Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Where are our holes?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravskins View Post
    I like your optimism. While we do have the bodies to plug the holes on defense, are they good bodies? That's my concern. We're counting on rookies (Elam, Brown) to make an impact, how will the new vets fit (Dumervil, Canty, Spears, McClain, and Huff), and how will the effective will be the injured (Webb and McClain)?

The defense has a lot of turnover and wouldn't be surprised if they were very inconsistent this year (hopefully become more of a force in the later part of the year).

It will be interesting to see a Ravens defense without Lewis and Reed and this will be the year for the offense to take the lead like they did during the post-season run.
    Keep in mind that Suggs (achillies) was injured for most of the year, and our old vets (Ray Lewis / Ed Reed) were not up to their usual standards. IMO the Ravens staff has added an ocean of young defensive players to go along with several veterans (Doom, Canty, Spears, R. McClain, and Huff) who already have a history in the league. Yes Ravskins, they may have a certain "inconsistency" early in the 2013 season, but we have one of the best coaching staffs in the business, so don't discount their stout play later in the regular season. If I was Marvin Lewis, Bengals HC, and I needed a win on Dec. 29th, I'd be nervous right now... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by justifythegame View Post
    There are holes every year, its hard for every position to be a sure thing, the closest is probably the 49ers. But this year we have more clear holes than in recent memory, just because a player was drafted doesn't mean the holes has been filled (great e.g Terrance Cody). Just because a player is first round doesn't mean they can't be a bust, and the odds of a later round player playing as well as an average starter isn't very high either.

#2 CB - no established starter, i think Jimmy Smith will get the start so he can prove that he is not a bust and is worthy of being re-signed in the future. I doubt Corey Graham is back in 2 years.

#1 CB - There are uncertainties about whether Webb can play (at least like 2 years ago) coming back from a serious injury.

NT - the rookie will probably beat Cody, doesn't necessarily mean he will be good or bad.

OLB - Terrell Suggs best year are probably behind him. He is over 30, he had an injury that can end careers or make pass rushers ineffective for the rest of their careers e.g shawn merriman, and last we saw he was seriously overweight and out of shape.

MLB - Rookie, McClain coming off a serious spinal injury (wasn't even sure if he would be back) - definitely can make you play different e.g Dawan Landry. I don't consider Rolando a starter.

SS - Rookie

LT - McKinnie, nuff said.

C - Unproven center Gradkowski, i read on his scouting report he needed to be stronger to play c in the NFL.

WR #1 - Can Torrey Smith become a reliable #1.

WR #3 - Who emerges as a slot receiver, do we even have a good one etc.
    You can do this to everyone on the team.

Flacco put together 4 good games but has not been consistent in the regular season.

Ray Rice had poor production in the playoffs and fumbled twice.

Ngata gets hurt often, and was removed from the Super Bowl injured.

Can KO play consistently without Birk beside him?

Who are we missing? Ozzie should have cleaned house and started from scratch. It's amazing we won a game last year.

Blog Entries

Personally i see no holes. Our least experienced is obviously Wr and C. I like what we have at both though. Im pumped for a title defense.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by CodyPKA View Post
    WR worries me. I have a feeling a veteran will get cut that we will have interest in
    +1. Happens time and time again. Ozzie even said we'll end up getting a good player right before camp.

I'm not sure why people are as worried about Suggs coming back from his injury. Yes, he may not be at the DPOY level, but does he need to be? There is a legitimate 1A pass rusher next to him now. Plus, I see the Ravens using a steady rotation to keep him fresh. Upshaw and John Simon will be good for Suggs.

Also, if you rewatch the playoff games, Suggs was getting better each game. He had to adjust his game and use more of his bull rush, as he wasn't nearly as explosive with his get-off. I think you'll see a more complete game from him overall.

At this point I see only questions to be answered not problems to be solved and I am exited to see what happens next.
    Wr is the biggest ? But I think the offense takes a big jump in the rankings and produces much more consistently. I always felt wr was an overrated position in general. We have some serious assets in all of the other position groups, and young potential in plenty of the in house prospects. Developing wrs can and does happen when you have a franchise qb who is protected.

:T2:

Quote Originally Posted by sopranocorleone View Post
    I'm not sure why people are as worried about Suggs coming back from his injury. Yes, he may not be at the DPOY level, but does he need to be? There is a legitimate 1A pass rusher next to him now. Plus, I see the Ravens using a steady rotation to keep him fresh. Upshaw and John Simon will be good for Suggs.

Also, if you rewatch the playoff games, Suggs was getting better each game. He had to adjust his game and use more of his bull rush, as he wasn't nearly as explosive with his get-off. I think you'll see a more complete game from him overall.
    Thanks. Suggs could have taken the whole year off with achilles injury but he worked his butt off to get back. Even after suffering another injury he played through it. I don't see how anyone can question his commitment and drive. It's been reported he is working his butt off in the off season and will have a bookend pass rusher to complement him this year. Expecting his play to elevate from the end of last season is realistic, no purple glasses needed.

Sure the rookies are going to have some growing pains and may get off to a slow start. Sure we're going to miss the genius anticipation Ray and Ed brought to the game. But we're going to be significantly more athletic, we'll get consistent pressure from our front four, and the sky is the limit for Joe under Caldwell. We have a ton of talent and no gaping weaknesses. I can't wait for Denver!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    Thanks. Suggs could have taken the whole year off with achilles injury but he worked his butt off to get back. Even after suffering another injury he played through it. I don't see how anyone can question his commitment and drive. It's been reported he is working his butt off in the off season and will have a bookend pass rusher to complement him this year. Expecting his play to elevate from the end of last season is realistic, no purple glasses needed.
    Well said.

Terrell Suggs has really grown up. He knows this team needs a new leader and he has seen first hand what it takes from the GOAT.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Hate to say it but the big unknown is injury. It hits every team, just some harder than others

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

WR maybe our current weakness. However, if they can design a plan for a slot receiver and have the TE that catch on the slants as well, we can be okay without Boldin. While I love Torrey and Jacobby, we need a slot and short pass receiver that compliments everything as well

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Hate to say it but the big unknown is injury. It hits every team, just some harder than others
    You can say that about any team in any year. In fact you could probably say that the greatest determiners of success or failure in the NFL are things you can't plan for (injuries & turnovers). But if ever there's been a team built to overcome injuries, it's this one. Good grief, look at last year--Suggs out with the Achilles & then the arm, Webb & Ray lost in the Dallas game, Pollard and Yanda missing a couple of games--& tell me again where they finished?