Page 31 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA playoffs

Blog Entries

Re: NBA playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I was only 1 when he was drafted, so depending on if you consider the mid 90s his prime or his first few years when he was a more complete player. I saw and remember all 6 championships. I didnt get to see him his first 4 years or so but Ive seen a lot of those early games on Classic. I think his athletic prowess wained in that last run with Bulls. He still dominated games, but it wasnt his athletic ability doing it at that point. there were better athletes at that time than him, which i think even some of the most devout Jordan fans will say he wasnt the elite athlete he was by then. LBJ hasnt hit that decline yet so cant really compare fairly as far as longevity, but no matter how athletic he was, he wasnt physically gifted enough to be able to do that. hypothetically, sure, but hypothetically I could argue if Spud Webb was a foot taller, 100lbs heavier that he may have been on that level too.
    In reality we are comparing apples and oranges, hypothetically IMO, the only thing stopping Jordan from being able to defend bigger guys is his size.

I would like to know though who during his playing career, mainly his prime (say 86/87 - 94/95) who was a better athlete than Jordan. I can't think of anyone, not who was one the court for a good number of minutes anyway.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    In reality we are comparing apples and oranges, hypothetically IMO, the only thing stopping Jordan from being able to defend bigger guys is his size.

I would like to know though who during his playing career, mainly his prime (say 86/87 - 94/95) who was a better athlete than Jordan. I can't think of anyone, not who was one the court for a good number of minutes anyway.
    95 is when he returned and although still great it would be about my cutoff as well. 96 was the introduction of Iverson and Kobe and the new era.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post

And the only thing stopping me from being good at basketball is my size.

Being bigger and stronger than everybody else is what makes somebody a good player. You can't throw that out the window. We don't get to say, "Well if MJ was as tall as LeBron he would have been a better defender!". MJ was what he was.

I heard on Mike and Mike that in the 2-3-2 format, in a series tied 1-1, game 3 decides the series ~94% of the time. Don't need a stat to tell me it is but the proof is in the pudding.

I thought Spurs looked in prime position to steal game 2 until towards the end of the third quarter. Tonight should be a heated match up (no pun intended) but I don't expect Spurs to have 17 turnovers which lead to Heat getting the ball pushed up the court, mismatches, easy buckets.

Blog Entries

Yes game 3 is critical, at least history tells us that.

Here's a pretty decent filmstudy on game 2 for those interested: http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/0...a-game-2-cage/

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

The Spurs didn't lose that game just because of turnovers.

They have been a middle of the pack team in terms of turnovers anyway throughout the season...the 4 turnovers was by far the most out of the norm as opposed to the 17. 17 is a lot, but it's not like that number is embarrassingly bad.

The Spurs lost because Miami's role players stepped up. THAT is the key here as role players traditionally don't travel well...I'd expect the Spurs role players to play a lot better and Miami will need more points from their big 3.

This series is going 7.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

The 17 turnovers is indicative to their poor play and the fact they were out of sync.

Do you think that the Spurs will keep their defensive strategy of focusing on LeBron?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    The Spurs didn't lose that game just because of turnovers.

They have been a middle of the pack team in terms of turnovers anyway throughout the season...the 4 turnovers was by far the most out of the norm as opposed to the 17. 17 is a lot, but it's not like that number is embarrassingly bad.

The Spurs lost because Miami's role players stepped up. THAT is the key here as role players traditionally don't travel well...I'd expect the Spurs role players to play a lot better and Miami will need more points from their big 3.

This series is going 7.
    Both teams averaged 14ish during the season. its not just TOs, its TO ratio. 16:6 heat win big, 8:4 Spurs win a close game. Heat have been really good with TOs both games, well below average yet the results differ depending on what the Spurs did. I think they did lose that game because of the TOs. I dont think either team was running away with it and it would have been close had they not been that bad. Neither team really shot all that well. I do think role playes are huge in this series, but TOs are as well.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    And the only thing stopping me from being good at basketball is my size.

Being bigger and stronger than everybody else is what makes somebody a good player.
    You can't throw that out the window. We don't get to say, "Well if MJ was as tall as LeBron he would have been a better defender!". MJ was what he was.
    Than why was MJ better than everyone else when he wasn't the biggest or strongest?

But we are getting to far away from the point. It was just that MJ couldn't do what Lebron did, and it wasn't because of lack of skill it was because of physical limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Both teams averaged 14ish during the season. its not just TOs, its TO ratio. 16:6 heat win big, 8:4 Spurs win a close game. Heat have been really good with TOs both games, well below average yet the results differ depending on what the Spurs did. I think they did lose that game because of the TOs. I dont think either team was running away with it and it would have been close had they not been that bad. Neither team really shot all that well. I do think role playes are huge in this series, but TOs are as well.
    Miami was shooting 50% until Spo took the starting unit out in the middle of the 4th. The Heat certainly shot the ball well. Outside of Danny Green, nobody on the Spurs did. Even with all the scrubs in for 5 minutes, it was 49% to 41%. That played a bigger role than turnovers IMHO.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Miami was shooting 50% until Spo took the starting unit out in the middle of the 4th. The Heat certainly shot the ball well. Outside of Danny Green, nobody on the Spurs did. Even with all the scrubs in for 5 minutes, it was 49% to 41%. That played a bigger role than turnovers IMHO.
    just curious but what was the % before they started scoring layups at will in the 3rd and went on that huge run? I would think it was a lot closer. end result, obviously Heat outplayed them, but my point was at the time when it was neck and neck they played very similar.
    -JAB

There is no doubt the Heat shot well and played well but regardless of how you state it the Spurs played poorly