Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Titus Young

Re: OT: Titus Young

There was a lot of talk on here 25 months ago about how Young should be drafted ahead of Torrey, which I believe he was. I doubt the Ravens would have chosen Young over Torrey though, given that they had already invested their first pick on a guy with fairly major character concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    When I played football, or any sport for that matter, I'd much rather get punched in the face and fight with than having that person quit on the team when times got tough...especially if his replacement stinks.

Is Young way out there? Yes and I agree that he has some severe mental issues that I don't think McClain has, but they both quit on their teams and were kicked off the team during the season...bad stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I disagree. I completely understand what McClain probably felt playing for the Raiders. A joke of a franchise that doesn't want to win. Silly coaches (read as "babysitters") and teammates who don't give two shits can be really discouraging.

I have played for teams that did not have adequate coaching and thus never provided any motivation to succeed or prove yourself. And when you spoke out because you thought that there's something "wicked in the state of Denmark" then you were immediately labeled as a rebel by the coaching staff and targeted.

Yeah, he does want to play for a real team. A team that actually tries to win, not let's a punter score a touchdown. Nothing wrong with that. If anything that means he's actually critical enough to comprehend what is going on around him. I'd rather not play than play on a team that doesn't want to win, give you support, or praise you when you do try.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I played on a Lacrosse team that went 0-9. We were pathetic.

It didn't even occur to me to quit on my team. Point is, a true test of character is how someone reacts when the chips are down. McClain decided he was more important than the team.
    Yeah but there's a difference between being outclass by a superior team or just have a team which doesn't try. I'm fine with losing in a fair fight, where you know you gave it all and the other team just played or executed better. However, when you're held back by inadequate coaching (Although Hue Jackson was decent. It probably extends deeper, like what Flacco felt) and you get really frustrated that you don't have any power to change anything.

The Ravens had test of character after the Houston game or after the three game losing skid. That's an example of when chips are down. A good team just trying to pull themselves together. Raiders have not been in that situation for years. They're a sucky team who happen to get a guy who didn't want to be there in the first place and who comes into the locker room and sees an incurable mess. McClain shows his discontent the best he can. He can't change the system so instead so he decided to take himself out of the equation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Idk what to say. Will he ever get a shot in the NFL again? He needs serious help.
    Would you employ someone like that? I wouldn't. I also wouldn't be the GM putting my ass on the kind with my owner to take a chance on a guy like this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Would you employ someone like that? I wouldn't. I also wouldn't be the GM putting my ass on the kind with my owner to take a chance on a guy like this.
    No I wouldn't, but part of me feels sorry for this kid. His life could be ruined now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
    I disagree. I completely understand what McClain probably felt playing for the Raiders. A joke of a franchise that doesn't want to win. Silly coaches (read as "babysitters") and teammates who don't give two shits can be really discouraging.

I have played for teams that did not have adequate coaching and thus never provided any motivation to succeed or prove yourself. And when you spoke out because you thought that there's something "wicked in the state of Denmark" then you were immediately labeled as a rebel by the coaching staff and targeted.

Yeah, he does want to play for a real team. A team that actually tries to win, not let's a punter score a touchdown. Nothing wrong with that. If anything that means he's actually critical enough to comprehend what is going on around him. I'd rather not play than play on a team that doesn't want to win, give you support, or praise you when you do try.
    There's a chicken and egg issue here. Maybe one of the reasons the Raiders are a "joke of a franchise" is that they get players who don't have the intestinal fortitude to fight through difficult times.

Imagine it's year 2000. You're a defensive player for the Ravens. Your side is playing lights-out, but on the other side of the ball the team goes five freaking games without denting the end zone. So you start bitching about the coaches and the offensive players in the press. You show up late for meetings. You half-ass it at practice. Your other defensive mates do the same. And instead of steamrolling into the playoffs, you lollygag your way to 7-9. After 8-8 the year before. And 4-12, 6-10 before that.

People would then say about you, "Well, it's not his fault. The Ravens are a joke of a franchise." See how that works?
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Yeah but there's a difference between being outclass by a superior team or just have a team which doesn't try. I'm fine with losing in a fair fight, where you know you gave it all and the other team just played or executed better. However, when you're held back by inadequate coaching (Although Hue Jackson was decent. It probably extends deeper, like what Flacco felt) and you get really frustrated that you don't have any power to change anything.

The Ravens had test of character after the Houston game or after the three game losing skid. That's an example of when chips are down. A good team just trying to pull themselves together. Raiders have not been in that situation for years. They're a sucky team who happen to get a guy who didn't want to be there in the first place and who comes into the locker room and sees an incurable mess. McClain shows his discontent the best he can. He can't change the system so instead so he decided to take himself out of the equation.
    He's being paid millions of dollars. There is no excuse not to act like a professional. Think of all the crap teams that Barry Sanders played for. Did he ever not give 100%? If you take the money then you owe it to your employer and your teammates to do the best you can no matter what the situation. If you can't do that then quit and do something else with your life.

Blog Entries

With the bad luck that Detroit has had with drafting WRs, I'm still amazed that they took Calvin Johnson.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Young goes from idiot to full blown douchebag ...

Young decided to verbally abuse workers at an AT&T store for refusing to let him in then proceeds to take a nap in the middle of the store. Pics are in the article ....

http://deadspin.com/titus-young-will...tore-496122722
    Man this dude is like EPIC level douche bag. I say we sign him just because he is obviously the best at what he does.

Blog Entries

Has any player ever been put on IR for a mental condition? TY sounds like a prime candidate for a team willing to gamble the vet minimum & talk him into a treatment program.

I'll say this...I would have very little respect for you or anyone else as a teammate who instead of trying to become part of the solution, decides that since the team is losing and doesn't like the coach that he is going to quit. A glaring lack of respect for your profession and your co-workers/teammates.

I mean do you realize how childish and weak all that you typed sounds? It's ok to for him to quit because he doesn't like the team he plays for and wants to play for someone else? Wow. I have played on teams where we hated our coaches and had bad/poor records. Using that as an excuse is really, really weak.

FYI, the Browns have been just as dysfunctional if not more over the past 10 years or so...they've gone through a ton of coaches, a ton of blown draft picks, a ton of different FO's, a ton of losing. Do you see Joe Thomas, Joe Haden, D'qwell Jackson, Alex Mack saying "hey, I want to play for the Ravens or Patriots, and I am tired of the losing and different poor coaches...I think I'm just going to "take myself out of the equation"...which is just another term for quitting.

He does have power to change something...his own freaking play and he could have started by getting in shape...he wasn't good in Oakland on his own. Stop acting like the Raiders made it impossible for anybody to succeed. And if you don't want to be somewhere, suck it up for the length of his contract...there is something called unrestricted free agency that allows players to make their own choice as to where they want to play after they have fulfilled their contract.

I'm just dumbfounded that someone is actually saying it's ok to quit on your team because you want to play for someone else.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Has any player ever been put on IR for a mental condition? TY sounds like a prime candidate for a team willing to gamble the vet minimum & talk him into a treatment program.
    The Bucs suspended Keyshawn Johnson for a year because of his attitude. They refused to release him. I'm pretty sure that's not allowed anymore under the new CBA but that's the closest thing I can remember to be put on IR for a non-injury.
    Last edited by GOTA; 05-09-2013 at 11:47 AM.