Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    I see 2 years 7M being reported but are there any details? Curious if this 2 year deal is effectively a 1

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Re: McKinnie Signs 2 year deal with Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    The Ravens picked him up a couple years ago after the Vikings cut him for weight and bad workout ethic. I remember the board being real worried about who was going to be our LT back then also, and the signing being a surprise as well. Many posters thought his contract would be incentive laden in order to motivate him.

I wonder if anyone knows what incentives were on his previous contract, and how many he actually achieved?
    Well, we know that he had a 500K weigh-in bonus last spring...
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: McKinnie returns.

Yea these guys make a lot of money but I think were the problem is that many of them set themselves up with a lifestyle they can usually maintain as a player with a check coming in but cannot once their playing days are over. Trying to maintain that lifestyle with maybe 1/5th (if they are lucky) the money coming in will drain a bank account very fast.

Some guys go on to make good money in the media but even those guys are in most cases pulling in less. Other guys are very bright, took their education seriously and go on to be successful in business etc. Others even though they are bright can be caught in bad investments, shady managers etc. Lots of pitfalls for these guys and lots of ways to go broke. Not playing a violin for them but just saying its not as hard as sounds to lose millions.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

If its 2 years $7M, that's a tad more than i'd like to pay for McKinnie, but not bad considering the market value and what we have going on at LT. Imagine it's incentive based too.

I Gotta say, I love how Ozzie operates.

Pat Kerwin explained yesterday and said it was likely that Mckinnie had a number in mind, and Oz simply didn't agree.

So Ozzie let Mckinnie (like Ray) go out and guage his value and simply allow the Ravens a chance to either meet it or beat it.

Then Ozzie can decide if that need is great enough to meet or beat the new offer. But it's always an informed decision. And there are never bidding wars.

but the important thing is that Ozzie never tells players "you aren't worth that."

(That's especially important with guys liek Mckinnie.) He lets the player go out and come to that conclusion themselves, ensuring a more motivated player that is not bitter toward the franchise for dissing them.

Kerwin attributed the technique to Ozzie remembering and seeing slighted players while playing in the league...

Grimace_1.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, Grimace is back!

Keep those Big Macs & McNuggets coming...

Seriously though, I think this is a good move especially if his contract is incentive-laden.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bensmotorcyclehelmt View Post
    If its 2 years $7M, that's a tad more than i'd like to pay for McKinnie, but not bad considering the market value and what we have going on at LT. Imagine it's incentive based too.

I Gotta say, I love how Ozzie operates.

Pat Kerwin explained yesterday and said it was likely that Mckinnie had a number in mind, and Oz simply didn't agree.

So Ozzie let Mckinnie (like Ray) go out and guage his value and simply allow the Ravens a chance to either meet it or beat it.

Then Ozzie can decide if that need is great enough to meet or beat the new offer. But it's always an informed decision. And there are never bidding wars.

but the important thing is that Ozzie never tells players "you aren't worth that."

(That's especially important with guys liek Mckinnie.) He lets the player go out and come to that conclusion themselves, ensuring a more motivated player that is not bitter toward the franchise for dissing them.

Kerwin attributed the technique to Ozzie remembering and seeing slighted players while playing in the league...
    I'm sure it's set up in a way for the team to cut him or come up with a pay cut for next year if they have to. That's exactly what Ozzie did last time. I can't see Ozzie agreeing to a deal for an older player that doesn't protect the team in 2014.

I'm also sure it's exactly what Kirwin said. Ozzie has been operating that way for 15 years and it's worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I see 2 years 7M being reported but are there any details? Curious if this 2 year deal is effectively a 1
    The Sun reported that it includes a signing bonus, incentive bonus and workout bonus. Personally, I hope he gets every penny of it since it would mean he was in shape and playing well. 7m for 2 years is not a bad price for a starting LT.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    FWIW, a few weeks ago Bisciotti was talking about getting Oher extended, as well as Pitta and Art Jones, I believe.
    IMO Pitta is a "must sign." Next would come Oher, for a reasonable price. Art Jones, who I think is a pretty good DT/DE, is expendable... Bc

Blog Entries

From AIRFLACCO : "As Brooks Robinson said years ago when he filed bankruptcy, no one ever educated ball players in money"

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    In 2009 SI had a story that said over 75% of retired NFL players end up declaring bankruptcy. Even if that number is high it's still a very large amount.
    After high school, trying to get through college, I worked as an electrician's assistant. I carried tools, drilled holes, tore down sheetrock, etc. for about $10 an hour. I learned the value of a dollar, just as my father had said, and tried to be reasonable with my meager finances. I really have very little pity for grown men (21+) who blow million$... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    IMO Pitta is a "must sign." Next would come Oher, for a reasonable price. Art Jones, who I think is a pretty good DT/DE, is expendable... Bc
    I agree with Pitta and Art Jones being important to re-sign. I do not think that it is urgent for the Ravens to re-sign Oher. The Ravens need a young LT, and Oher has shown clearly that he is not that player. If they are somehow able to draft a LT then great, because that player will not cost a huge amount of money, especially considering where the Ravens draft and the rookie salary cap. However, if the go after a young LT via a trade or FA (i.e. Eugene Monroe) after this season, then I would say that Oher is not worth what they would have to pay him as a RT. Such a LT would likely command a big contract.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post

After high school, trying to get through college, I worked as an electrician's assistant. I carried tools, drilled holes, tore down sheetrock, etc. for about $10 an hour. I learned the value of a dollar, just as my father had said, and tried to be reasonable with my meager finances. I really have very little pity for grown men (21+) who blow million$... Bc
    :word I started out at 15 working at my great aunt's restaurant for minimum wage doing everything from washing dishes to food prep. Plus, I helped my dad rehab a few houses when to flip them for money.

A lot of these guys who go broke are just idiots that don't live in reality. They expect those big paychecks to come forever. I know in the NFL they have rookie symposiums, and they go over money management.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I agree with Pitta and Art Jones being important to re-sign. I do not think that it is urgent for the Ravens to re-sign Oher. The Ravens need a young LT, and Oher has shown clearly that he is not that player. If they are somehow able to draft a LT then great, because that player will not cost a huge amount of money, especially considering where the Ravens draft and the rookie salary cap. However, if the go after a young LT via a trade or FA (i.e. Eugene Monroe) after this season, then I would say that Oher is not worth what they would have to pay him as a RT. Such a LT would likely command a big contract.
    Dirt, please reread my post. Pitta is an important signing, but IMO Art Jones is not.
    I'd resign Oher for a "reasonable contract." The Ravens don't have a young LT, so to release Oher would leave us without both OTs. Is anyone comfortable with Jah Reid, or moving KO back, or one of the young guys (Wagner, Cornell, Gaines) @ RT? I think people underestimate Oher's talent ... Bc