Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 LastLast

Re: McKinnie Signs 2 year deal with Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    IMO Pitta is a "must sign." Next would come Oher, for a reasonable price. Art Jones, who I think is a pretty good DT/DE, is expendable... Bc
    Remembering the pro bowl vote from last year? Oher is way overrated. I can see him getting overpaid next year by another team.

Re: McKinnie returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    at the very least we now have some continuity on the Oline it still strengthens the inner line with Yanda and KO at Gaurd, Gino im still worried about.
    From all reports Gino played very well against the Bengals in his only start.

Blog Entries

Dirt, please reread my post. Pitta is an important signing, but IMO Art Jones is not.
    I'd resign Oher for a "reasonable contract." The Ravens don't have a young LT, so to release Oher would leave us without both OTs. Is anyone comfortable with Jah Reid, or moving KO back, or one of the young guys (Wagner, Cornell, Gaines) @ RT? I think people underestimate Oher's talent ... Bc
    I respect what you wrote. However, I think that RTs are a lot easier to find than LTs. Oher is signed for this upcoming year, so this will not be an issue until after the season. I think Ozzie is going to get a young LT after this season. However, drafting at the end of the first round will make it difficult for him to get such a player in the draft. That probably means that he will get one via trade or FA, and such players are expensive. The Ravens will be up against the cap next year as well, which will make it difficult to pay that LT, Yanda, and Oher big contracts. I know you said that the Ravens would like to sign Oher to a "reasonable contract". But Oher is not McKinnie. He is a lot younger, and has no red flags. If anything, Oher is the model for an NFL OT from a character perspective, and is a good RT. Some team is going to make a play for him, which means that he is going to get a contract at least as big as the 4 yr. $22 million deal signed by Eric Winston when he signed with the Chiefs. Oher will probably get more than that due to his ability to also play LT in a pinch. If those numbers represent a reasonable amount on top of paying a big contract to a LT, then I am in agreement.

Blog Entries

I think Oher is gone next year, Ricky Wagner was drafted as his replacement, and I think we shouldn't sleep in him at all, remember some people had him as high as a first round prospect at LT before last year. I think the future book ends involves Wagner at RT, and someone else at LT next year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I respect what you wrote. However, I think that RTs are a lot easier to find than LTs. Oher is signed for this upcoming year, so this will not be an issue until after the season. I think Ozzie is going to get a young LT after this season. However, drafting at the end of the first round will make it difficult for him to get such a player in the draft. That probably means that he will get one via trade or FA, and such players are expensive. The Ravens will be up against the cap next year as well, which will make it difficult to pay that LT, Yanda, and Oher big contracts. I know you said that the Ravens would like to sign Oher to a "reasonable contract". But Oher is not McKinnie. He is a lot younger, and has no red flags. If anything, Oher is the model for an NFL OT from a character perspective, and is a good RT. Some team is going to make a play for him, which means that he is going to get a contract at least as big as the 4 yr. $22 million deal signed by Eric Winston when he signed with the Chiefs. Oher will probably get more than that due to his ability to also play LT in a pinch. If those numbers represent a reasonable amount on top of paying a big contract to a LT, then I am in agreement.
    Keep in mind that the Ravens offered Cary Williams a 3 year ($15 million) contract which he rejected, so a 4 year ($22 million) contract for Oher is not out of the question. BTW, I respect your posts too, even if we don't agree on the subject... Bc

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    The Sun reported that it includes a signing bonus, incentive bonus and workout bonus. Personally, I hope he gets every penny of it since it would mean he was in shape and playing well. 7m for 2 years is not a bad price for a starting LT.
    Incentive driven I suspect and interesting they won't disclose details of bonuses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    :word I started out at 15 working at my great aunt's restaurant for minimum wage doing everything from washing dishes to food prep. Plus, I helped my dad rehab a few houses when to flip them for money.

A lot of these guys who go broke are just idiots that don't live in reality. They expect those big paychecks to come forever. I know in the NFL they have rookie symposiums, and they go over money management.
    This is sliding OT, but I think the bigger problem for most players is that they all have a higher opinion of their abilities than anyone else. It is probably a necessary trait to be a successful athlete.

But suddenly they lose a step, or get an injury, or can't hit a major league fastball anymore, and they are out of work much sooner than they were planning. In their head, their career arc is always longer and higher than it ends up in reality.
    "Chin up, chest out."

From AIRFLACCO : "As Brooks Robinson said years ago when he filed bankruptcy, no one ever educated ball players in money"

After high school, trying to get through college, I worked as an electrician's assistant. I carried tools, drilled holes, tore down sheetrock, etc. for about $10 an hour. I learned the value of a dollar, just as my father had said, and tried to be reasonable with my meager finances. I really have very little pity for grown men (21+) who blow million$... Bc
    The funny part is that theoretically, if you're in the NFL for 5-7 years, you should be set up for life and NEVER half to work again. I know a lot of guys go into TV but if you're not a complete idiot, you shouldn't have to.

In that 30 for 30 documentary, Herman Edwards was talking to players and telling them that they can buy nice shit, as long as they only buy 1 of each. 1 Ferrari. 1 huge house. 1 huge TV. Because they can afford that. But they can't afford 5 Ferrari's and properties all over the country.

Seriously though, most players could live the rest of their lives not having to work a day if they stuck to that. If they stuck 1-2 million in bonds or annuities and then just lived off their nest egg of maybe 10-12 million made over the course of their career. There's plenty of room for a sick house, a sick car, and a high standard of living. As long as they just get 1 of each.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    The funny part is that theoretically, if you're in the NFL for 5-7 years, you should be set up for life and NEVER half to work again. I know a lot of guys go into TV but if you're not a complete idiot, you shouldn't have to.

In that 30 for 30 documentary, Herman Edwards was talking to players and telling them that they can buy nice shit, as long as they only buy 1 of each. 1 Ferrari. 1 huge house. 1 huge TV. Because they can afford that. But they can't afford 5 Ferrari's and properties all over the country.

Seriously though, most players could live the rest of their lives not having to work a day if they stuck to that. If they stuck 1-2 million in bonds or annuities and then just lived off their nest egg of maybe 10-12 million made over the course of their career. There's plenty of room for a sick house, a sick car, and a high standard of living. As long as they just get 1 of each.
    You give me 5 mil in cash after taxes, and I'll never work another day in my life. I'd invest at least 4 million, and I could live off that interest. The rest I could spend on a nice house, car, vacation, etc... I wouldn't be living like Jay-z or anything, but I'd be pretty well off.

You give me 5 mil in cash after taxes, and I'll never work another day in my life. I'd invest at least 4 million, and I could live off that interest. The rest I could spend on a nice house, car, vacation, etc... I wouldn't be living like Jay-z or anything, but I'd be pretty well off.
    that would be a piece of cake... that's AT LEAST 10k per month(3% interest forever after taxes) PLUS 1 Mill to blow up front... no problem at all. BUt as you say, i towuldn't be living liek a king. BUy a $6-700k house cash, a couple new cars, some vacations and furnishings... and then you have $10k/mont in perpetuity for taxes, ins, food, utilities and future vacations. No Problem. Much less then that $5m tax free and I would continue to work through my 30's and perhaps 40's.

Blog Entries

That's the key. You live mostly like you do now and you'd still have plenty for extras. Most of these guys don't want to live that way. I still remember that stupid truck that Chris McAlister used to drive. It looked like a tractor trailer cap it was so damn big and it was covered in all sorts of shiny crap. Now he's broke and wonders why.

Blog Entries
    Pay Kirwan was chuckling about this deal saying the Ravens got him for half price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!