Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

According to Football Outsiders, Ravens were 3rd worst tackling team in the league

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...,1751721.story

Good discussion piece.

Not surprising to see who lead the team and the league in missed tackles.

We need our linebackers to do a better job though.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Re: According to Football Outsiders, Ravens were 3rd worst tackling team in the league

Arthur Brown will definitely help with that.

He may never become the physical presence of a Patrick Willis or any of those guys, but he is a tackling machine and has nice range.

My hope is that guys like Huff, Webb, and Elam don't have to make a ton of tackles because our front 7 swallows the play up at the line of scrimmage.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: According to Football Outsiders, Ravens were 3rd worst tackling team in the league

Great defenses have not equaled Championships in a very long time. Instead it's been the defenses that really put it together at the end of the season and the playoffs that have won. Do these season rankings even matter anymore?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Great defenses have not equaled Championships in a very long time. Instead it's been the defenses that really put it together at the end of the season and the playoffs that have won. Do these season rankings even matter anymore?
    Not necessarily, but it is interesting to read because it pretty much supports what many of us were thinking/discussing all year long.

Blog Entries

Just curious but Ellerbe had 8 missed tackles but how many were when both thumbs were broke and he literally couldnt wrap up? Hes always seemed like a pretty sure tackler imo.
    -JAB

With better tackling, we would have went 14-2 in regular season. Also Denver SP would have not scored at all and the game wouldn't have been that close. LOL

it's the reason Ed Reed is gone.

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Arthur Brown will definitely help with that.

He may never become the physical presence of a Patrick Willis or any of those guys, but he is a tackling machine and has nice range.

My hope is that guys like Huff, Webb, and Elam don't have to make a ton of tackles because our front 7 swallows the play up at the line of scrimmage.
    I am looking for these two guys in particular to really help rectify this problem.

Blog Entries

Although I am not a fan of these sites, it was clear to see that the tackling was not very good. Right now, the trend is to have a high quality offense with a defense that gets hot at the right time. However, trends do come to an end and new trends begin. You just don't know when. It's better to be safe than sorry.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

I'm not a big FO fan either but anyone who watched the games could tell you the team was horrible in tackling effort last year. Watching teams get gashing run after run was tough to take.

This is one of the reasons I am fairly optimistic about the huge turnover on defense. The defense was really bad last year; so the bar is not that high. The unknown factor is leadership from losing Ray and to a lesser degree, Reed.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Werewolf View Post
    I am looking for these two guys in particular to really help rectify this problem.
    They will certainly help in that area. Huff is a pretty solid tackler and Elam is like a friggin rocket.

My point was that I am hoping our front 7 is so dominant that the secondary doesn't need to do a lot of tackling.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I'm not a big FO fan either but anyone who watched the games could tell you the team was horrible in tackling effort last year. Watching teams get gashing run after run was tough to take.

This is one of the reasons I am fairly optimistic about the huge turnover on defense. The defense was really bad last year; so the bar is not that high. The unknown factor is leadership from losing Ray and to a lesser degree, Reed.
    The play that comes to mind the most is Byron Leftwich's slow ass stumbling down the field and falling into the end zone.