Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Lunch with John Harbaugh

I attended a vendor presentation today with about 20 others. They hired John to come in over lunch and speak a bit, then to do a Q&A session and take pictures and chat afterwards. He signed footballs for everyone, gave away hats and signed a bunch of other stuff (like my SB ticket). Super nice guy, a little shorter than I thought but he has a presence. Thought I would share some of the Q&As, much of which is not new to many of us but he had some interesting twists.

Book Foreword
    He started by reading 2+ pages of text he wrote as a foreword to a book that’s being written (about the season I suppose). It was a summary of the trials and victories. He was quite proud of his work and asked us if we thought it was good (it was).

Cameron
    He said the parting was very mutual. They both knew that he wasn’t taking the offense where it needed to go, and Cam agreed with John that it was the only move to make. Still gushes what a great guy he is.

The SB Blackout
    He acknowledged that he went overboard with the league official near the end of the blackout (giving him the business). Explained that the NFL wanted to restart play at a certain time and that they were going to take the Ravens’ booth phones away and not give our coordinators time to exit the booth and come down to the field. SF’s phones were dead since the beginning and their people were on the field already. Told the official (paraphrasing) “you’ve already screwed us over with the rock-hard practice field and now you want to screw us again? We’ve already waited 35 minutes, take what time is needed and get it right!”

Jim Harbaugh
    He said Jim avoided him all during the lead-up to the game…to the point of excess. In NOLA, John wanted to talk to PK David Akers (John coached him for 10 years in Philly) and Jim wouldn’t let him, saying that John was up to no good. Said the Ravens were much looser as a team that week. I got a distinct impression that Jim is still in denial, and that John was enjoying it all. Obviously tremendous competitiveness between them.

The Last Stand
    John said he ordered Pees to not let SF run it in…to blitz every down and make Kap throw it. I asked if the Washington game (when Collins was able to walk in the tying TD) influenced him. He said no, but the Philly game did – recall that Vick (similar style to Kap) ran it in on us late in that game.

Torrey, McPhee
    John spent some time talking about the family losses the team experienced. He painted a picture on Torrey’s…got a call at 1:30am and was told that Torrey was in the facility crying his eyes out. Was told he had to drive to Virginia to see his mother. John seemed annoyed that anyone would seriously consider letting him drive, that the team would get someone to drive him. He just assumed that Torrey wasn’t playing against NE. Torrey actually changed his mind a couple times before deciding to play.

The Exodus
    He was asked about the players that left. Said it was all economics. Ed wanted $6MM and wasn’t backing off it. Pollard, he got visibly irritated that the public perception was that he was only dumped because he was outspoken. Said he has an open mike policy but with that comes responsibility “not to come off sounding like an idiot”. Said Pollard was $2.5MM and that they knew they could pay less and get the same production.

Rookies
    He’s excited about the draft class. Especially the fact that they are all great people, they all love football and they are workout warriors (which he loves). Noted that the Ravens have a part-time stretching coach on staff and all of them were in at 7am learning stretching techniques (you could tell he really liked this).

Leaders
    John was asked who would take Ray’s place. He said there would be players to fill the void in their own way – Ray Rice, Joe, Oher (emphasized that he’s been a real leader already), Sizzle. Said that when he came on in 2008, he didn’t understand Ray and thought the dance was too self-promoting. Ray told him why he did it – the fans and the players wanted him to – but he would stop if John wanted him to. John said “No, that is OK, keep doing it”.

2013 Season
    John made no bones about it – that the team is better now, and will surprise a lot of people next year.
    Last edited by camdenyard; 05-15-2013 at 10:59 PM.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Really, really good stuff Camden.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Given the open Pollard thread, did you get the impression that Harbs was blowing smoke up everyone's butt about it just being an economic issue?

Re: Lunch with John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Great stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Given the open Pollard thread, did you get the impression that Harbs was blowing smoke up everyone's butt about it just being an economic issue?
    I definitely got the impression that he was being honest about being able to save money and get the same production. I think he was really trying to convey a point about "coming off like an idiot"...without mentioning Pollard by name, it was clear to me the implication was he wore out his welcome. So I think both that and the ecomomics were factors. Makes sense.

Yeah great stuff, thanks!!

He seemed to be a little revealing with some stuff than I would imagine, but he was still definitely BSing the Pollard ordeal.

Blog Entries

Did he say anything about slot receiver? Moving Pitta or Rice in there some according to
    rumors we're hearing.

SF was definitely uptight in the first half of the game and then at the end and Jim is
    still whining. He seems like a prick to me.

There was a thread on another board that Billick wrote a book after the SB but HARBs
    goes back to working hard. They all write books and make tons speaking. What did
    HARBs get for speaking - $30,000? I know Billick was getting between $30,000-$100,000
    pr speech. He spoke before a group of businessmen and quoted his daughter as saying
    after SB35 - we just got a ton of money didn't we dad?

They all do. I know people who win Toastmasters contests and quite their jobs
    for public speaking and earn that much.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-16-2013 at 01:01 AM.

Blog Entries

Thanks for posting camden.

I am definitely looking forward to this coming season. Should be pretty exciting. I'm glad they bolstered the D. The NFC North has their quirks, but they have some pretty dynamic and potent offenses.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I'd like to learn what book he's helping with or writing...Nestor is peddling "Purple Reign 2", a book he wrote about the SB season. It seems like an interesting piece, but it was written by Nestor, so I'm still not sure if I want to pay 30 dollars to read it (Side note, did anyone buy his Purple Reign 1 from the 2000 SB season? Was it pretty tolerable, in other words, no mention of how he's the king of Baltimore media, etc?). I'd love an in depth book about this season, so many compelling storylines to tackle.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

He didn't say who was writing the book, but he wasn't, he was just providing this Foreword.

Nothing too deep on coming plans for next year in terms of player roles. It wasn't asked and he didn't volunteer.

One thing I forgot to mention - he did say he loved the OL as presently constituted, that we have very good depth. Said it was always the plan to bring back BMac. Also, and this was curious - he referred to Juan Castillo as the OL coach - not the run game coordinator. Andy Moeller is still listed as OL coach on the site. Freudian slip maybe?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    Also, and this was curious - he referred to Juan Castillo as the OL coach - not the run game coordinator. Andy Moeller is still listed as OL coach on the site. Freudian slip maybe?
    I've been saying this all along, but some people keep taking the bait on him being the "run game coordinator". That title is just made up. Lets be honest, Castillo is the OL coach.

Blog Entries

It sounds like that was his way of saying that Pollard abused the privilege and, for the money they were paying him, they were not getting enough production to justify putting up with the headache.

Now we see that the coaching staff was just as pissed off about the practice field as we were.

We all knew the Ed Reed situation. Ed wasn't budging and we still don't even know if Ozzie made an offer.

This was also further confirmation about the type of players they targeted in the draft.

I agree this team is better now.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Good stuff, I am sure you enjoyed it.

Interesting to me as that he told Pees what to run on the goal line stand. He does the same on offensive situations. I believe the reason we keep a fullback and sometimes play conservative 'possession' football is because Harb knows you can win that way.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!