Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 49 to 60 of 111
  1. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    28,349
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Rookie Camp First Impressions



    Gino's size worries people...

    He's 6'3" 300lbs...probably more than that now after an entire season with the team.

    Chris Myers is widely considered one of the best centers in the league and he is 290lbs. Kelce, with the Eagles, is 285lbs and he does pretty well.

    It's all about technique. Gino is plenty big for an NFL center.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  2. #50

    Re: Rookie Camp First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Maybe they're hoping this will be a wake up call for Cody. If he loses weight
    He dropped weight last year, and now says that was part of his problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    and hits the weight room
    He just had surgery. The weight room may not be feasible for a while.

    Even when healthy and at the proper weight, he wasn't all that impressive. He should be very uncomfortable about his situation right now.
    I've upped my standards. Up yours.




  3. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    9,172
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Rookie Camp First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Gino's size worries people...
    That meme always makes me chuckle.

    Jeff Saturday was another good center that weighed in under 300 lbs.




  4. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    1,339

    Re: Rookie Camp First Impressions

    Jensen will provide exactly no competition for Gino this year, even if Gino struggles. And considering that Gino had a very nice debut vs what was probably the best DT in the league last year, there's every reason to expect Gino to excel, meaning that a) Gino wil be the Ravens starting center for several years and b) there will no competition for Jensen with Gino.

    Jensen this year will spend it in the weight room and on special teams. In future years he will provide depth and if he develops may be Yanda's replacement or KO's if KO moves to LT.




  5. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    I dont have conviction one way or the re: Cody making the team but i think to think he's a lock when he's clearly behind 6 guys and not clearly ahead of a guy like Tyson imo is a stretch. I do think he lost some core strength being too concerned with dropping weight to play on more downs when his primary focus should be worrying about playing run downs. That could be something he was instructed to do, we dont know. I hope he does bounce back but he was so bad last year im not holding my breath.
    What has Tyson ever done in this league?

    And Cody isn't behind 6...he's a NT...Tyson is a DE. There is no clear and obvious person ahead of Cody's spot at the nose. Thats like lumping in all the CB's with S's.

    Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  6. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    12,314
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Rookie Camp First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    He dropped weight last year, and now says that was part of his problem.



    He just had surgery. The weight room may not be feasible for a while.

    Even when healthy and at the proper weight, he wasn't all that impressive. He should be very uncomfortable about his situation right now.
    He obviously didn't hit the weight room enough to get knocked on his ass all those times.
    He was constantly pushed back. Maybe he was injured, maybe not.

    Whatever, he just got a rude wake up call. It's up to him to make the most of it.

    I'll take the mauler over a finesse guy any time.
    UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU.




  7. #55

    Re: Rookie Camp First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    He obviously didn't hit the weight room enough to get knocked on his ass all those times.
    No one has said otherwise. The issue is that he probably can't lift right now.
    I've upped my standards. Up yours.




  8. #56

    Re: Rookie Camp First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Of course he's competing. He's also making the team unless Kelly Gregg in his prime comes back.

    Most people here don't like the idea of Ngata playing NT. The other option is a D2 rookie. And Cody.

    We have 2 natural NT's...one of whom is making a HUGE jump in competition.

    No way Cody doesn't make this team.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    What has Tyson ever done in this league?

    And Cody isn't behind 6...he's a NT...Tyson is a DE. There is no clear and obvious person ahead of Cody's spot at the nose. Thats like lumping in all the CB's with S's.

    Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    Im talking as defensive lineman in general, Tyson i think showed well when he had to play, played all across the line at Georgia and if it came down to choosing his versatility might give him the nod. Im not saying he's gonna be kept and Cody will get cut. Im saying it's possible, your writing it off like it isnt possible. I think it depends on how they use Ngata, if he's the full time nose my personally opinion is that Williams will be the backup at the nose, the end rotation being Canty, Jones, Mcphee and Spears. My only argument is i think it's a legit shot Cody could get beat out for a roster spot if he doesnt show better then last season. Your argument seems to be that only Buddy Lee in his prime could keep Cody off the roster, i dont agree with that extreme.




  9. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Im talking as defensive lineman in general, Tyson i think showed well when he had to play, played all across the line at Georgia and if it came down to choosing his versatility might give him the nod. Im not saying he's gonna be kept and Cody will get cut. Im saying it's possible, your writing it off like it isnt possible. I think it depends on how they use Ngata, if he's the full time nose my personally opinion is that Williams will be the backup at the nose, the end rotation being Canty, Jones, Mcphee and Spears. My only argument is i think it's a legit shot Cody could get beat out for a roster spot if he doesnt show better then last season. Your argument seems to be that only Buddy Lee in his prime could keep Cody off the roster, i dont agree with that extreme.
    Tyson is not a NT. And there are different positions with completely different responsibilities...just lumping them all together would be like me saying Asa Jackson could get beat out by James Ihegbido.

    And nothing is impossible, but I'm saying Cody's likelyhood of making this team is 85-90%. Ngata is not a natural nose and while I think he will get significant time there, his best spot is as a DE. That leaves 2 natural noses on the roster. And everybody is hyped up about the rookies way too soon.




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  10. #58

    Re: Rookie Camp First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Tyson is not a NT. And there are different positions with completely different responsibilities...just lumping them all together would be like me saying Asa Jackson could get beat out by James Ihegbido.

    And nothing is impossible, but I'm saying Cody's likelyhood of making this team is 85-90%. Ngata is not a natural nose and while I think he will get significant time there, his best spot is as a DE. That leaves 2 natural noses on the roster. And everybody is hyped up about the rookies way too soon.




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Nor did i say he was a NT, im talking the position in general and if i view it as....

    NT Ngata, Williams
    5 tech Canty, Jones, Spears, Mcphee

    Then the 7th guy may be someone other then Cody imo, and i dont view it as the virtual certainty you do. I think you took me as one of the ones saying "cut Cody, he sucks". Trust me, i understand he's played better then what he showed last yr, he's a legit NT and he's still young and cheap. Just merely saying if he doesnt improve it's possible he could get beat out, that's been my only argument, period.




  11. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    28,349
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Rookie Camp First Impressions

    I don't think McPhee is a true 5-tech.

    I think he could be, but I think he is still a situational guy.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  12. #60

    Re: Rookie Camp First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Nor did i say he was a NT, im talking the position in general and if i view it as....

    NT Ngata, Williams
    5 tech Canty, Jones, Spears, Mcphee

    Then the 7th guy may be someone other then Cody imo, and i dont view it as the virtual certainty you do. I think you took me as one of the ones saying "cut Cody, he sucks". Trust me, i understand he's played better then what he showed last yr, he's a legit NT and he's still young and cheap. Just merely saying if he doesnt improve it's possible he could get beat out, that's been my only argument, period.
    I'm guilty of saying his play last year sucked but I never suggested he should be cut before training camp. He needs to come into camp and earn a spot. Why? He was the worst defensive lineman we had last year on a unit that played poorly. The guy that started in front of him isn't welcome back here. It's his 4th year and his play is trending in the wrong direction. Separate opinion from fact.

    As far as him lifting weights and gaining strength, if he has been doing that since being a rookie then the results are questionable. At least I know he's doing something.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcmW_iJAHL8

    If he starts strength training now it's too late, especially since he is limited by surgery. Building strength takes more than a few months.

    I hope my opinion of him is proved wrong and I'll be happy to admit it. There's a lot of players who are locks to make the 53 man roster and I see him as a weak link and a obvious target for criticism.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland