Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinny Cerrato

Blog Entries

Re: Vinny Cerrato

Come on man, we all know it's a cutthroat business. Jacoby could just as easily have spent every minute of his time training for the upcoming season, only to tear his ACL week 3 and see his career come to an end, because nobody would pick him up.

Let the man make his money while he can.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I heard a little bit of the back and forth between Vinny and Rob. Two small points. One, Vinny pointed out that Jacoby is only the second active NFL player to be on the show. FWIW. Implication being that active players know to keep focused on their profession -- along the lines of what Chaaampionship is arguing, if you buy it or not.

Second, it seemed to me from listening to him that Vinny has a bigger problem with Jacoby's personality than the fact that he's on the show. He kind of paints Jacoby as a preening clown.

I don't agree, but I know what he's reacting to. Jacoby is an odd dude with a weird sense of humor. I think it's funny. I can see how a straight laced guy sees it as foolish.

Vinny cited other instances going back to the Super Bowl and the Kimmel appearance. He's the same guy who rips Brandon Lloyd everytime the guy's name is mentioned, claiming when they were in DC Lloyd was a me guy who wanted to be the center of attention. I think Vinny, by extension, seems to have a problem with with "diva" wide receivers who want to be the center of attention. There is some truth to that stereotype (our own Derrick Mason, Hines Ward, TO, Moss, on and on).

I don't know Jacoby very well but he strikes me as more of a fun loving goof (ie, Terrell Suggs) than a prima donna.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenwoman View Post
    I have to come to Vinny's defense on this, even though I think it's great Jacoby is on DWTS. You have to understand his point of view. Coaches and GM's want their players working on football 24/7 even in the off season. Jacoby is going to miss some of the voluntary practices, according to Vinny. That is not good. While the conditioning Jacoby is getting from dancing is wonderful, he is not practicing with Flacco in the off season. He is not working on his craft. As far as being a me guy, Vinny just doesn't like the goofy faces and jestures on TV when the judges criticize his dancing. It's kind of childish, really, but that is his personality. But the positive thing about it, is that it gives the Baltimore Ravens franchise more national exposure and that is great.
    The key word is "Voluntary"! Suggs, Ngata, Yanda are not at the facility. Who is to say Jacoby isn't working on football training. My issue is Cerrato is wrong about sooooo many football related issues. Just last week he said the Ravens would need 6 million in cap space for the rookies. He couldn't have been more wrong. He stumbled and stammered all over his draft scouting reports. No idea how this guy ever was a GM

I once thought that Cerrato could bring a perspective to talk radio that no one else could...that of course being from the vantage point of a former league GM. But that hope has come and gone. A flunky GM like Cerrato criticizing Ozzie Newsome was the end of him for me. That's akin to 'N Sync criticizing The Beatles.

I'll give him this, he has brass stones. He takes credit for successes in San Francisco and at Notre Dame that he had next to nothing to do with. Rumor has it (from a good source who used to cover Cerrato in DC) that the guy got the job in San Francisco as a favor to Lou Holtz who needed to get him out of his recruiter role at Notre Dame.

Anyone ever notice how every bad move in DC was the fault of Dan Snyder and the few good moves were all on him?

He had a rap in DC has a self-centered egotist who you shouldn't turn your back on. I'm sure Ken Weinman could tell you a thing or two about that.

Sometimes I wonder if he's ballsy or just not very bright. I had to laugh when he disparagingly referred to Eric DeCosta as an "Ozzie wannabe." I'm thinking this clown is a "DeCosta wannabe."

GOTA is spot on... Sirius/XM is the way to go.

Except of course when I can do guest spots on 105.7 The Fan :D

I'm sure there's next to no chance of me joining Rob & Vinny now.
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post

I'm sure there's next to no chance of me joining Rob & Vinny now.
    You think?

I was just sitting here trying to imagine Vinnie working for Nestor.

Cerrato is a waste and I only listen because of Rob Long. He is judgmental on so many levels and does not add credible information to off-set being a hag. The reality is that a lot of radio voices are simply opinion people; no real difference between them and my tailgating buddies so why in the world do I care about them. I listen to 105.7 like trying to pan for gold nuggets from time to time.

OT, I am not a big NFL Radio fan simply because (a) I prefer talk about the local team, and (b) I have trouble listening to the National market slobber over the Big Name Teams and those who are Ball Boys for Manning, Brady, et. al. I also do not care about interviews with Coaches and Players, since most of the time it is cannned discussion; that I could probably recite. I am a Homer when it comes to the information I want; I can take some information about the rest of the teams, but not the love-fest that surrounds the nationally popular ones. However, there are two morons on 105.7 that send me to the national channel regardless; so there are exceptions to every rule.

Of course, I come here for the real stuff if I can access it.
    Captain Offense

Rob Long has the ability to handle his own show, bring a Baltimore perspective without being a homer and actually interacting with callers. Instead he is tied to Cerrato who was a terrible GM and a bad radio personality. I thought having a former GM would mean he would have access to great guests from the league and interesting insight. Instead he is just a windbag looking to cash a check. Give Rob his show back and let Vinnie do what he knows, coach youth hockey and order wine.
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less"--GEN R. E. Lee

I never liked or respected Cerrato and never will.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Local sports radio everywhere is crap. SiriusXM NFL radio is on another level. It makes it very tough to go back to the local yokel guys.
    Indeed. I can't remember the last time I listened to terrestrial radio.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Local sports radio everywhere is crap. SiriusXM NFL radio is on another level. It makes it very tough to go back to the local yokel guys.
    This month on Movin the Chains they're doing really in depth analysis on everything from formations, alignments, gap discipline, etc. You can email your questions and they read every one and shape their show accordingly. Great interviews too. This is the month to listen to Sirius NFL

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Cool Re: Vinny Cerrato

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    I never liked or respected Cerrato and never will.
    I always find it pathetic that some of the worst performers in positions of management on football teams (Matt Millen, Jerry Glanville, Vinny Cerrato, Charley Casserly, etc.) too often show up in either print or media as some sort of expert because they once were in a position that they completely failed at. I wish someone would do a top ten list of these losers sometime just for laughs!

Oh, and since he always likes to boast that because he once coached he has the skill to critique everything the Ravens do, we can also include Mike Preston on this list too!

I think Vinny is just one of those people that get upset with progress. Clearly he is intimidated by the implication of the three great revolutions of our era. Those three revolutions of course are in chronological order:

1) French
    2) Russian
    3) Dance Dance