Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Re: Ray Rice as slot receiver?

Were any defenses shaking in their boots when the Dolphins lined Reggie Bush up in the slot? Not really. That doesn't mean you can't do it every now and then but maybe you get 15 snaps a season in that formation. Ray Rice is not going to be a regular slot receiver.

Blog Entries

They would with Rice lining up in slot but I like the idea of alternating him as
    Solo mentioned above and with Pitta and he'll still be RB. Slot receivers are often smaller than the big WRs like 5'7" Hawkins of the Bengals. They also have great lateral movements like Rice in the SD video above and they're not afraid to take the bumps and bruises like Ray.

Here's an article entitled SLOT MACHINES and Rice fits the profile here.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/85...-espn-magazine

Quote Originally Posted by goldenelite28 View Post
    Jimmy Smith too.
    Sure, now that he's been relieved of his duties as LT.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

I dont think necessarilly that the Ray wil be full time slot reciever, but if you notice, we are starting to get some "tweeners" on offense.

Pitta, that new FB and Rice are all multi-faceted and can slide in between positions.

Add depth with guys like Pierce and there could be some interesting personnel packages next season.

It will be interesting to see what wrinkles Cladwell comes up with.

NE used two catching TEs effectively. How can you use 2 great RBs effectively?

Remember, this is his first full year as OC.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miz89 View Post
    Rather see Pierce in the backfield and Rice in the slot. Rice and Pierce are both much better than the 4th round pick who seems to be getting overrated at a high pace.
    He is getting high praise because of his performance during the Senior Bowl. He was already a natural receiver, but he was just dominating at the Senior Bowl as a blocker out of the backfield.

Is he getting overrated a bit? Maybe. However, I think you're significantly undervaluing what he can bring to this offense.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

6. Re: Ray Rice as slot receiver?

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Webb View Post
    I hope we see more of Rice in the slot this year. He's a mismatch problem and playing more WR will prolong his career.
    I wanna say that Marshall Faulk alluded to how his use as a receiver extended his career...if not productivity...so I don't think this is a stretch of the imagination to utilize Ray in that capacity

7. Re: Ray Rice as slot receiver?

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Were any defenses shaking in their boots when the Dolphins lined Reggie Bush up in the slot? Not really. That doesn't mean you can't do it every now and then but maybe you get 15 snaps a season in that formation. Ray Rice is not going to be a regular slot receiver.
    You have a point...however those 15 snaps will keep opposing defense honest to be sure...it would be just one more thing for them to to prepare for if they used it only 1-3 times per game

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    Maybe we should just field 11 safeties on D...
    Is that the ultimate definition of a "bend-but-don't-break" defense?
    http://russellstreetreport.com/forum...reak-mean-quot

Yeah, use him in the slot, spread him out wide, put him at TE, just get the ball in his hands. Rice is still our #1 weapon on offense and he needs to be part of the game plan at all times. Even when the ball doesn't go to him the defense has to account for him at all times. He opens up opportunities that the offense would not otherwise have.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

SuggsKill Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    Yeah, use him in the slot, spread him out wide, put him at TE, just get the ball in his hands. Rice is still our #1 weapon on offense and he needs to be part of the game plan at all times. Even when the ball doesn't go to him the defense has to account for him at all times. He opens up opportunities that the offense would not otherwise have.
    /End threak. Give him the damn ball