Page 24 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA playoffs

Blog Entries

Re: NBA playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Miami got away from sharing the ball last series because they went up against the best elite defense last series and the Spurs are a mediocre defensive team.

Miami's kryptonite is against those big, slow, defensive teams. They thrive against fast paced offensive teams (which the Spurs are every bit of) like OKC, San Antonio, Brooklyn etc.

Bottom line IMHO, is that yes, the Pacers gave the blueprint. But the Spurs don't have the personnel to pull it off.

Now the Spurs can definitely beat Miami, but it's not going to be in any way resembling the way the Pacers (or Bulls, or Grizzlies) would.
    Im not so sure Howard has fallen off as you say. He didnt play up to his standard, but his standard was without a doubt the best. Its just open for debate. he still rebounds well, still blocks shots, if anything his offense is what has suffered this year. The last 4 makes more sense than career and the last season makes more than anything. Bosh isnt a 23/11 guy. it was an aberration imo due to the rest of the guys sitting. I dont think he plays that well for 4+ games. Duncans was more inline with his average. Memphis makes more sense as they play more like Indy (1 and 2 in defense, west/Hibbert vs Gasol/Zbo but lets not say mediocre defense. the heat were 5th best and the Spurs allowed 1 pt more a game. With Duncan and Splitter they have an ability to play that Big-centric slow defense if needed. Maybe knowing how Pop changes gameplans and styles as needed Im assuming he does change things up to that style rather than what theyve been doing. I think its Miamis weakness, which so do you, so why wouldnt the Spurs exploit that? Im not saying Splitter is in the same class as those guys, but they certainly have the personnel to go big if they choose and as effective as its been i could definitely see them doing so for stretches.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 06-04-2013 at 01:17 PM.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    To what degree? RiW says to equal out Duncan while claiming 20/10 isnt out of the question for Tim. I dont see Bosh getting anywhere near that. is it just better that 11/4? Thats fair enough. I can say 13/7 is his average in playoffs and not expect him to get more than that.

I get what you guys are saying, and theoretically I see where that makes sense. Ive heard from multiple Heat Fans (including ones that thought the Warriors were a worse matchup for the Heat ). Believe me although we disagree, i understand matchups. I just think this is a bigger one than you guys. Saying a physical specimen like Hibbert changes things is legitimate and a guy will test his rebounding, stamin, etc. Then a guy like Barkley @ 6'6"(.. or 6'-4" if you believe your eyes) comes in and blows that theory to shit. Duncan obviously isnt the "round mound", but he is considerably larger/stronger stil than Bosh (who if im reading properly bulked up to 250 in his Raptors days, but cut back down to 235 - LINK).
    To what degree I'm not sure. I think it depends on how effective the rest of the team is on offense and defense. This is a series unlike last where Shane Battier should have significant playing time since he won't be on David West. If Miami is smothering San Antonio and getting out and running Bosh will be used less. If this is a half court game (which I don't see that, at least for the majority of the series) than he will be needed more. I get Duncan's size, but his quickness and explosiveness are what's left him at 37 and a 15 + year career. Bosh does have that advantage on him

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    Had the feeling that the Heat were turning their game on and off at will.
    no doubt there is some of that going on. When they have to take over a game/quarter they can do it. At least so far

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

To what degree? RiW says to equal out Duncan while claiming 20/10 isnt out of the question for Tim. I dont see Bosh getting anywhere near that. is it just better that 11/4? Thats fair enough. I can say 13/7 is his average in playoffs and not expect him to get more than that.

I get what you guys are saying, and theoretically I see where that makes sense. Ive heard from multiple Heat Fans (including ones that thought the Warriors were a worse matchup for the Heat ). Believe me although we disagree, i understand matchups. I just think this is a bigger one than you guys. Saying a physical specimen like Hibbert changes things is legitimate and a guy will test his rebounding, stamin, etc. Then a guy like Barkley @ 6'6"(.. or 6'-4" if you believe your eyes) comes in and blows that theory to shit. Duncan obviously isnt the "round mound", but he is considerably larger/stronger stil than Bosh (who if im reading properly bulked up to 250 in his Raptors days, but cut back down to 235 - LINK).

In the crunch time of close games, LBJ probably guards Parker, I would think unless Duncan is going off. Basically whoever is the biggest threat. Its a good question though, probably Kawhi Leonard for most of the game. I like Leonard but LBJ wont be effected much this series. Parker should have a mismatch with all of the Heats PGs and although I think Duncan has a good series, I wont go as far to say itll be the difference. I truly think it comes down to the bench and/or Wades health.
    Barkley never wore down because he never played any defense. You think Barkley would wanted any part of banging defensively with Hibbert?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Bosh was pretty horrible imo. a big man shooting 23% is atrocious. His rebounding was huge though. Wade finally played a game with some urgency and just like MJ needed Pippen, LBJ needs wade to get those 20 or so a game. I thought James had a really effective night considering his 32 pts mostly came off of trying to get Wade and Bosh (and Allen to a lesser degree) involved. They kind of forced that issue to their own detriment a little in the early goings. Luckily Wade got going, because Bosh never did offensively.

The Spurs are just a solid team. Im a knicks fan at heart, but ive rooted for the Spurs since Duncan was drafted. They play the game the right way, even if it isnt flashy. If the Heat had issues with Hibbert, Duncan is going to give them much worse. I think Parker will do pretty good in the series and lebron will get his. Wade and Duncan I dont expect to have too much issues so it may come down to who gets more out of role players. I like the Spurs chances and in no way am i going to say its a lock, but i wouldnt bet against Pop for getting more out of less.
    Bosh is a face up 4 who just had the worst match ups possible for him during this series. He'll play well against Duncan and company and give Timmy fits. Duncan however will be the reason that the games will be close and down to the wire.

I also expect D Wade to play well because he had to expend a lot of energy guarding Paul George with a balky knee to boot.

Parker is going to be a nightmare for the Heat but LeBron will be even worse for the Spurs. Look for James to attack Leonard to draw fouls against him and look for Wade and Allen to have their way against Manu and Green. Manu BTW will be the one that everyone will be talking about as old, slow and ready to retire.

Heat in 6.

Blog Entries

I also say Heat in 6.

this could be like Super Bowl 35. the giants came in after beating the vikings 44-0 while the ravens were battle tested by going through tennesse and oakland. the spurs haven't had that much competition in the playoffs while the heat have been through two physical series.

you guys are talking about the bigs. my question is who takes care of parker.

battiea, allen and miller will have to hit threes consistently for the heat to have a chance. i'm routing for lebron.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens75 View Post
    Bosh is a face up 4 who just had the worst match ups possible for him during this series. He'll play well against Duncan and company and give Timmy fits. Duncan however will be the reason that the games will be close and down to the wire.

I also expect D Wade to play well because he had to expend a lot of energy guarding Paul George with a balky knee to boot.

Parker is going to be a nightmare for the Heat but LeBron will be even worse for the Spurs. Look for James to attack Leonard to draw fouls against him and look for Wade and Allen to have their way against Manu and Green. Manu BTW will be the one that everyone will be talking about as old, slow and ready to retire.

Heat in 6.
    I dont just dont see bosh giving duncan fitz as much as duncan giving bosh fitz.

I thought lebron was matched up with george, which he held him to 7 and fouled him out. One of those things that makes james so damn good.

I agree i think parker and LBJ both go off. I think neither team really has an answer for the other. Manu most likely will play the ray allen role for the spurs. Big threes but not much else. I dont think hell be considered any older than he is, everybody knows hes near the end as well.

Im not comfortable calling a winner let alone in how many games. I really think it goes 7 regardless of winner. These teams are that close. Im a spurs/duncan fan but also think LBJ is the next GOAT so whoever wins ill be happy for different reasons. Im just looking forward to a great finals.
    -JAB

Blog Entries
    Fun starts tonight just wish the games weren't so damn late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Fun starts tonight just wish the games weren't so damn late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree, seems every sport is catered to the west coast. for once id like to be able to watch a game without going to work on only a few hours sleep.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

I agree, seems every sport is catered to the west coast. for once id like to be able to watch a game without going to work on only a few hours sleep.
    Same here.

The last Heat series should have started at 8. This one should be 8:30 to accommodate the Spurs fans in San Antonio, not 9! What about the rest of us!?!?

Should be a great series. I say the Spurs in 6. I'm biased since I'm a lifelong Spurs fan.

I do think the Spurs D is good maybe not as good as the Pacers but the Spurs offense is 10 times better as well. I think a lot of people sleep on the Spurs since they are a small market team. Don't get me wrong the Heat are damn good.

But I just think the Spurs have a better coach and a hell of a team that can play many styles.

I can't wait to see what happens.