Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Titus Young

1. Re: OT: Titus Young

Anyone else reminded of Chris Henry?
    Here's hoping he avoids a similar tragic fate.

I don't believe Keyshawn was IR'd. I think he was deactivated much like what the Eagles did with TO.

Blog Entries

Re: OT: Titus Young

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    Anyone else reminded of Chris Henry?
    Here's hoping he avoids a similar tragic fate.
    Good point. While we're at it, here's hoping that if & when he goes completely round the bend he doesn't impose "a similar tragic fate" on anyone else either.

I wonder if Young's ever been evaluated for traumatic brain injury? Going ballistic followed quickly by falling asleep sounds waaaay too strange to be nothing more than a personality quirk.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Good point. While we're at it, here's hoping that if & when he goes completely round the bend he doesn't impose "a similar tragic fate" on anyone else either.

I wonder if Young's ever been evaluated for traumatic brain injury? Going ballistic followed quickly by falling asleep sounds waaaay too strange to be nothing more than a personality quirk.
    It actually sounds just about right for a 3 year old.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheSpiderWebb View Post
    It actually sounds just about right for a 3 year old.
    Well, yeah--in a 3-year-old's body, which is wildly different from that of a 23-year-old man. (ETA: And with a brain that's only been developing for 3 years. Which again is enormously different in size & nerve complexity from one that's had 20 years more outside the womb.)

(I once saw an apocryphal story that someone once hired Jim Thorpe to follow a kid of about that age around for a single day & simply do whatever he did, & the famous athlete couldn't keep up. Probably urban legend--but anyone who's been around a 3-year-old understands the plausibility.)

I'm not making or taking any bets...but if it should turn out there is something organically the matter with Titus Young, a lot of people are going to owe him & the places where they trashed him an apology. I would, however, bet good money that damn few of them will have the decency to offer one.

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    There's a chicken and egg issue here. Maybe one of the reasons the Raiders are a "joke of a franchise" is that they get players who don't have the intestinal fortitude to fight through difficult times.

Imagine it's year 2000. You're a defensive player for the Ravens. Your side is playing lights-out, but on the other side of the ball the team goes five freaking games without denting the end zone. So you start bitching about the coaches and the offensive players in the press. You show up late for meetings. You half-ass it at practice. Your other defensive mates do the same. And instead of steamrolling into the playoffs, you lollygag your way to 7-9. After 8-8 the year before. And 4-12, 6-10 before that.

People would then say about you, "Well, it's not his fault. The Ravens are a joke of a franchise." See how that works?
    I will give you that perhaps my comment on Raiders being a "joke" is exaggerated. I am not completely sure of their situation, but what do I do see is a franchise that is not improving. That means they are doing something wrong. I believe that motivation comes from the top so somewhere along the line, the coaches or staff or whatever, are not connecting with their players.

He's being paid millions of dollars. There is no excuse not to act like a professional. Think of all the crap teams that Barry Sanders played for. Did he ever not give 100%? If you take the money then you owe it to your employer and your teammates to do the best you can no matter what the situation. If you can't do that then quit and do something else with your life.
    Yeah but he's also human. And while me and you might not understand how he's not kissing the owner's feet for paying him, this is equivalent of browsing the internet during work hours or wasting time at a water cooler or whatever else. It's natural for people to lose sight of what they are supposed to be doing even if you shower them with gold (probably especially if you shower them with gold).

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I'll say this...I would have very little respect for you or anyone else as a teammate who instead of trying to become part of the solution, decides that since the team is losing and doesn't like the coach that he is going to quit. A glaring lack of respect for your profession and your co-workers/teammates.

I mean do you realize how childish and weak all that you typed sounds? It's ok to for him to quit because he doesn't like the team he plays for and wants to play for someone else? Wow. I have played on teams where we hated our coaches and had bad/poor records. Using that as an excuse is really, really weak.

FYI, the Browns have been just as dysfunctional if not more over the past 10 years or so...they've gone through a ton of coaches, a ton of blown draft picks, a ton of different FO's, a ton of losing. Do you see Joe Thomas, Joe Haden, D'qwell Jackson, Alex Mack saying "hey, I want to play for the Ravens or Patriots, and I am tired of the losing and different poor coaches...I think I'm just going to "take myself out of the equation"...which is just another term for quitting.

He does have power to change something...his own freaking play and he could have started by getting in shape...he wasn't good in Oakland on his own. Stop acting like the Raiders made it impossible for anybody to succeed. And if you don't want to be somewhere, suck it up for the length of his contract...there is something called unrestricted free agency that allows players to make their own choice as to where they want to play after they have fulfilled their contract.

I'm just dumbfounded that someone is actually saying it's ok to quit on your team because you want to play for someone else.
    Perhaps I have not been clear enough. He asked Raiders not to draft him. They drafted him. More than they drafted him it appears they thrusted him into a playbook that he was not adapt/suited for. Now, I have not played football, but apparently 3-4 and 4-3 defenses require readjustment for players, not just a one day thing.

Some players are different than others. Browns play in a very tough (so far) division and actually try to win. They're not a bad team overall. They're just not on par with Ravens and sometimes Steelers and Bengals. I don't know the depths of the Browns office either, however, what I do know is that success starts from the top. You need to have dedicated coaches, trainers, and teams that want to win and want to try hard. When the players see that the coaches are excited to help the players perform to the best of their abilities, then players will do that too. Personal experience tells me that whenever a team sucks, typically the coach isn't a really good coach either.

It's one thing when the teams tries, which I believe Browns do, but may just not be always successful, versus Raiders, which, for the division they play in (at least in the pre-Manning era) have performed generally poorly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
    Perhaps I have not been clear enough. He asked Raiders not to draft him. They drafted him. More than they drafted him it appears they thrusted him into a playbook that he was not adapt/suited for. Now, I have not played football, but apparently 3-4 and 4-3 defenses require readjustment for players, not just a one day thing.

Some players are different than others. Browns play in a very tough (so far) division and actually try to win. They're not a bad team overall. They're just not on par with Ravens and sometimes Steelers and Bengals. I don't know the depths of the Browns office either, however, what I do know is that success starts from the top. You need to have dedicated coaches, trainers, and teams that want to win and want to try hard. When the players see that the coaches are excited to help the players perform to the best of their abilities, then players will do that too. Personal experience tells me that whenever a team sucks, typically the coach isn't a really good coach either.

It's one thing when the teams tries, which I believe Browns do, but may just not be always successful, versus Raiders, which, for the division they play in (at least in the pre-Manning era) have performed generally poorly.
    Then don't take the money. Bo Jackson didn't like what the Bucs did to him. The Bucs drafted Bo and Bo refused to sign with them. He ended up back in the draft the next year and went to the Raiders. No one forced McClain to sign the deal. Once he agreed to the contract he had an obligation to act like a professional no matter what his complaints. That he didn't do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rookie View Post

Please show me when and where he asked the Raiders not to draft him. And frankly, it doesn't matter...he doesn't get to pick where he wants to go. I could care less even if that were true.

I also don't care about the scheme change. This league is filled to the brim of players having to change and adapt when they get into the NFL. Are you kidding me with that nonsense?

As for the Browns and Raiders thing, it annoys the fuck out of me that someone just says a team isn't trying to win just because they haven't. The Raiders haven't had this string of losing due to not trying, it's just due to bad personnel decisions...like drafting Rolando McClain. The Raiders have ALWAYS spent a ton of money and nobody will ever convince me that Al Davis did not want to or try to win.

The Raiders are 10 years removed from a Super Bowl and actually have had a shot at winning their division twice in the past 3 years going into the final 2 weeks of the season. They also somehow manage to have quite a few very good players that make pro bowls despite everybody trying to make it out to be a place where it is impossible to succeed

I suggest you google the Browns owner, their record over the past 14 seasons and their long list of coaching and GM failures and come back and try and tell me again that they are any better. Their current owner who just bought the team last year is likely going to be forced out soon and they hired a TV analyst to be their GM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

How the hell did Detroit end up with Calvin Johnson?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Please show me when and where he asked the Raiders not to draft him. And frankly, it doesn't matter...he doesn't get to pick where he wants to go.
    Damn straight. It's not like he's John Elway or something.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Damn straight. It's not like he's John Elway or something.
    If only Al Davis was as dumb as Bob Irsay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.