Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Who is your breakout player for this upcoming season?

McPhee, he was hurt most of last year. Came on when he felt better down the stretch.

Blog Entries

I'm going with ..... KO who will make his first pro bowl at guard.

Not one player necessarily, but I expect our secondary to have a really stellar year. One thing I like is that they've stocked the defense with versatile guys who can change positions, letting us disguise and be very creative. This is going to create a lot of havoc with our pass rush having guys who can either stand up or put their hands in the dirt (Dumervil, Suggs, Upshaw, McPhee, Ngata even). Our secondary also has guys who are able to play pretty much anywhere. I think this fluidity will allow for the ambiguity that will lead to the chaos necessary to create turnovers.

CAN'T WAIT.

Blog Entries

Last year when we had this thread I picked Jameel McClain and was very wrong. I'm looking for redemption in 2013.

I really see Jimmy Smith finally becoming that player we thought he would be. He's always had the skills but had a tougher time adjusting to the mental part of the position. Smith needs to get beyond wanting to knock someones block off and jumping routes. Now in his 3rd season he should be ready for that jump. This is the year that Jimmy Smith becomes the next defensive player that Ravens fans rave about.

Blog Entries

I think Doss makes a lot of people eat their words. Theres a spot hes been stuck behind. Its his time to shine and i think he does.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 05-06-2013 at 10:00 AM.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Jimmy Smith is my bet. I think we'll see more INT's and plays on the ball from him.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    But if you mean in the 4k yards, 35+ Td's, single digit turnovers kind of way, then YES, I could see that happening as well.
    Yes. This is what I mean.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Upshaw. Seemed to progress well after a slow start and now has a lot to prove with Ray's departure and the arrival of new DE's and LB's to the mix. I say he's the guy who's going step it up a notch.

I cannot believe no one has said David Reed.

the exciting thing and the organization success of this subject is that there are so many players who have the ability to have a break out season. you could pick three or four possible breakout players.

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Looking at the responses here in aggregate....in no order....

Huff, Thompson, Oher, Doss, Upshaw, Gradkowski, Dickson, Smith

It seems to me that you can look at these 8 players and say that the Ravens' season depends on these 8 guys. By that I mean that these 8 guys are the wild cards. We know what Rice or Flaco or Ngata are gonna do, basically, as long as they don't get a big injury. Same with Webb, Graham, Yanda, KO, Leach, Pitta, J McClain, Canty, even Suggs who is a little more unknown coming back from his injury. And with the rookies-Elam, Brown, Williams, etc...they are rookies so they are in a slightly different category.

But Huff, Thompson, Oher, Doss, Upshaw, Gradkowski, Dickson, Smith. These are the swing players and if most of them play really well the team will be really good but if only one or two contribute only a fair amount then the team will be hanging on to stay relevant.

Gradkowski developing makes the interior line beastly. Get two of Doss, Thompson, and Dickson to break out and the receiving corps is deadly. A big Jimmy Smith year paired with Webb makes or secondary truly shut-down. Huff would make it even better. Upshaw would be a crazy extra piece who could make the pass rush nutso and the run defense air tight.
    I sure hope the season doesn't depend on those 8 guys. Of the 8, I think its most important for Gradkowski to not have a bad year. Upshaw will, most likely, improve over his rookie year (not that it was bad). I think Oher has hit his ceiling, he's an average right tackle and a terrible left tackle. Seeing Jimmy Smith and shut-down in he same sentence made me laugh out loud. One thing that people are overlooking is that with Ngata moving inside, he may once again be the force he once was, especially with the additions of Dumervil and Canty.

Blog Entries

There are a lot of guys who could have breakout years.

Joe (over 4K, 30+TD's, etc)
    Doss, Torrey, Pitta (All are potentials to have 1,000+ yard seasons and double-digit TDs)
    Oher - Juan Castillo and Jim Caldwell could have a big impact on his play this year.
    Upshaw, Art Jones, Pernell McPhee...Josh Bynes...

I like Jimmy Smith though. He has all of the physical tools to be an elite corner. His biggest issue has been dealing with the nagging injuries.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.