Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Ravens still might look for Vet WR

Ozzie: We Could Use Veteran WR, Playing The Field

Ever since Anquan Boldin was traded to the San Francisco 49ers, Ravens brass has maintained it could fill his role with a committee of young players already on the roster.

And while that still remains true, General Manager Ozzie Newsome admitted for the first time that he could be on the lookout for a veteran wide receiver.

When asked if he had any more holes left to fill on defense, Newsome said he’d always take another good pass rusher or corner, but specifically pointed to the need on offense.

“We’ll just play the field, and if there are some other good players that become available, then we will pursue those also. We need a … we could use a veteran receiver,” Newsome told John Clayton on ESPN’s Inside the Huddle. “And so we could possibly be looking out for that.”

That doesn’t mean the Ravens have given up on the younger talent. In fact, Newsome underscored the importance of giving some second- and third-year receivers a chance to shine before it is too late and another team picks them up in free agency after the Ravens spent the time to develop them.

Blog Entries

Re: Ravens still might look for Vet WR

Right now, I think Early Doucet is the only available WR that could make sense.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Right now, I think Early Doucet is the only available WR that could make sense.
    Hmmm...it might be to Early to consider Doucet ... Bc

Is Breaston still out there? Too banged up?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MD Boy View Post
    Is Breaston still out there? Too banged up?
    Ozzie is keeping a'breast on' the WR FAs... Bc

I'm surprised the Ravens are coming and publicly making comments about their desire to obtain a FA WR. While it makes sense, I usually take any comments about strategy as subterfuge. This seems to be an exception since it's really the only position of need not addressed.

“I think the hunt goes on,” DeCosta said, via Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun. “We’re still working. The roster is not set. We’re always evaluating. We’re always looking at guys. Guys get signed, guys get cut.

“Our pro personnel department looks at all available players and we’ll make a decision at some point of what we want to do at that position. There are definitely some players out there. We’ll consider all options.”
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...s-replacement/

On another note, it seems to me DeCosta is becoming more visible in the media.

The comments in full are him basically saying the roster isn't set and they're always looking.

Of course they're looking.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Of course they're looking.
    Ravens still might look for Vet (insert position here).

I suspect Newsome looks forward to the training camp cut-down days about as much as he does the draft.

Blog Entries

Once teams get through their mandatory minicamps they will get an idea of whether they need to keep all the expensive vets on their roster. That's where some interesting players could shake loose.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Once teams get through their mandatory minicamps they will get an idea of whether they need to keep all the expensive vets on their roster. That's where some interesting players could shake loose.
    I know the 49ers traded for Boldin, but any chance they cut him? They drafted a WR this year, and I think they drafted one last year as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I know the 49ers traded for Boldin, but any chance they cut him? They drafted a WR this year, and I think they drafted one last year as well.
    That's actually a valid scenario. I know, one would scoff at merely the thought of cutting a player after he was traded for. I happen to listen to a lot of local sports talk radio in the Bay Area and the talk is the 9ers have a lot of good quality players, including receivers, where it will be hard to fit them all on the 53 man roster. Not a bad problem to have.

Could still happen, could just be talk. If that scenario panned out though, I would hope the Ravens would scoop him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I doubt they cut him, they did lose Moss so they will probably keep Boldin as their main vet WR. Plus, at this point, Boldin is > than Moss IMO.