Re: NBA playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Well, yeah.

See Yankees of the past 25 years.
    That's a team buying a championship :D

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Forgot about Shaq.

But it really just depends on if the owner is willing to spend.

Miami is a middle of the road revenue team.
    Agreed and in that dynamic is where the similarity to baseball lies. Ted Leonsis has money coming out of his ass yet is running the Wizards into obscurity. Meanwhile, mid revenue teams with owners who have cash to toss around can snatch up talent with ease.

I'd love to see a salary cap / floor system in the NBA but that will never happen.

Blog Entries

Agreed and in that dynamic is where the similarity to baseball lies. Ted Leonsis has money coming out of his ass yet is running the Wizards into obscurity. Meanwhile, mid revenue teams with owners who have cash to toss around can snatch up talent with ease.

I'd love to see a salary cap / floor system in the NBA but that will never happen.
    I think its more about endorsements than anything. large market teams attract players because theres higher marketability in those cities. Its why the star players of lesser teams always seem to wind up in LA, Boston, NY, etc. They either go there, or ask to be traded there. despite there being some stretches of just down right awful play from those teams (looking at my knicks on that one). so i dont think its so much teaming up with other stars, its just thats where they want to be and other stars are attracted for the same reasons. not all cases obviously.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I think its more about endorsements than anything. large market teams attract players because theres higher marketability in those cities. Its why the star players of lesser teams always seem to wind up in LA, Boston, NY, etc.
    Kevin Durant seems to be doing just fine.

There still is a salary cap though in the NBA.

There is absolutely nothing to stop the Yankees from signing the top UFA every year other than Stienbrenner.

The Heat and all other teams can't because they have no cap space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    There still is a salary cap though in the NBA.

There is absolutely nothing to stop the Yankees from signing the top UFA every year other than Stienbrenner.

The Heat and all other teams can't because they have no cap space.
    They have a cap in name only. Their so-called soft cap has so many exceptions they may as well have no cap at all.

So let me clarify. I wish they had a hard cap system like the NFL.

Blog Entries

I dont know jack about basketball.

However, it seems to me that it is probably only a matter of time before Kevin Durant goes to another team in a bigger market.

Since he's from DC, maybe he'll come to the Wizards [yea, right].

I never understood that about basketball. It just always seems like the same teams are bad every year and the same teams are really good or in the playoffs. There is very little parity. To me, that makes the NBA boring.

HoustonRaven, et al, do you guys think that is because of the soft salary cap stuff vs the hard cap?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

They have a cap in name only. Their so-called soft cap has so many exceptions they may as well have no cap at all.

So let me clarify. I wish they had a hard cap system like the NFL.
    I don't agree with that.

No it's not the NFL cap. But it's also far from being no cap at all.

The soft cap is to help keep your own players. It allows that to happen while also preventing them from stocking up on free agents.

Like I said before, if there wasn't a cap in the NBA, and Mickey Arison wanted to spend the money, they would be able to at this point sign a Dwight Howard and Chris Paul.

They can't...not because they don't want to, but because they can't.

They completely stripped the roster clean when they signed the big 3 and they filled up all their cap space that has prevented them from being able to fill out the rest of the roster with high quality role players...their potential fatal flaw.

Last edited by Raveninwoodlawn; 06-18-2013 at 11:11 AM.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

It just seems backwards to me that people hate LeBron for making a choice that was right for him. He did it in the wrong way but he has already stated his regret for that. The amount of vitriol directed towards a player that is otherwise known as a stand up guy is just dumbfounding.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I dont know jack about basketball.

However, it seems to me that it is probably only a matter of time before Kevin Durant goes to another team in a bigger market.

Since he's from DC, maybe he'll come to the Wizards [yea, right].

I never understood that about basketball. It just always seems like the same teams are bad every year and the same teams are really good or in the playoffs. There is very little parity. To me, that makes the NBA boring.

HoustonRaven, et al, do you guys think that is because of the soft salary cap stuff vs the hard cap?
    The short answer to your last question is yes. It allows teams to keep (not sign) any player they want provided the owner has the cash as opposed to the NFL where teams often have to let good players walk.

The long answer is that it's not that simple. The vast majority of the Celtics championships were in the 60's. The Lakers also have been historically good before salaries were big. Hell, the franchise with the most championships in the last 15 years are the Spurs. The NBA is a star driven league and you need superstars on your team to win...and you need really smart front offices to get them since there aren't a lot out there. Milwaukee is a bad team because they have a poor front office, same with the Kings. But OKC is in just as small a market but have a good front office. You have to draft one and you can't miss and honestly, a lot of drafts don't even have a single franchise guy.

I thought mentioning buyin championships would cause a stir.

For reference heres payrolls individu and team.http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm

All 3 of those big three took paycuts, and obviously have superior talent to he rest of thr league. DWade had a ring, and miami looked good without lebron as he came after bosh and wade made their decisions no pun intended

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by conviction View Post
    I thought mentioning buyin championships would cause a stir.

For reference heres payrolls individu and team.http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm

All 3 of those big three took paycuts, and obviously have superior talent to he rest of thr league. DWade had a ring, and miami looked good without lebron as he came after bosh and wade made their decisions no pun intended
    So if they took paycuts, how are the "buying championships"?