Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Jimmy Smith gets 6 years in the slammer

Bummer.

I think I'll remember him and Brunnell as the main antagonists in the Greatest Ravens Game Ever Played Sept 10, 2000 in Baltimore. That was the day Baltimore Fandom was reborn and PSI Net Stadium reclaimed Baltimore's birthright as the Worlds Largest Outdoor Insane Asylum.

Jimmy Smith caught 15 passes for 291 yards including 3 TD's over 40 yards a peice. His last circus catch put the hated Jags up 36-32 with 1:55 remaining. It looked like we would once again get cheated out of our first ever win over Jacksonville.

Then Shannon Sharpe caught the winning TD pass from Tony Banks with 48 ticks left on the clock and all hell broke loose. Eye witnesses swear to this day that the upper deck actually shook as the Fans celebrated ecstatically. People were screaming and honking horns on every highway in every direction a full hour after the final whistle. It was the hallmark game of our young franchise.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...0009100rav.htm

It is a shame great players like this find a way to get themselves in trouble more often then could be wished. He'll be 50 when he gets out. I hope he will be successfull with a fresh start after he pays his debt to society.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Blog Entries

I just read that Chuck Muncie passed away. Muncie was another great player with drug addiction issues. The NFL wasn't able to catch Lawrence Taylor but went heavily after any player who they did catch. Muncie was suspended for an entire season and never really did get his career back after that. It's tough to watch these great players throw it all away.

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

Yea he always seemed to beast against us especially in our early years. Looking back those Jax teams were loaded and I can't believe they didn't even at least make it to a SB. Can't believe the dude is 44 already. I hope he gets his life back together but that being said it's hard to feel but so much sympathy for these guys. They almost literally get the world at their feet and piss it away on some BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    Bummer.

I think I'll remember him and Brunnell as the main antagonists in the Greatest Ravens Game Ever Played Sept 10, 2000 in Baltimore. That was the day Baltimore Fandom was reborn and PSI Net Stadium reclaimed Baltimore's birthright as the Worlds Largest Outdoor Insane Asylum.

Jimmy Smith caught 15 passes for 291 yards including 3 TD's over 40 yards a peice. His last circus catch put the hated Jags up 36-32 with 1:55 remaining. It looked like we would once again get cheated out of our first ever win over Jacksonville.

Then Shannon Sharpe caught the winning TD pass from Tony Banks with 48 ticks left on the clock and all hell broke loose. Eye witnesses swear to this day that the upper deck actually shook as the Fans celebrated ecstatically. People were screaming and honking horns on every highway in every direction a full hour after the final whistle. It was the hallmark game of our young franchise.

It is a shame great players like this find a way to get themselves in trouble more often then could be wished. He'll be 50 when he gets out. I hope he will be successfull with a fresh start after he pays his debt to society.
    Ah the memories. Remember this game like it was yesterday. This was the game we got the monkey off our back. Jags and especially JSmith were a royal pain in the butt.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I just read that Chuck Muncie passed away. Muncie was another great player with drug addiction issues. The NFL wasn't able to catch Lawrence Taylor but went heavily after any player who they did catch. Muncie was suspended for an entire season and never really did get his career back after that. It's tough to watch these great players throw it all away.
    According to this article Chuck managed to turn his life around and help others. I don't know if he had a relapse or anything, or if drugs had anything to do with his premature death.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...rgers/2158215/

I really liked this guy when he was with SD. Check out the part about him and Lyle Alzado lol.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    Bummer.

This was my first football game ever, had tickets in the lower corner of the end zone opposite of the tunnels and remember Smith catching that TD pass. I remember that mostly because it was real loud then all of a sudden got silent in the area when he got that TD and then the whole crowd blew up when Sharpe struck.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksouleyez View Post
    This was my first football game ever, had tickets in the lower corner of the end zone opposite of the tunnels and remember Smith catching that TD pass. I remember that mostly because it was real loud then all of a sudden got silent in the area when he got that TD and then the whole crowd blew up when Sharpe struck.
    Smith caught that last TD off the "tip drill". Can't remember who the DB was who almost intercepted it. Smith jogged into the end zone and my buddy throws down his empty beer cup and says, "they got us AGAIN!!!". But little did we know just a minute later Sharpe would make that catch, and yes indeed the upper deck shook that day. Not sure M&T has ever been louder since.

Found the Channel 13 highlight clip from that game on Youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIrJRLWomLQ

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    IIRC...his brother Nelson Munsey (different name spelling) was a DB for us in the mid/late 1970s he passed away in 2009.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_Munsey
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Ermergerd, the thread title....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Ah the memories. Remember this game like it was yesterday. This was the game we got the monkey off our back. Jags and especially JSmith were a royal pain in the butt.
    Shannan's TD was right in front of me. What a play. I was in the club level and you could
    see the opening and you knew it would be a TD.

Place went nuts, just like the old days with Unitas to Berry or Moore.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Shannan's TD was right in front of me. What a play. I was in the club level and you could
    see the opening and you knew it would be a TD.

Place went nuts, just like the old days with Unitas to Berry or Moore.
    I was in club that day also

Muncie was one of my FAVS and what a great offense they had in the early 80s. RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!