Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Rookie Camp First Impressions

*****Obviously it's rookie camp so everything is taken with a grain of salt******

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...5-b6085161dc13

On Elam

Safety Matt Elam is just as advertised. He moves all over the field and the Ravens coaches varied his assignments. On some plays he was up at the line of scrimmage to defend the run, and other times he was playing on the back end defending the deep middle of the field. He has good instincts, and shows a quick first step while breaking on a ball in coverage or coming up to stuff the run.
    On Juice

Harvard fullback Kyle Juszczyk was used all over the field, just like in college. The Ravens lined him up as a traditional blocking fullback in some sets, but then would also split him out wide to make him a target in the passing game.
    On Furstenburg

Another undrafted free agent tight end, Matt Furstenberg showed that he can make some plays in the passing game. He had a nice touchdown catch over the middle of the field with Elam in coverage.
    On Jensen

Offensive lineman Ryan Jensen, the sixth-round pick out of Colorado State-Pueblo, has a mean streak. He plays with some nastiness, which he showed off by finishing off his blocks and hitting the linebackers in the second level on running plays. He worked out at both center and guard.
    Jensen may really push Gino for a starting spot.
    Last edited by Justlovemybirds; 05-05-2013 at 04:07 PM.

Re: Rookie Camp First Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post

Jensen may really push Gino for a starting spot.
    I think Jensen may be the hidden gem of this draft. I've heard a lot of good things. May take a year or two, but I really think he can be a good quality player
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries
    Good stuff. I really think this draft class was a foundation-building class.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

it will b interesting to see how hey manage the roster concerning cody. the ravens look like they have a lot of talent either currently ready of developmental. why waste a spot on cody?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Section 502 Raven View Post
    it will b interesting to see how hey manage the roster concerning cody. the ravens look like they have a lot of talent either currently ready of developmental. why waste a spot on cody?
    Because he is cheap, has upside, and provides depth?

He has been a disappointment to date, but he is entering his third year. The Ravens are inherently a patient franchise. They're not going to cut Cody.

Now, if he disappoints again this season, he may not be re-signed when his rookie contract is up (which I believe is next off-season).

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Because he is cheap, has upside, and provides depth?

He has been a disappointment to date, but he is entering his third year. The Ravens are inherently a patient franchise. They're not going to cut Cody.

Now, if he disappoints again this season, he may not be re-signed when his rookie contract is up (which I believe is next off-season).

I agree...I don't understand why people are in such a rush to ship guys like Cody out.

Maybe it clicks in the final year like it did for Chris Chester or Dwan Edwards.

He's not costing us a great player or a lot of money by being on the roster...and it's not like the guy hasn't played well before...he was pretty solid for 2/3's of 2011.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

I agree...I don't understand why people are in such a rush to ship guys like Cody out.

Maybe it clicks in the final year like it did for Chris Chester or Dwan Edwards.

He's not costing us a great player or a lot of money by being on the roster...and it's not like the guy hasn't played well before...he was pretty solid for 2/3's of 2011.

Agreed.

I think losing all of that weight hurt him. Up until then he was playing at 350-360lbs. When he lost like 40lbs in an off-season, he didnt know how to play at that weight.

I dont want the guy to be unhealthy, but he needs to figure out his body and what works best for him. He doesnt need to be an every down player.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 502 Raven View Post
    Why would you cut quality depth? Just because Cody isn't top-tier doesn't mean he isn't helpful on this team.

Blog Entries

So far...interesting camp battles to watch:

Leach vs Juice Check (I'm officially calling him that instead of typing out that name)
    Doss vs Streeter vs Thompson vs LQW vs Mellette?
    Furstenburg vs Holloway
    Gaines vs Unga vs Devey vs Harewood (Backup LT)
    Jensen vs Gradkowski
    Cody vs Williams
    The OLBs (Doom, Suggs, Upshaw, Simon, McAdoo, Adrian Hamilton...wow)
    The ILBs (McClain vs McClain, Bynes vs McClellan)
    Jimmy Smith vs Corey Graham
    Matt Elam vs Ihedigbo

Also Bobby Rainey vs Ray Holley. Seem like similar type players...
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Idk guys, i think Cody has an uphill battle. He obviously has 6 lineman in front of him, Tyson may make 7, and Tyson is more versatile. The team kept 7 down lineman last year. I think it's a legit possibility he doesn't make the 53 man roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Idk guys, i think Cody has an uphill battle. He obviously has 6 lineman in front of him, Tyson may make 7, and Tyson is more versatile. The team kept 7 down lineman last year. I think it's a legit possibility he doesn't make the 53 man roster.
    Tyson is not making this team over Cody unless he has an amazing preseason.

Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    I'm onboard with this. I don't remember him playing well last year but I do remember him getting knocked around many times. Cheap is not a good criteria for keeping someone on the roster if they don't play well. He had hip surgery and will miss all offseason activities. I'm not suggesting cutting him, but he needs to compete for a roster spot.