Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Re: Who is your breakout player for this upcoming season?

Barring injury, it's Bernard Pierce.

This guy is not the complete player that Ray Rice is, but he's going to be taking an even bigger part of the timeshare this year, almost to 50/50. Why? To keep Rice fresh longer, for one, but also because he's a home run threat. Ray Rice makes plays with his vision and moves but doesn't have pulling-away speed. Pierce does. He makes one cut and hits the hole with real burst.

I think Pierce breaks 800 rushing yards and 6+ scores in limited time and makes us start to wonder what it will cost to keep him and whether or not we can afford Ray Rice's later years. And I'm a huge Ray Rice fan. I think we get 2-3 upcoming years of one of the finest RB duos in the NFL.

The other player I'm hoping will break out is Streeter, or really any of our young WRs, but I've seen so little of any of them that I can't make it a prediction. On defense, we just need solid, reliable play from Jimmy Smith, Huff, either or both McClains, and Canty/Spears. None of them have to be superstars; Suggs, Dumervil, Ngata, and Webb can carry that load, and give Elam and Brown a chance to blossom. Those other guys just have to avoid being weak links for other teams to exploit.

Blog Entries

It would be really nice if Streeter could amount to something.

Apparently Aaron Mellette was performing well during this past rookie minicamp. He ran good routes, caught the ball well, and even caught a TD pass over Elam.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Deonte Thompson.

The breakout player almost has to be a WR. Even if Joe doesn't go nuts and throw for 5K, he should throw for at least 4K. And even if Torrey gets 1K, and Pitta/Rice/Dickson/Jacoby get their share, there HAS to be a WR on this roster that gets 800 yards and a handful of TD's.

And that would constitute a breakout season for any of the other WR's on the roster. My money is on Deonte.

Of course, I am hedging by putting some money down on Ozzie to shock the world and somehow acquire a veteran WR in mid August.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    It would be really nice if Streeter could amount to something.

Apparently Aaron Mellette was performing well during this past rookie minicamp. He ran good routes, caught the ball well, and even caught a TD pass over Elam.
    I agree with many, that WR will have to be the spot that shows up...and whoever ends up there should be the breakout player.

And I am thinking Streeter as well.
    I figured he needed to mature and he learned the offense last year and learned how to prepare as a pro even though he didn't see many reps. It will be hard to cover a 6'5" WR who can run a 4.4. All he needs to do now is execute.

Also, I know that Tori Gurley hasn't done anything yet in the pros, but he is so big as a WR, that if he is tough enough, he could fill the Boldin role when called upon with that 6'4", 233 frame.
    We have alot of options right now and a battle will ensue for that #2 position.
    Who knows, maybe Jacoby fools everyone and becomes Torrey's complement.

Blog Entries

Tori Gurley is interesting.

I really thought he'd turn into a good receiver right away. Maybe he is a dark horse in this race?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bohs&o's View Post
    I'm also on the Roland McClain train.
    He could do a breakout, if he's in the State penitentiary... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Damn, Bc, you beat me to it ...I was gonna say exactly this... :D

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Werewolf View Post
    Might be a pipe dream but I would love for it to be Cody. Maybe Williams presence will help light a fire under him. If he could at least come close to the promise he showed a couple years ago this DLine would be bananas. Maybe his hip was bothering him more than we knew which caused the dropoff this past year so hopefully the surgery will help take care of that. (Although you never know with hip injuries as they can become chronic.Lets hope that isn't the case here.)
    Since I've definitely been down on Cody I'll gladly eat my words if he can turn things around from last year. But I don't have faith in him at this point.

Jimmy Smith has the ability to do so and I expect he'll improve if he stays healthy.

I agree with Hot and others, the most likely place to find a break out player is WR. We have speed, size, quickness and unless they get a veteran FA, there will be opportunity for someone to shine. There's an argument to be made for several players. I'll go out on a limb and say Streeter based on freakish ability and his 6'5" size although there's little beyond that to go on. One thing that was noted last year was that he excelled at was pulling down jump balls which was something Boldin was proficient at. The work to improve his lower body strength and route running all of last year should have him contending for a roster spot. That would be a nice big and fast target for Joe to work with.

Schein names Kelechi as a breakout player

6) Kelechi Osemele, OL, Baltimore Ravens: If I had a dollar for every Ravens player, coach or executive who credited "KO" for Baltimore's offensive turnaround in the playoffs, I'd be as rich as Joe Flacco. He's smart. He's physical. He's versatile. I think we are looking at many trips to Hawaii in Osemele's future.
    High praise

I know he's already broken out to an extent, but I think Torrey Smith has a huge year. Like possible all-pro nod and something like 80 catches for 1,400 yards and 12-15 TDs.

11. Re: Who is your breakout player for this upcoming season?

I'm going with Tommy Streeter. I think in Caldwell's offense with Joe throwing the ball to him he can get 700-800 yards or so with about 6 TDs. I could see him having a Malcolm Floyd type impact on the offense, they're very similar players and I think Streeter can produce similar numbers as well if given the opportunity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Maybe BC's sister in law will break out the job hunting skills ;)

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!