Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Rookie Camp First Impressions

Yeah the same writers who probably thought the same about Lavonte David, Bobby Wagner, and hell lets throw Ray Lewis in there. Stick to your day job Hensley.

Most of the premium ILBs in the league right now are pretty much "undersized" compared to the old generation apart from Patrick Willis.

Blog Entries

Let me clarify my statements on Gino. I didn't say he was undersized for a center or anything, I just meant that Jenson is quite significantly bigger at 317 lbs. I think Gino is big enough to play center, but I did hear reports that the Ravens wanted him to get stronger, and he did struggle slightly there last pre season as a man to man blocker, he also struggled with it against the Bengals even though he had a solid overall game, he got thrown about by Peko a little bit. He is a finesse blocker, that likes to make his blocks on the second level, he is a little like Chris Myers in that regard, and there's nothing wrong with that, especially if the system benefits that style of blocking. I think Gino is going to be the starting center, but I do think Jenson is going to surprise us a little bit and will give us something to think about in 2014.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Let me clarify my statements on Gino. I didn't say he was undersized for a center or anything, I just meant that Jenson is quite significantly bigger at 317 lbs. I think Gino is big enough to play center, but I did hear reports that the Ravens wanted him to get stronger, and he did struggle slightly there last pre season as a man to man blocker, he also struggled with it against the Bengals even though he had a solid overall game, he got thrown about by Peko a little bit. He is a finesse blocker, that likes to make his blocks on the second level, he is a little like Chris Myers in that regard, and there's nothing wrong with that, especially if the system benefits that style of blocking. I think Gino is going to be the starting center, but I do think Jenson is going to surprise us a little bit and will give us something to think about in 2014.
    I wasn't implying that you thought he was undersized.

Of course he struggled last season. Joe struggled too coming from Delaware to the NFL. It is a HUGE jump in competition. That doesn't mean that he's going to get beat out by another guy (who is coming from an even smaller D-2 school...Delaware is D-1AA) because he is 1" and roughly 10lbs lighter. That's just ridiculous. If Jensen beats out Gradkowski, it is because Jensen is a better player. Not because he's bigger.

Gino played well against the Bengals last year and having Yanda and KO on either side of him is going to give him a lot of support, which he'll definitely need.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I wasn't implying that you thought he was undersized.

Of course he struggled last season. Joe struggled too coming from Delaware to the NFL. It is a HUGE jump in competition. That doesn't mean that he's going to get beat out by another guy (who is coming from an even smaller D-2 school...Delaware is D-1AA) because he is 1" and roughly 10lbs lighter. That's just ridiculous. If Jensen beats out Gradkowski, it is because Jensen is a better player. Not because he's bigger.

Gino played well against the Bengals last year and having Yanda and KO on either side of him is going to give him a lot of support, which he'll definitely need.
    I agree, but I think Jenson is going to get a look next season at possibly playing guard if they move KO to LT (assuming McKinnie is cut).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    The only negative I heard on Brown so far was some beat writers thought he didn't really look like a big guy for a LB. Which is true, he's pretty small for a LB.
    6' 240 lbs is pretty small for ILB by NFL standards. Ah, but that doesn't mean the man (Arthur Brown) cannot play the position well. By that accepted norm, then let's cut Ray Rice, Matt Elam, and Gino Gradkowski too... Bc

Blog Entries

I agree, but I think Jenson is going to get a look next season at possibly playing guard if they move KO to LT (assuming McKinnie is cut).
    That could very well be their intentions. I think he has a ton of upside as a guard.

I'm still not entirely sure what they are thinking with KO. He played extremely well as a LG last year. Why mess with that? You know?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    6' 240 lbs is pretty small for ILB by NFL standards. Ah, but that doesn't mean the man (Arthur Brown) cannot play the position well. By that accepted norm, then let's cut Ray Rice, Matt Elam, and Gino Gradkowski too... Bc
    Patrick Willis is less than an inch taller than Arthur Brown and weighs about the same. Navarro Bowman too.

Other pretty good LBs that are roughly the same size (i.e. not massive ILBs):
    Jerrod Mayo, Bobby Wagner, Darryl Washington, Stephen Tulloch, Jon Beason...

The days of the 265+lb middle linebacker are fading. Guys that size are now playing DE or bulking up to play DT. This is why there has been so many bigger safeties dropping down to LB while in college. Devonte Holloman, Kenny Tate, Alec Ogletree, Zaviar Gooden, etc. Truthfully, Taylor Mays probably should have dropped down to OLB while at USC.

LBs need to be able to, not only hit, but run and change direction fluidly. That's kind of why I am glad that the Patriots drafted Dont'a Hightower before we could last year. Good player, but a north/south guy. I think it will be very hard for him to develop into an every-down linebacker.

Arthur Brown may be a smidgeon under 6'1" and around 240lbs, but he can run and that is what this defense lacked last year at ILB.

Blog Entries

If Hensley is the one saying that about Brown, immediately I don't give a shit.

His whole spiel about we haven't cut McClain because "We obviously NEED him" is BS. It goes hand in hand with a video I watched on the NFLN about why we hired Spags. Eric Davis applauded the hire, but the counterpoint guy said it was "an admission of weakness", saying we hired him because we admitted we were lacking in the knowledge and leadership to run our D. Spags is a cheap hire with no drawback because we don't cut anyone to bring him in and he doesn't distract from our other coaches.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I am beginning to hear that Arthur Brown was not that impressive at the rookie camp, and may not start this year. Anyone else hearing the same thing?
    What month is this? Let's see what happens in September.

Blog Entries

Exactly, and that's what I've been saying. Gino will start and is the vet. Maybe not this year but next if Jensen should beat out Gino it has to do with technique and his size. He won't need any help around him like someone just said Gino will need after saying size doesn't
    matter because he was big enough as is. Then he says he'll need help. IMO

It's a damn shame they closed camp to the fans at Westminister. It would be very
    interesting to see Brandon Williams going vs Gino in practice. Talk about needing
    strength.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-08-2013 at 09:30 PM.

Blog Entries

If you are to believe the Ravens website...Jensen and Gino are basically the same size...

Both are listed as 6'3", Jensen is listed as 304, Gino listed as 300.

So I don't know that straight up size will be a real differentiation between them
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

That's the Ravens site sorta like Solo adding 5 more lbs to Gino-lol. The link I provided above said Jensen was 6'4".

Here's a report on Gino that says his entire family is the underdog same with his brother. He's expected to get the job done. Just like I said with Saturday above he has footwork
    speed and lateral movement in space. But, but....

His weakness is that he is too small to play guard and be the starting center for most teams and will need more strength at center. He gets too high at times and loses leverage was stood up by schools like Rhode Island. Athletically he is adequate but not superior which is where the finess stuff comes into play but I'm sure Castillo is working on his techniques with him.

Ravens are hoping he gets stronger and will get the job done as the underdog. But this
    size and strength stuff is what I've been reading in this forum and other places since
    day 1 but if Ozzie saw something in him, don't bet vs him.

Unless Ryan Jensen comes along and moves him out.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...191959939.html
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-08-2013 at 09:54 PM.