Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Rookie Camp First Impressions

Nevermind on Holley vs Rainey...Holley didn't survive the weekend minicamp, got cut already.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Let me back up to what I said in a previous post.

Cody played well for the first 2/3's of the season in 2011. Remember, our D the first half of the year was outstanding, and Haloti was having a DPOY type start to the year.

I think Cody wore down over the second half of the year and that is why the team wanted him to lose more weight.

But I think he had a solid to good chunk of a year in 2011 until he wore down.

And then when he lost weight, he lost a lot of the pure strength he relied on as he has never been a technician. And with his height, it's hard to get leverage if you don't have a ton of brute strength or use really good technique.

While I definitely like Williams, I am nowhere close to proclaim him ready to start as he as a ton to learn and isn't just a rookie, but a rookie coming from a D2 program. What I think he will do is give us depth, and someone that can rotate with him and perhaps keep Cody from wearing down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Yeah I agree with most of that.

But I think Brandon Williams is more ready than you'd think. Like I said, at the senior bowl, he looked more pro ready than most of the defensive players I watched/read up on. I think we're just seeing an incredibly talented kid who played WELL above the div II level, and should have never been playing at that school. I agree that he will have to adjust to the difference of talent/ability he'll be facing, but I seriously just have a good feeling he's going to pick it up quicker than many of us would think.

Blog Entries

Elam, Brown, and Williams will start Week 1. I'd put money on it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Elam, Brown, and Williams will start Week 1. I'd put money on it.
    Depends on what you mean by "start." I think it's very likely Williams will be active & part of the basic DL rotation, but he might not be on the field for that first defensive snap, which is the technical definition of "starting."

By all reports Williams went into the Senior Bowl universally considered a raw talent, but once there his game looked vastly more sophisticated. I'm curious as to who worked him out prior to the Senior Bowl & whether they showed him some things that he picked up on immediately--if that sort of learning ability shows up in camp, the big kid is gonna be something special very quick.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Depends on what you mean by "start." I think it's very likely Williams will be active & part of the basic DL rotation, but he might not be on the field for that first defensive snap, which is the technical definition of "starting."

By all reports Williams went into the Senior Bowl universally considered a raw talent, but once there his game looked vastly more sophisticated. I'm curious as to who worked him out prior to the Senior Bowl & whether they showed him some things that he picked up on immediately--if that sort of learning ability shows up in camp, the big kid is gonna be something special very quick.
    Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 46m
    Eric decosta said brandon williams based on what he's seen at minicamp has a 'really bright future'

I still think Williams will start as in contributing heavily. Especially on obvious running downs.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Nevermind on Holley vs Rainey...Holley didn't survive the weekend minicamp, got cut already.
    That's the reality for most of these guys. We want to see a cinderella story in the making, but there are only 53 spots. The chances are pretty slim for a UDFA considering there are ten guys the Ravens actually picked fighting for spots as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Section 502 Raven View Post
    it will b interesting to see how hey manage the roster concerning cody. the ravens look like they have a lot of talent either currently ready of developmental. why waste a spot on cody?
    Maybe they're hoping this will be a wake up call for Cody. If he loses weight and hits the
    weight room it would be great to have two great studs like him and Brandon like Goose
    and Adams.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Maybe they're hoping this will be a wake up call for Cody. If he loses weight and hits the
    weight room it would be great to have two great studs like him and Brandon like Goose
    and Adams.
    I agree with that thought. Maybe it will push Cody to get better. And maybe Cody will be better with less snaps.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    That's the reality for most of these guys. We want to see a cinderella story in the making, but there are only 53 spots. The chances are pretty slim for a UDFA considering there are ten guys the Ravens actually picked fighting for spots as well.
    I think furstenburg and Gaines make the team with Gaines being IR'd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Check out this link with all the teams interested in Jensen including NE, SD, MINN,
    CINCI and Miami. Twenty one teams were at his pro workout.

He's 6'4, 317 lbs. He won me over already with that size along with the above report.
    He was projected to go possibly as high as 4th or 3rd round, most likely 6th to 7th rounds.

I love Gino but his size concerns me even though he had a great game in Cinci vs their
    first stringers in the 1st qtr, but this guy Jensen could be trouble for him. He did 30 reps at 225 lb bench press and he's quicker than Gino with a 4.6 short shuttle run. Gino did 4.78 and did
    29 reps at 225 lbs.

Link says he played tackle but will be a backup to Gino.

Don't bet on it. He was a finalist for the Gene Upshaw Lineman of Year Div II Award.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2013&genpos=OG

GINO:
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2012&genpos=OG
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-06-2013 at 10:51 PM.

Blog Entries

Check out this link with all the teams interested in Jensen including NE, SD, MINN,

He's 6'4, 317 lbs. He won me over already with that size along with the above report.
    He was projected to go possibly as high as 4th or 3rd round, most likely 6th to 7th rounds.

I love Gino but his size concerns me even though he had a great game in Cinci vs their
    first stringers in the 1st qtr, but this guy Jensen could be trouble for him. He did 30 reps at 225 lb bench press and he's quicker than Gino with a 4.6 short shuttle run. Gino did 4.78 and did
    29 reps at 225 lbs.

Don't bet on it. He was a finalist for the Gene Upshaw Lineman of Year Div II Award.

GINO:
    It will be a fascinating battle. Gino is the more athletic finesse blocker, while I think Jenson appears to be more of the mauling and physical player, he has the size advantage on Gino for sure.

Of course he's competing. He's also making the team unless Kelly Gregg in his prime comes back.

Most people here don't like the idea of Ngata playing NT. The other option is a D2 rookie. And Cody.

We have 2 natural NT's...one of whom is making a HUGE jump in competition.

No way Cody doesn't make this team.

Let me back up to what I said in a previous post.

Cody played well for the first 2/3's of the season in 2011. Remember, our D the first half of the year was outstanding, and Haloti was having a DPOY type start to the year.

I think Cody wore down over the second half of the year and that is why the team wanted him to lose more weight.

But I think he had a solid to good chunk of a year in 2011 until he wore down.

And then when he lost weight, he lost a lot of the pure strength he relied on as he has never been a technician. And with his height, it's hard to get leverage if you don't have a ton of brute strength or use really good technique.

While I definitely like Williams, I am nowhere close to proclaim him ready to start as he as a ton to learn and isn't just a rookie, but a rookie coming from a D2 program. What I think he will do is give us depth, and someone that can rotate with him and perhaps keep Cody from wearing down.

I dont have conviction one way or the re: Cody making the team but i think to think he's a lock when he's clearly behind 6 guys and not clearly ahead of a guy like Tyson imo is a stretch. I do think he lost some core strength being too concerned with dropping weight to play on more downs when his primary focus should be worrying about playing run downs. That could be something he was instructed to do, we dont know. I hope he does bounce back but he was so bad last year im not holding my breath.

29 reps at 225 lbs.

GINO:
    Classic shiny new toy syndrome. Gino's size is just fine. It was his strength that needed work. There is no way the Ravens are going with a rookie first time center. Especially a rookie that did not play the spot in College.