Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    People who hate on Harbs love to say he doesn't call plays on game day and they're half right. But they lack the crucial bit of understanding about what he DOES do and how important it is.

He does what every non play calling coach does though which is instruct his coordinators with regards to his specific goals for each possession. He might tell Caldwell to pound the rock a bit and then let Jim pick the specific running plays. Or in this case he told Pees to stop the run at all costs and left the specifics to him.

A good general gives his men goals and allows them to achieve them in the way they see fit. His statement about the goal line stand is evidence that that is Harbs' philosophy.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Re: Lunch with John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I'd like to learn what book he's helping with or writing...Nestor is peddling "Purple Reign 2", a book he wrote about the SB season. It seems like an interesting piece, but it was written by Nestor, so I'm still not sure if I want to pay 30 dollars to read it (Side note, did anyone buy his Purple Reign 1 from the 2000 SB season? Was it pretty tolerable, in other words, no mention of how he's the king of Baltimore media, etc?). I'd love an in depth book about this season, so many compelling storylines to tackle.
    I actually read Nestor's book about SB35. It was awesome! (A wee bit self promoting, I know, shocker) But a great read about the guys & some of the behind the scenes stuff. I'm guessing Harbs is writing the foreword to the 2nd Nestor book. I know a lot of guys can't stand him, but I'll ready anything about our team & he gets some really great stuff from the interviews he does w/the players. I'd highly recommed reading the 1st book. He tells a story about how all the QBs played practical jokes on each other. That chapter alone was worth the price. And, you can always get the book pretty cheap if you wait a month or 2 & look on used book sites.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    ILeaders
    John was asked who would take Ray’s place. He said there would be players to fill the void in their own way – Ray Rice, Joe, Oher (emphasized that he’s been a real leader already), Sizzle.

2013 Season
    John made no bones about it – that the team is better now, and will surprise a lot of people next year.

Thanks, great post!

Oher is the 2nd tenured with the team (Yanda) and 3rd most experienced (BMac), I mentally needed to make the transition that he is now a full fledged veteran of our OL -Jah, Harewood, Gradkowski, Shipley. KO, Wagner, Jensen.... Great to hear he is a leader.

We will surprise people?
    We are the SB champions, every team will be up for us and giving their A game. We aren't surprising any team... but we will surprise a lot of fans and some (worthless) pompous talking heads, maybe Harbs was aware of the press doomsters when he said this?
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    People who hate on Harbs love to say he doesn't call plays on game day and they're half right. But they lack the crucial bit of understanding about what he DOES do and how important it is.

He does what every non play calling coach does though which is instruct his coordinators with regards to his specific goals for each possession. He might tell Caldwell to pound the rock a bit and then let Jim pick the specific running plays. Or in this case he told Pees to stop the run at all costs and left the specifics to him.

A good general gives his men goals and allows them to achieve them in the way they see fit. His statement about the goal line stand is evidence that that is Harbs' philosophy.
    IIRC, Harbs called for a zero blitz and Pees ignored him, thinking that would be the worst call ever. But I like that Harbs isn't a micromanager and trusts his guys.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post

This.

I'd also add most fans seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of the role of a HC. Very few HC's call the plays. I can think of a few off the top of my head and none were really good at it.

So when a fan with a low football IQ hears "He doesn't call the plays" they immediately jump to "he's just a figure head, lacky, etc" never once understating that's how 90% of HC's in the league operate.

Take a look at the great ones -- Belichick, Landry, Knoll, just to name a few -- they never would think of calling plays. Not so coincidentally, this team is built with a lot of branches from the Belichick coaching tree.

One more I forgot - He said that before the NE game at home last year he met Belichick on the field and Belichick said "you know, if you don't want to shake hands after the game, it's okay". John responded he thought they should. So right after the game, he saw Belichick running towards the official and thought he was running off the field. John yelled "Bill!" to get his attention for the handshake and watched Belichick grab the official's arm...thought "Wow, what's he doing?". John joked that Belichick probably thought he'd win the game thus the offer about dispensing with the handshake.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I've been saying this all along, but some people keep taking the bait on him being the "run game coordinator". That title is just made up. Lets be honest, Castillo is the OL coach.
    You and me both.

The second they hired him that is immediately what went through my mind. Why WOULDNT he be the OL coach?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    Thanks, great post!

Oher is the 2nd tenured with the team (Yanda) and 3rd most experienced (BMac), I mentally needed to make the transition that he is now a full fledged veteran of our OL -Jah, Harewood, Gradkowski, Shipley. KO, Wagner, Jensen.... Great to hear he is a leader.

We will surprise people?
    We are the SB champions, every team will be up for us and giving their A game. We aren't surprising any team... but we will surprise a lot of fans and some (worthless) pompous talking heads, maybe Harbs was aware of the press doomsters when he said this?
    I disagree regarding the "surprising teams" aspect.

Yes, the Ravens are the defending champs. However, they lost quite a bit this off-season. Many aren't giving them a chance in hell, which is why I think Harbs was saying that they are going to surprise people.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

"The Last Stand
    John said he ordered Pees to not let SF run it in…to blitz every down and make Kap throw it. I asked if the Washington game (when Collins was able to walk in the tying TD) influenced him. He said no, but the Philly game did – recall that Vick (similar style to Kap) ran it in on us late in that game."

Love it, love it, LOVE IT. Make the rookie make the play under pressure. Sometimes this'll get you burned, sometimes you win a SB. ;-)
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

Exactly Solo. He had just gutted the heart ouf of the D and the WR corps which is
    still the only weakness in the team.

It's good to leave the coords alone to call the plays. Tony interviewed Bisciotti years
    ago who wanted him to call a pass on the first play of the game. That was after
    Joe threw 4 INTs the week before. Bisciotti didn't care if it was completed kor not, just show the world that we had faith in Flacco.

Good thinking from the owner. HARBs said by golly, I love it Steve. I'll go down and
    tell Cam right away. Bisciotti goes up to his sky box and said mom, I know what
    the first play of the game is going to be and she said OH, that's wonderful Steve.

CAM runs the ball.

Bisciotti must have been pissed. I always respected CAM for being his own man and
    so is Pees.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-16-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

Yes, the Ravens are the defending champs. However, they lost quite a bit this off-season. Many aren't giving them a chance in hell, which is why I think Harbs was saying that they are going to surprise people.
    Time will tell. Most talking heads agree the Ravens picked up players that can solve most of the problems the defense had with stopping the run. Webb coming back healthy is a major plus. Joe and the offense will have the ability now to make the others teams defense practice for the Ravens running and passing attack. With Caldwell, other teams in the beginning of the year(Broncos), will not know what to expect. This will be an advantage the Ravens hadn't had before. You know the bronco defense will try to avenge their post season loss last year(especially Joe throwing long).

If Harbaugh has another successful year, people will give him the credit he deserves.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

I really think we are in agreement

Maybe I wasn't real clear in how I was saying it....
    I don't think we will surprise any NFL team.... they know who we added, Huff, Spears, Canty, Shipley.......Brown, Elam......
    The many who aren't giving us a chance are the hacks, and casual fans, so yes we will surprise a lot of people, but I think you could agree, we are not surprising Denver, or Cincy, or Pissburgh... but we could definitely surprise their fans.... or do you really think we will actually also surprise teams? I don't... but I am sure we are going to have some stadiums filing out in shocked silence, and I'm hoping that we start with a major paste-ing of Denver (like 34-9)
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old