Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Best and Worst Interactions with NFL Players?

Met Bruce Smith at BWI once and he was pretty down to earth.

Met Singletary in Chicago Midway once when he was the Ravens LB coach. We were both taking Southwest back to BWI. He was trying to maintain a low profile so I didn't bother him much but we spoke for a couple minutes. Very humble guy.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Something interesting I have noticed is that baseball players tend to be more self-centered and unpleasant to deal with unlike football players, who are more engaging and personable. Anyone else share that sentiment?

I haven't personally met any Ravens cause I don't live in the area. I swear to god one of these days I'll run into Flacco. I next to the town he grew up in, and his parents still live there. I've heard he still hangs around South Jersey a lot. One of these days I'll get lucky.

My girlfriend gets a lot of Eagles/Phillies/Flyers guys that come to eat at the restaurant she works at. She said the one guy none of the servers or bartenders like is Donovan McNabb. Apparently he runs up a huge tab by buying lots of people drinks and then leaves shitty tips. Not just one time either. Its a recurring thing

Now that I think of it I did meet Brian Dawkins and Koy Detmer when they were with the Eagles. Their sons were on my little brothers football team. Both seemed like stand up guys. They'd still talk to whoever came up to them even though they obviously were there to watch their kids play

Don't know. Went to an O's preseason luncheon where part of the deal was to get autographs. Eric Davis was there by the bar and I approached him. At first he was just like "Yeah in a sec". Admittedly I judged the book by the cover a bit (sunglasses on inside, bright blue suit, lots of flash) and figured he was gonna blow me off. He was just looking for some cash to tip the bartender then turned back to me and was very friendly. Lesson learned there.

Another guy who was a real jerk was Mike Gminski. Lived couple towns over when playing for the Nets. We'd see him around at the mall or wherever. He always denied he was Mike Gminski. To a bunch of kids. Really? You're just some other run of the mill 7 foot white guy? Darryl Dawkins on the other hand was super friendly.

Back to Vegas - we'd often ask cabbies and service professionals who were the good/bad tippers. Tiger was unanimously the worst tipper. Best story was a limo driver who said Ric Flair had got a ride for him and some others from Venetian to Mirage, which for those who don't know is right across the street. Nature Boy gave him $500.

Have to agree that Ray Rice is probably the nicest guy I have met. We go down to field-level before every game, and Tyrod Taylor is always really good with the fans. He gives away a lot of headbands, gloves, and wristbands almost every game. Also, Michael Oher signs EVERYONE's stuff before every home game as he walks in.

Shout out to Matt Birk, who will always go down as one of the best with fans.

I met Matt Stover at a swim meet. He was being a typical dad, running around the pool trying to get photos of his kids in the water, but he signed autographs for all of the kids who approached him. My wife talked to him for a couple of minutes, having no clue who he was, even though she would have recognized him instantly in a football context.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    I used to manage the EB Games in Owings Mills mall so I had a lot of player interactions. Met Ngata, Suggs, Adam Terry, Steve McNair, Ovie Mughilli, Billick, Boller, Mason, Clayton, Ja. Lewis, CMac, and a bunch of others.

I'd always give them my card with my cell written on it and tell them if they ever wanted any hard to find game or system to call me and I'd find them one. Got McNair a pair of Wiis back when you couldn't find one to save your life and he thanked me with an autographed helmet with about half the teams' signatures on it.

I also used to play Madden online with a couple of the bottom of the roster guys, and once Sizzle got in on it and I ended up sacking his QB with himself in the game.

These days whenever I run into Ravens I try to just get a handshake and tell them I'm a fan. I don't bother them for autographs and such because I find they're often more willing to actually talk to you if you just treat them like a normal person.

I mentioned in another thread that I ran into Pitta this week and that's exactly how it went down. Bunch of people were pestering him for pictures and autographs and he was clearly not in the mood to deal with the mob so when walked past me I just offered him my hand, wished him a great season and prepared to move on. I guess he was so relieved that I wasn't trying to get something from him that he actually took a minute to chat. Nice guy.
    I wonder if you worked there when I was going in while in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWedra View Post
    Have to agree that Ray Rice is probably the nicest guy I have met. We go down to field-level before every game, and Tyrod Taylor is always really good with the fans. He gives away a lot of headbands, gloves, and wristbands almost every game. Also, Michael Oher signs EVERYONE's stuff before every home game as he walks in.

Shout out to Matt Birk, who will always go down as one of the best with fans.
    What's your Matt Birk story?

On Saturday's when I was a kid we'd ride our bicycles up the street to Artie Donovan's liquor store cause that's the day he'd get the beer kegs in and he'd throw them around like they were nothin' telling jokes and making us all laugh like hell. Saw Mr. Unitas alot too. If you offered him money for an autograph he'd probably look at you like you had three heads. He never denied anybody his signature.

Edwin Mullitalo would always bring several players to the Ravens Roost convention in OC every year (It starts in 2 weeks btw). One year he, Rob Burnett, Marques Douglas, some safety we got from Indy, myself and a few fans sat around in beach chairs, shooting the bull after a volley ball game while Edgerton Hartwell (who was popular back then ;)) made mudpies in the sand with my 3 year old granddaughter. They hung out all weekend like regular folks.

One year our Roost got asked to help Ray Lewis throw a Christmas party for 2,000 Baltimore City school kids at Martins West. Ray's Mom put us all to work. Ray looked at me and said "There's gonna be 2,000 kids here, come up with a seating plan. You can handle it!" He hired some top notch Rap artists that were popular with kids to perform for them. Backstage he had a couple dozen bicycles lined up going down the hall and he played Santa Claus giving them away to the kids. Those kids were screaming for him. They loved him. After the party he sat down with us and talked for a good while. It was one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Last year downey Oshun, Kyle Richardson saw my grandson Mikie in his wheel chair (he has cerebral palsy) and he came over and put his Super Bowl ring on his finger. He said "the pleasure's all mine".

Baltimore football baby. And they wonder why we lead cheers. ;)
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

In the Pittsburgh airport in 2006 and saw a guy walking towards me that was really big dressed in a Michael Irvin special (dark brown plaid summer suit with short sleeves). I said to myself that this fucker looks like Rothlisberger. Well it was the Rapist. He was a few months removed from accident with scabs on his knuckles (and head.....when he sat down on the plane I could see the scab on the top of his head). He sat behind the counter so he wouldn't be disturbed but for the most part he was quiet. When I got off the plane in DC he walked thru a crowded Regan National with hardly any fanfare. One thing about him is he's truly a big guy (6'5"+, 260).

I met Brendan Ayenbadago in Regan a month ago. Cool dude. Ripped but looks like the Alien from Close Encounters From the Third Kind.

Rode on a flight with Eric Decosta for the Tits game in 2011. Cool, smart dude. If the Pats came calling to run the organization he's gone in a NY minute since he's a Boston guy. Family man through and through.

Zeus sat in my section at one game. Biggest human being I've ever seen next to Gheorge Muresean. Intimidating as hell but nice.

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    I met Matt Stover at a swim meet. He was being a typical dad, running around the pool trying to get photos of his kids in the water, but he signed autographs for all of the kids who approached him. My wife talked to him for a couple of minutes, having no clue who he was, even though she would have recognized him instantly in a football context.
    Matt Stover is a great, humble man. His daughter and my daughter played together in a youth rec lacrosse league when they were quite young (and Matt was in his prime), so we would chat it up on the sidelines all the time, talking about everything except football. The man has no ego and is extremely down to earth, and so is his wife.