Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Benghazi is Starting to Blow Up

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I understand changes that occur on the ground and within the hours after the attack.

But that's not what happened here. Changes in talking points, event details, etc occurred at a much higher level some 60+ hours after the attack AND after 90% of the info was already collected.

Take a look at the email exchanges between the Director and the WH. It's very clear these are not SitRep changes. These are politically motivated changes.
    Oh don't misunderstand me HR. I agree pretty much everything thats taken place after the attack has been politically motivated. From the WH changing talking points and trying to spin it a certain way, to some in the GOP using it to continue their never ending war against Obama.

The thing that gets under my skin is people who say what we could've done DURING the attack. That's something I'm fully well verse in.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Oh don't misunderstand me HR. I agree pretty much everything thats taken place after the attack has been politically motivated. From the WH changing talking points and trying to spin it a certain way, to some in the GOP using it to continue their never ending war against Obama.

The thing that gets under my skin is people who say what we could've done DURING the attack. That's something I'm fully well verse in.
    Well, it is neither here nor there, but I had friends in a carrier strike force in the Med during that time. I'm not saying that they could have deployed anything in time, but it isn't like the US was devoid of military presence in the region.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

And this is well beyond GOP talking points.

I'm no fan of the GOP either, but this is a real scandal at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    You have your opinion and I have mine. We're just have to agree to disagree. On this incident I form my opinion from my training and experiences in military command and control, and my knowledge of first hand account on Benghazi, given where I currently work.
    Agree to disagree then.

One thing you cannot disagree with is that knowing how long we had to get there in hindsight has no bearing on the discussion.
    Last edited by Haloti92; 05-16-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Lots of folks comparing this to Watergate (or at least how the information has come out).

This combined with Fast and Furious could be really damaging to the administration.

My question to the Obama administration would be...Was all this really necessary? Had they just been up front with what happen initially this probably wouldn't still be an issue. Take credit for what happen and what calls were or weren't made, give your reasons why...but remind the American people that is was an attack by terrorists and they'll the bad guys. Then vow to ensure the safety of all diplomats world wide. Done. Case closed.

This whole cover-up or misdirection or whatever the hell their calling it just keeps growing. The WH has only given more fuel to the GOP. The democrats can kiss the mid term elections goodbye.

Was all this really worth it?

One thing you cannot disagree with is that knowing how long we had to get there in hindsight has no bearing on the discussion.
    True.

I feel like I may have come across as a prick earlier in this thread. I want to apologize for that. It's just that I take my job seriously and am very passionate about it. Hearing people say we could have done X, Y or Z to save those 4 lives....kinds feels like they're saying I didn't do my job that night. I know its not directed at me, but rather people higher on the totem pole, but still its makes me feel uneasy. I can tell you a lot of people at AFRICOM feel the same way.

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

I was wrong it was fast and furious, not the Benghazi incident, that he gave the same response about:

"There have been problems, you know. I heard on the news about this story that - - fast and furious, where allegedly guns were being run into Mexico and ATF knew about it but didn't apprehend those who had sent it."

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/wh-c...d-furious-news
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries

Real quick to pass the buck.

It's the fourth time he's pulled the "I learned it on the news" excuse. Another gem from John Stewart ....

http://clashdaily.com/2013/05/stewar...me-time-as-us/

And I don't buy the whole excuse about troops would not have made it in time.

Two people died right away in the initial attack. That's when the help calls first went out. It was a full seven hours until the last two people died.

So State knew people were still alive when they heard of the attack yet someone told the military to stand down. They had no idea if the attack was over or not since the embassy was a blaze. Seems reasonable to me you get troops started that way to save the lives of those still remaining.

Blog Entries
    It's the fourth time he's pulled the "I learned it on the news" excuse. Another gem from John Stewart ....

Two people died right away in the initial attack. That's when the help calls first went out. It was a full seven hours until the last two people died.

So State knew people were still alive when they heard of the attack yet someone told the military to stand down. They had no idea if the attack was over or not since the embassy was a blaze. Seems reasonable to me you get troops started that way to save the lives of those still remaining.
    Like I said, I had a good friend (who just returned home from deployment for over a year) who was on a destroyer in a carrier strike group. In fact, his destroyer is one of the most technically armed and advanced destroyers in the fleet. They were in the med.

Having been in the Navy, I can tell you first hand that we can dispatch jets in a short period of time. Would it have done anything? Who knows, but a couple of fighters flying overhead dropping some hardware may have scared them off and saved some lives in the process.

They'll launch a shit load of Tomahawks into Libya from the Med when they want to take out Qadaffi...

Just saying...something doesnt add up.

Oh, and I can also state with 100% confidence that the President does not find shit out from the news.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner

“I wouldn’t be surprised if President Obama learned Osama bin Laden had been killed when he saw himself announce it on television."

Ahahahaha!

Now I'm in no position to make a judgment on this, but 7 hours seems like an awfully long time.

Dade, what do you think about that time frame?
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Stewart hit the nail on the head.