Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Nor did i say he was a NT, im talking the position in general and if i view it as....

NT Ngata, Williams
    5 tech Canty, Jones, Spears, Mcphee

Then the 7th guy may be someone other then Cody imo, and i dont view it as the virtual certainty you do. I think you took me as one of the ones saying "cut Cody, he sucks". Trust me, i understand he's played better then what he showed last yr, he's a legit NT and he's still young and cheap. Just merely saying if he doesnt improve it's possible he could get beat out, that's been my only argument, period.
    Well that's part of the issue because the team has moved McPhee to OLB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Re: Rookie Camp First Impressions

I highly doubt they go in with Cody as the starting NT from week 1. It will be either Ngata or Williams.

Blog Entries

some of the guys I could see being "fringe" players on their current teams:

Robert Meachem, Eddie Royal, Andre Caldwell, Dexter McCluster, Devin Thomas, Brian Robiskie, Nate Burelson...

I think that we'll probably find that our current roster is better than anyone who may end up being cut.

Unless the Ravens trade for someone, which I suppose is a possibility, then I doubt they'll sign anyone of consequence.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I highly doubt they go in with Cody as the starting NT from week 1. It will be either Ngata or Williams.
    The other option not discussed is Spears being platooned as a NT.

Spears appears to be a two-down player at best. He will likely be a rotational guy in the middle of the line and will likely play nose tackle for the Ravens. We aren’t huge fans of this acquisition, particularly because it appears we overpaid for what we’re going to get. But depth on the line is never a bad thing.
    There's a pretty good evaluation of him on the link below. He eats up blockers and doesn't give up ground. If he can do that when rotated in, then I would consider that an upgrade. I don't see him being utilized as a DE with his skill set so it makes sense he was brought in here for that purpose.

http://baltimoresportsandlife.com/ba...marcus-spears/

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Well that's part of the issue because the team has moved McPhee to OLB.

Oh is that a concrete position move? Last thing i heard was he could see some snaps there, didnt know it was a full on move, that certainly changes things.

Got a question for you guys, i know Dummervil would never admit this but you wonder if a selling point for the Ravens when recruit him could have been a lot less "grunt work" and more pinning his ears back. You have Suggs, Upshaw, Simon and possibly Mcphee who project better as edge setters and overall players of the run. With that much in the fold Dummervil can take it easy on run downs and have even more energy to pins his ears back on pass downs.

Blog Entries

Here's a 6'4, 310 pound Center who played longer and at a high level than the Jeff Sunday from Indy who lasted because of his natural knee bend, keeping on the balls of his feet
    and ability to move in space. He must have gotten all that after Billick cut him in favor
    of the taller 6'3 and heavier 305 lb Mike Flynn who helped him win a SB.

Birke played 15 years including 5 with Baltimore seldom missing a game and made the pro bowl. Yup, I'll take the maulers every time.

Gino will obviously start this year and plays bigger than his size but if this Ryan guy
    at 6'4 continues to play like he started off, it could be trouble for Gino if not this year
    maybe next year. That's all I'm saying. Could be.

BTW, when Baltimore won SB 5 its starting center was Bill Curry who was 5'10 and weighed
    250 lbs but players were smaller and slower then.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1199/player
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-08-2013 at 05:59 AM.

What has Tyson ever done in this league?

And Cody isn't behind 6...he's a NT...Tyson is a DE. There is no clear and obvious person ahead of Cody's spot at the nose. Thats like lumping in all the CB's with S's.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    Tyson did not look good in Super Bowl. He could not set the edge when replacing Ngata. That allowed kapernick to run all over the ravens.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Here's a 6'4, 310 pound Center who played longer and at a high level than the Jeff Sunday from Indy who lasted because of his natural knee bend, keeping on the balls of his feet
    and ability to move in space. He must have gotten all that after Billick cut him in favor
    of the taller 6'3 and heavier 305 lb Mike Flynn who helped him win a SB.

Birke played 15 years including 5 with Baltimore seldom missing a game and made the pro bowl. Yup, I'll take the maulers every time.

Gino will obviously start this year and plays bigger than his size but if this Ryan guy
    at 6'4 continues to play like he started off, it could be trouble for Gino if not this year
    maybe next year. That's all I'm saying. Could be.

BTW, when Baltimore won SB 5 its starting center was Bill Curry who was 5'10 and weighed
    250 lbs but players were smaller and slower then.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1199/player
    Gino is a lot more of a mauler than you're giving him credit for. In fact, many scouting reports on Gino indicated that his best qualities as an interior linemen were a nasty mean streak and a good run blocker.

Birk is a HOF-type of player. However, again, the NFL is littered with smaller interior linemen who have been successful. Gino at 6'3" 300-305lbs is adequately sized to play center in the NFL and we've no reason to think otherwise.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    Tyson did not look good in Super Bowl. He could not set the edge when replacing Ngata. That allowed kapernick to run all over the ravens.
    Comparing a 7th round rookie to a pro-bowl/all-pro DT is not fair whatsoever. Of course there was a significant decrease in run-stopping once Ngata went out.

The fact that Tyson stuck with the 53 man roster from day-1 and played a fair amount, which is not something that many 7th round picks in Baltimore can say, speaks volumes on his upside. Many of us thought that Tyson would be a PS guy.

I'm perplexed about arguing about a guy weighing 300 lbs. is too light to play center. BMI and technique are important parts of the equation. Big can be fat and slow. A 300 lb. guy with 20% body fat nets 240 lbs. of muscle. A 320 lb. guy with 25% fat also has 240 lbs. of muscle, who is stronger? Who is most likely faster on their feet? Gino doesn't look like a 300 lb. marshmallow.

71430691.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Comparing a 7th round rookie to a pro-bowl/all-pro DT is not fair whatsoever. Of course there was a significant decrease in run-stopping once Ngata went out.

The fact that Tyson stuck with the 53 man roster from day-1 and played a fair amount, which is not something that many 7th round picks in Baltimore can say, speaks volumes on his upside. Many of us thought that Tyson would be a PS guy.
    I think Tyson playing said as much if not more about our real lack of depth on the DL.

Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I think Tyson playing said as much if not more about our real lack of depth on the DL.

Maybe, but it isn't like they didn't have other options. There were other FA DE/DT's available.

The Ravens didn't have outstanding depth at safety either, yet they chose to sign Ihedigbo rather than use Thompson.