Ozzie Newsome in the HoF as a GM?

I was reading an article about him recently and the author made mention of his credentials as a GM and it got me thinking.

If Ozzie was just a GM and never a tight end for the Browns, does his GM credentials warrant his induction?

If so, this also led to another question. Since he is already inducted in the HoF, will he have to go through another re-induction (not sure if that's even a word) once he retires as the Ravens GM?

If you take a look at the few players who were inducted and also served as a GM, their page on the HoF web site lists both their playing records and the teams to which they served as GM's.

Can you imagine the utter melt down the Browns fans will have if they have to see all of his Ravens success stories on the same page as his Browns success's?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 05-06-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Re: Ozzie Newsome in the HoF as a GM?

Since he was already in the hall of fame I figured they wouldn't do anything, besides like you said adding his accomplishments as a GM.

Edit: Oh and as for the first part of course he gets in for just his credentials as a GM, he has been the best in the business for 15+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I was reading an article about him recently and the author made mention of his credentials as a GM and it got me thinking.

If Ozzie was just a GM and never a tight end for the Browns, does his GM credentials warrant his induction?

If so, this also led to another question. Since he is already inducted in the HoF, will he have to go through another re-induction (not sure if that's even a word) once he retires as the Ravens GM?

If you take a look at the few players who were inducted and also served as a GM, their page on the HoF web site lists both their playing records and the teams to which they served as GM's. Can imagine the utter melt down the Browns fans will have if they have to see all of his Ravens success stories on the same page as his Browns success's?

Thoughts?
    IMHO...yes.

Not only because of his incredible success, but he is very important in NFL history due to being the first black GM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

By the time Ozzie Newsome retires, he should have three plaques at the HOF :
    (1) Long, successful career at TE for the Cleveland Browns.
    (2) GM for Baltimore Ravens, winning multiple Super Bowls.
    (3) As an honorable, decent human being.
    ... Bc

Blog Entries

There was mention recently of "If Elway hadn't been in the HOF as a player, he might be going in as a GM for the moves he made".

Now that you are done screaming "WTF??????" for the past 10 minutes, I believe the takeaway there is that, while the author is obviously a bit delusional, they also know that there is no separate process for someone changing from player to coach/executive when they are already in the HOF.

I suppose I could be wrong, but it was definitely mentioned somewhere else.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    There was mention recently of "If Elway hadn't been in the HOF as a player, he might be going in as a GM for the moves he made".

Now that you are done screaming "WTF??????" for the past 10 minutes, I believe the takeaway there is that, while the author is obviously a bit delusional, they also know that there is no separate process for someone changing from player to coach/executive when they are already in the HOF.

I suppose I could be wrong, but it was definitely mentioned somewhere else.
    I see what you're saying and yes, Elway is far away from Ozzie in terms of GM success. But I see what you're saying.

I think there would have to be a separate induction. If you look at Ozzie's page, it makes zero mention of anything he's done in Baltimore. I doubt they would simply add on to it.

Aside from my biased opinion, Ozzie is considered by many to be the best GM in football. His first 2 picks of Ogden and Lewis both first ballot HOFers is the stuff of legends. On the merit of his tenure of GM alone, I believe he's deserving.

I can't find a precedent of 2 inductions. The HOF started in 1971, I'm not sure if anyone else would have been deserving since then. If possible, Ozzie should be the first. He's still only 57, so I hope we don't find out for a long time.

Blog Entries

If you take a look at the few players who were inducted and also served as a GM, their page on the HoF web site lists both their playing records and the teams to which they served as GM's.

Can you imagine the utter melt down the Browns fans will have if they have to see all of his Ravens success stories on the same page as his Browns success's?

Thoughts?
    I posted the same topic before the Super Bowl. I found out that a no one can go into the HoF twice I love the idea though and feel that Ozzie absolutely should be in the Hall of Fame as an executive.

The best thing to do is to try and find a comparative GM and see if he gets in. Jerry Reese the GM of the Giants already has 2 Super Bowl wins. He's entering his 6th year and is only 49. Reese could put in 20+ years just like Ozzie will. If Reese gets in as an executive then there is no way that Ozzie wouldn't have. Of course we're going to have to wait a long time to find out since Reece isn't going anywhere soon.