Page 4 of 74 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA playoffs

Re: NBA playoffs

Its easy for all of us, including myself, to sit here and say that D.Rose should be playing. Remember a great young player who was the franchise guy and had a bright future, named Brandon Roy?

In the first round of Western Conference playoffs, they were up against a far superior Phoenix Suns team (which made the WCF). It was a losing battle and after having surgery, Brandon Roy was rushed in to try and win the series. He got hurt again and they got knocked out. He was forced to retire early.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    He's been practicing with the team for two months. His excuse isn't that his body isn't ready. It's his "mind not being in the right place".

I know people heal in different ways but this is getting to be ridiculous.
    The mind is the last and most important part of his body to heal.

I have watched that guy give his all for the last 4-5 years...he is an amazing competitor.

If he's not ready, he's not ready, and I don't trust Thibs to monitor his minutes at all.

He and the Bulls should just declare him out and it would put all this talk to bed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

.... except he's been medically cleared to play.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    so glad i dont waste my time with the nba lol
    I feel the same about the NHL but don't post it in their thread

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

.... except he's been medically cleared to play.
    Gilbert Arenas was medically cleared to play. So was Grant Hill.

Both still came back too soon due to team/fan pressure and were never the same.

Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Gilbert Arenas was medically cleared to play. So was Grant Hill.

Both still came back too soon due to team/fan pressure and were never the same.
    Not sure how you can attribute both to rushing back, especially Gil. His numbers did not tumble all that much after the knee injury and I'd say his "issues" led to his dismissal more so than his knee. He's doing just fine in the CBA right now.

Not sure how you can attribute both to rushing back, especially Gil. His numbers did not tumble all that much after the knee injury and I'd say his "issues" led to his dismissal more so than his knee. He's doing just fine in the CBA right now.
    You think the Wizards would have booted him off the team if he was the Gilbert Arenas of old? He had gotten to that stature of a guy who would have had a TON of leeway. He was clearly, clearly nowhere near the same player and it killed his career and had multiple failed comebacks.

Anyway...from the horses mouth...

Still, Arenas to some degree blames the club for his failed comebacks over the past two seasons, saying he was given too much power over his own situation.
    “They handled me going off what they had seen before and said, ‘You can’t lift weights because you might chip a bone,’ ” Arenas said. “That’s their experience. Everybody has theirs. It took me two years to realize that I was a case study. Ultimately, I can prove I can get hurt, sit out two years and come back and be as good as I was.
    “If you have a kid that loves basketball, that eats, sleeps, drinks and thinks basketball and all he knows is basketball and he gets hurt and he’s your franchise player, you need to hold him back from himself,” Arenas said. “If I’m saying I feel good and you know it’s supposed to take six months, instead of letting me at four months run … they should have held me back. Rather than saying, ‘Let’s let this guy do what he wants and use him to sell tickets’ - sometimes you have to protect players from themselves. I don’t feel like I got that type of protection. But, I don’t judge them for that. Some things just happen. I told them I felt OK because I wanted to play, and they did what they did.”

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz2Szyj3lLW
    Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
    As for Grant Hill...

Toward the end of that season, Hill’s ankle started bothering him. The Pistons’ trainers treated it and Hill continued playing, but the ankle kept getting worse. After he pulled himself from a game, the team’s doctors assured him that it was merely a bone bruise. Hill sat out the last few games of the regular season, amid criticism that he was worried about jeopardizing his free-agent payday. He returned for the playoffs, but in his second game he felt a “pop” in his ankle. Hill couldn’t go on. The ankle was diagnosed as broken. He underwent surgery four days later.

The story might still have ended happily. In August 2000, three months after his ankle surgery, the Orlando Magic signed Hill to a seven-year, $93 million deal. In September, Orlando cleared him to scrimmage against his new teammates. “I’m going against guys on the Magic that six months earlier I averaged 40 points against,” Hill said. “And I’m not feeling right.”

Hill had four more surgeries and was never right again. He had a long career as a journeyman but he never was the same player again. Not close.

The Magic had made a mistake, pushing Hill back onto the court before his ankle had fully healed. But Hill had made a mistake, too, deferring to the judgment of the team’s doctors and ignoring his own instincts. He stayed in the NBA — he may retire this summer, at 40, after spending the season with the Los Angeles Clippers — but he never played with the same confidence again. “If I had sat out for a whole season, who knows what would have happened?” Hill said.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...me-back-early/
    It's Rose's career, his future, his body. If he doesn't feel right, regardless of what team doctors say...a team that has a reputation of overworking and pushing it's players to the limit...he shouldn't play.

Blog Entries

It wouldn't be so bad if the depth behind him wasn't hurt too. Honestly the Bulls aren't going to win this series anyway so I guess he may as well stay in a suit, but could you imagine Ray Lewis doing that? It's totally lame IMO

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_Raven View Post
    Its easy for all of us, including myself, to sit here and say that D.Rose should be playing. Remember a great young player who was the franchise guy and had a bright future, named Brandon Roy?

In the first round of Western Conference playoffs, they were up against a far superior Phoenix Suns team (which made the WCF). It was a losing battle and after having surgery, Brandon Roy was rushed in to try and win the series. He got hurt again and they got knocked out. He was forced to retire early.
    It wasn't really an injury that forced Roy to retire. He has degenerative arthritis in his knees. He has no cartilage in his knees after the multiple surgeries in college and the NBA.

I get that Rose is medically cleared to play but I think he truly doubts if he can play at the elite level he was at.

For a 25 year old that has been the best player on the floor for virtually all his life and then doubt that he can be that good again is devastating. Rose may honestly need to see a shrink to help him through this mental block/fear that he'll just be good rather than great. I know, the question is why doesn't he just try and play and see but that's easier said than done for someone who's probably never faced adversity.

The Bulls are being stupid thinking that they can bully and annoy the Heat. Just play fucking basketball and go out on your shield but not like some thugs.

I am losing a ton of respect for Noah because he's acting like a little bitch. If I were Spo I would send in Pittman (is he still on the team) and body block Noah just to shut him up.

The Heat of 2 years ago you might have been able to intimidate but not today.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I feel the same about the NHL but don't post it in their thread
    what are you talking about the NHL playoffs are amazing....lol