Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
Results 97 to 108 of 111
  1. #97
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    13,064
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Rookie Camp First Impressions



    Maybe, but all I'm saying is that these two are pretty similar in frame.

    Now, as far as who is stronger and has more skill as a C, that remains to be seen. Competition can only be a good thing, but I'd tend to not write off Gino quickly. The underdog mentality got his brother some decent work with the Raiders, Bengals, and now possibly the Steelers. I'd be interested to see how Gino looks when he reports to OTAs and Training Camp.
    .
    .
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  2. #98
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    12,314
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Rookie Camp First Impressions

    As for Ryan, I'll defer to the link at the top of this thread and what he did at rookie
    camp. It of course remains to be seen if he can continue it. None of us have seen enough
    of either one of them in games.
    UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU.




  3. #99
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,237
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Rookie Camp First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    If you are to believe the Ravens website...Jensen and Gino are basically the same size...

    Both are listed as 6'3", Jensen is listed as 304, Gino listed as 300.

    So I don't know that straight up size will be a real differentiation between them
    That website is so wrong about weight/height etc. Jenson weighed in at 317 lbs at his pro day and was exactly 6'3.4, I honestly don't understand where they get their numbers from half the time. They list Terrell Suggs at 260 lbs, which was lighter than the likes of Paul Kruger who they had at 274 lbs IIRC. We all know Suggs is probably closer to 280 and is certainly bigger than Kruger.




  4. #100
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    12,314
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Rookie Camp First Impressions

    ILMAO - Ravens site is like padding term papers in school. In this case

    to serve their own purpose. I'd believe MIkie Prestone before I believe them.



    Gil Brandt the famous Cowboys guru and Ozzie Newsome of his era has Jensen
    listed at 6'3.5 and 317 lbs.


    http://blogs.nfl.com/2013/03/19/csu-...aft-spotlight/
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-09-2013 at 06:23 AM.
    UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU.




  5. #101
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    28,349
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Rookie Camp First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    ILMAO - Ravens site is like padding term papers in school. In this case

    to serve their own purpose. I'd believe MIkie Prestone before I believe them.


    This is not surprising in the least.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  6. #102

    Re: Rookie Camp First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    There you go...making shit up again. I think you need glasses (among other things...)

    When did I ever say Gino was a finesse guy? I'll save you the time because I have never said that. In this thread, leachisabeast claimed that Gino is more of a "finesse blocker" and paintballguy is the one who brought up Jeff Saturday.

    If you're going to shit one someone for poking holes in your antiquated *Bigger is Better!* argument, then at least get it right.

    Congrats on knowing how big Birk was. However, you're arguing with yourself and frankly you're wrong. Jeff Saturday and Birk were in the 1998 draft, so they both played for 15 seasons (1998-2013). Both were 2-time All Pros, both were 6 time pro-bowlers, both have a SB ring.

    The idea that a "big" center is better than a "smaller" center because they're bigger is just flat out stupid. The only thing that I - among others - have stated is that Gino at 6'3" 300-305lbs is not undersized and can still functionally play at a high level as a center. I mentioned Chris Myers and Jason Kelce, who both are two of the better centers in the NFL and are under 300lbs...UNDER 300lbs (Gino is OVER 300lbs). Those two players are proof positive that it can be done. As I said before, it is all about technique. You want to claim that Jensen is a lot stronger, but then you state that he did 30 reps to Gino's 29 reps. WOW. A whopping 1 rep difference. Are you joking? THAT is your baseline? Give me a break dude.



    If this isn't a typical "Trap comment" then I don't know what is.

    Guess what Ol'Timer? The NFL of 2013 ain't the NFL of 1975. Get with the now.
    I don't get the size thing. 6'4" 310. Gino was 6'3" 300 when drafted. Size will not be the issue. Jensen is a sixth rounder that no one has seen any tape on. I find it comical people already predicting he will be competing for a starting spot in year two. I am sure that 1 rep more in bench has him better prepared to handle NFL defensive lineman. He was a 6th rounder for a reason.

    As for Brown's size the Ravens need him to be able cover. If he is not big enough to be able to play the run as a Mike right away that is fine. There are guys that can do that. The Ravens need him to be able play in space initially. He will be fine. That is also what make McLain so enticing. They have opposite strengths.




  7. #103

    Re: Rookie Camp First Impressions

    benching and overall strength are pretty different things. With good technique youre probably using your legs more than anything so where only one rep separates them, maybe its that functional strength people are referring to when claiming hes undersized? I have no idea, I thought he was under 300 when drafted which was driving that but i guess not.

    i dont see a problem with him until he cant move some of the the AFC norths best DTs which if Geno Atkins was a sign, he certainly can. I like Jensen too. obviously theyll both be competing for C but i dont think its a given that Gino is bounced, especially for size when i dont really see that as an issue. If size meant something we wouldnt have Ray Lewis or Ed Reed who were both considered undersized. Not surprisingly we drafted Brown and Elam with similar criticisms this year.
    -JAB




  8. #104
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    28,349
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Rookie Camp First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    benching and overall strength are pretty different things. With good technique youre probably using your legs more than anything so where only one rep separates them, maybe its that functional strength people are referring to when claiming hes undersized? I have no idea, I thought he was under 300 when drafted which was driving that but i guess not.

    i dont see a problem with him until he cant move some of the the AFC norths best DTs which if Geno Atkins was a sign, he certainly can. I like Jensen too. obviously theyll both be competing for C but i dont think its a given that Gino is bounced, especially for size when i dont really see that as an issue. If size meant something we wouldnt have Ray Lewis or Ed Reed who were both considered undersized. Not surprisingly we drafted Brown and Elam with similar criticisms this year.
    Benching can certainly be correlated to an offensive lineman "popping" a defensive lineman in the chest to kind of stand them up, but it definitely is only a contributing factor in functional strength as a lineman.

    People using the combine bench press numbers (Jensen's 30 reps to Gino's 29 reps) as a threshold for why Jensen is "stronger" than Gino makes no sense at all.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  9. #105
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Balmer Merlin Hon
    Posts
    3,339
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Rookie Camp First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Stick to your day job Hensley.
    At the risk of restating the obvious, this is his "day job." Unfortunately. For which he is almost certainly overpaid.




  10. #106

    Re: Rookie Camp First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Benching can certainly be correlated to an offensive lineman "popping" a defensive lineman in the chest to kind of stand them up, but it definitely is only a contributing factor in functional strength as a lineman.

    People using the combine bench press numbers (Jensen's 30 reps to Gino's 29 reps) as a threshold for why Jensen is "stronger" than Gino makes no sense at all.
    i can see that and i agree. Pretty baseless argument when citing that as the reason.
    -JAB




  11. #107
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    13,064
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Rookie Camp First Impressions

    it's going to be funny when neither of them starts because AQ Shipley beats them both out.
    .
    .
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  12. #108
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    28,349
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Rookie Camp First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    it's going to be funny when neither of them starts because AQ Shipley beats them both out.
    Certainly a possibility.

    Competition never hurts.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland