian after his little brother died, I think of leukimea or something like that. He knew Stan was a Christian and had a Bible study for the team on Monday nights and Stan counseled him and he became a Christian and eventually a minister.

When the church was smaller with about 3,000 members they had baptisms in Stan White's swimming pool. Don't know where they have it now. They have about 8-10,000 members.