Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 111213

Re: Over the Top Stadium designs

Getting back on the true topic, here is what Minny's new stadium will look like. No retractable roof, but apparently it'll have retractable glass side panels and a clear roof. Interesting concept.

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/p...f30b73c6#start
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    Getting back on the true topic, here is what Minny's new stadium will look like. No retractable roof, but apparently it'll have retractable glass side panels and a clear roof. Interesting concept.

That's bizarre.

When I was a kid, Bud Grant wouldn't allow them to play with sleeves! They used the cold to their advantage the way the Packers do now. I don't think Mini has had much success since they went into a dome, other than the Favre experiment that almost worked.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Interesting setup.. looks like only half the roof is leuvered to let air/sunlight in? I guess it made more sense to go with that. Seriously how often would they open a retractable roof in Minnesota? Once October rolls around the weather up there sucks. Makes sense to go with a custom roof like that instead.

Gives them a leg up on hosting Final Fours, a Super Bowl, etc etc..

I like it.

They didn't make the mistake that Jerry Jones made and made the roof too low. Not a fan of the baseball set up but I think they just through that in there to show it can be done.

Yes, they're definitely well primed for Final Fours, Super Bowls, etc.

Nice looking new digs in Minneapolis. I'm still not convinced that there was enough "wrong" with the Metrodome to justify the billion dollar project.

I liked what the Canucks did in Vancouver: tore down the BC Place fabric roof (same design as th Metrodome) to be replaced witha movable roof. The seating bowl at BC Place was adequate, so other changes in its overhaul were cosmetic.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Yes, they're definitely well primed for Final Fours, Super Bowls, etc.
    Super Bowl (singular). They'll get one, maybe, and that will be it.

where we at?

8. Re: Over the Top Stadium designs

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    As someone mentioned before, it's about making the most money possible.

Whether fans in Bmore want to admit it or not, either retrofitting or a new stadium will be needed if we hope to compete. Yes, it is indeed about keeping up with The Jones'. This is an huge part of the Ravens being the franchise that is so admired.
    I don't see the Ravens failing to sell out every game for the next 5-10 years because all the PSL's are sold. Nobody wants to give them up. The only way this changes is if they overcharge for their product, (which they are close to doing for many folks) and people can't afford to keep their PSL's anymore. So I don't see how they are going to make a whole lot more money without chasing away the very fans they need to be viable. There are only so many people that can afford club seat prices and other luxuries. Most of the paying public are still middle class.

IOTW the NFL has just about priced itself out. Add to that the fact that they are offering a decidedly more inferior product each passing year with every confusing, impossible to fairly officiate, wussifying rule change.

The return on investment for building an "advanced" stadium using public funds is minimal, unless of course the stadium is truly decrepit. M&T is still in very good shape and should remain so with only moderate periodic upgrades. For a major overhaul or rebuild - see ya in about 16 years which was the plan in the first place. However, I am afraid that the current greedy regime of the NFL will have destroyed the popularity of their game by that time anyway. There is a distinct possibility that we may not even recognize what they have to offer as "football" by say 2028.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    I don't see the Ravens failing to sell out every game for the next 5-10 years because all the PSL's are sold. Nobody wants to give them up. The only way this changes is if they overcharge for their product, (which they are close to doing for many folks) and people can't afford to keep their PSL's anymore. So I don't see how they are going to make a whole lot more money without chasing away the very fans they need to be viable. There are only so many people that can afford club seat prices and other luxuries. Most of the paying public are still middle class.

IOTW the NFL has just about priced itself out. Add to that the fact that they are offering a decidedly more inferior product each passing year with every confusing, impossible to fairly officiate, wussifying rule change.

The return on investment for building an "advanced" stadium using public funds is minimal, unless of course the stadium is truly decrepit. M&T is still in very good shape and should remain so with only moderate periodic upgrades. For a major overhaul or rebuild - see ya in about 16 years which was the plan in the first place. However, I am afraid that the current greedy regime of the NFL will have destroyed the popularity of their game by that time anyway. There is a distinct possibility that we may not even recognize what they have to offer as "football" by say 2028.
    Just wondering if anyone brought up the fact that Baltimore Ravens do not own the M&T Bank Stadium, unlike the Cowboys who own their stadium. Baltimore Ravens lease their stadium from Baltimore Stadium Authority, which is run by the city, essentially a government entity as I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    I am as pissed off as any other fan about the outrageous price increases we have endured in order to watch live football in Baltimore. Our $100/ticket average isn't even at the top of NFL prices. Wait to see the sticker shock for 49ers fans when the new Santa Clara stadium opens, or the Vikings fans at their new stadium.

And the rules changes aren't making it any easier to follow. I don't know how long the rule has ben around that the receiving team on a punt may opt to fair ctach to get an opportunity for one play from scrimmage, as we saw at the end of SB 47, and the many more trivial changes that occur each season. But, to date, I haven't seen any rule changes which have destroyed the game.

However, the expensive general admission seats and the rules changes aren't affecting the NFL's Golden Goose one iota. NFL TV ratings, and related TV revenues, are huge. So I don't see the demise of the NFL as you do. Rather, I may just join the TV crowd someday to stop the bleeding from paying what is, to me, top dollar to sit in a facility lacking amenities found in many othert NFL venues.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

I like the roof, you really only need the southern facing roof to be translucent if the field is configured with the endzones east-west, but the outside is too modern for my tastes. If the area around the stadium is all high rises, than the modern facade makes sense, but if it's going into an older community then it's got to be less modern. It does almost look like what I said in the original post, an open air stadium with a roof structure built around it. Which, if possible, is all M&T Bank Stadium would need rather than a brand new stadium rebuild.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

tickets are outrageous. I just do not know if I can afford them anymore. Are others in the same boat?