Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 37 to 48 of 156
  1. #37

    Re: Over the Top Stadium designs



    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    It's not about just drawing in people, it's about squeezing in as many premium (club and suites) as possible...those are the money making seats, not the bowl and upper deck for the great unwashed.

    It's also about being able to host as many other money making events as possible as I am pretty sure the team makes a percentage of revenue every time the stadium is used.

    The facts of the matter is that the average lifespan of these stadiums is about 25-30 years...and we are 15 years into M&T. It will either go through major renovations or the prospect of replacement will be brought up in the next decade or so.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Out of curiosity how long is the lease on M&T with the Ravens as of today.

    That number will have a lot to do with this. I would never expect Steve B to use the moving out of Maryland threat but the logical time for this to really start becoming a hot topic would seem to be around the time the lease comes due if its more than say 5yrs out. My guess is that the current stadium gets a massive face lift that improves the aesthetics and increases the number of suites/boxes.
    A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,
    -Ray Lewis




  2. #38

    Re: Over the Top Stadium designs

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    It's not about just drawing in people, it's about squeezing in as many premium (club and suites) as possible...those are the money making seats, not the bowl and upper deck for the great unwashed.
    I agree, but I think M&T has a decent stock of club-level and suite-level seats. As long as the team is competitive, and they can charge the premium prices, they will generate adequate revenue.

    It's also about being able to host as many other money making events as possible as I am pretty sure the team makes a percentage of revenue every time the stadium is used.
    In general, I would agree. But I disagree that Baltimore would be the destination-city that perhaps some are assuming. You are not going to out-compete New Orleans, Miami, Phoenix and Atlanta (or even San Diego with it's "cookie cutter stadium") for Super Bowls, Finals Fours, etc. Nor for that matter are you going to out-compete the midget 35 miles down the road that is probably already in this game.

    The facts of the matter is that the average lifespan of these stadiums is about 25-30 years...and we are 15 years into M&T. It will either go through major renovations or the prospect of replacement will be brought up in the next decade or so.
    The stadiums that are being replaced are the ones that were built before the early 90s and the concept of suite and luxury boxes. As long as a stadium has enough stock of those, and it creates the draw with a competitive team, it should be adequate for another 20 or so years, I would expect.
    Last edited by JohnBKistler; 05-03-2013 at 09:34 AM.




  3. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Perry Hall
    Posts
    2,891

    Re: Over the Top Stadium designs

    They're spending a bunch of money on renovations to the concourses at M&T over the next 2 years. Lower level and club will be done by this season. Upper level by 2014. The stadium is only 15 years old. It's not going anywhere for awhile.

    And I don't think you'll ever see a dome/retractable roof stadium in Baltimore. Or anywhere else in the AFC North for that matter.




  4. #40

    Re: Over the Top Stadium designs

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    The same reasons businesses must reinvest in infrastructure so too do NFL teams need to do the same.

    If your competition is modernizing and you're not, it's only a matter of time before its a profit drain. There are exceptions. Iconic stadia such as Green Bay, Fenway, Wrigley, etc can get away with it because the stadium itself is a draw.

    The Vault, while adequate now, is not a unique / iconic place that in of itself draws people. In 5-10 years, it's going to be a bottom tier stadium.
    And yet I bet it still sells out all it's home games as long as the team continues to be competitive...




  5. #41

    Re: Over the Top Stadium designs

    Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    And I don't think you'll ever see a dome/retractable roof stadium in Baltimore. Or anywhere else in the AFC North for that matter.
    God I hope not.




  6. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    23,359
    Quote Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post
    And yet I bet it still sells out all it's home games as long as the team continues to be competitive...
    Agreed.

    But sells outs or lack thereof won't be the reason the team will want a new stadium or ask for retrofitting.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  7. #43

    Re: Over the Top Stadium designs

    As mentioned above, with the current rehab project underway, and not expected to be finished much before the start of NEXT SEASON, I think 5 years out is way off HR. I think a new stadium has to be more then 10 years out.




  8. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Roland Park
    Posts
    2,152

    Re: Over the Top Stadium designs

    That abomination in Raljon opened the year before ours. Anybody who is unhappy at M&T should just take the trek down 95. You'll fall back in love with your home stadium. No way M&T gets replaced before FedEx does.
    "Leave. Your. Mark."




  9. #45

    Re: Over the Top Stadium designs

    HIH, Dan Snyder has already been trying to get a new stadium built where RFK is for the past few years. He wants the Redskins to play in DC.


    ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!




  10. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Arbutus
    Posts
    1,558

    Re: Over the Top Stadium designs

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Agreed.

    But sells outs or lack thereof won't be the reason the team will want a new stadium or ask for retrofitting.
    One could say constant sellouts are an incentive to build a new stadium as theoretically there would be a demand more seats, not to mention expensive suites and boxes.




  11. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    1,480

    Re: Over the Top Stadium designs

    There won't even be serious discussions of a major renovation or replacement of M&T until at least 2023, and probably closer to 2028. Modern stadiums are built to last at least 25-30 years. Honestly the fact that they're talking about replacing the Georgia Dome is almost criminal. All the (probably public) money that went into building the place in 1992, and they can barely get 20 years out of it? That's unacceptable IMO and citizens of Atlanta and the State of Georgia should be irate at the prospect of wasting money on a new stadium that isn't needed. Last I checked the Falcons are doing just fine, it isn't like they can't compete because of the Georgia Dome. A renovation I can see. A whole new stadium? That's almost a criminal waste of money.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...





  12. #48
    iggyman555 Guest

    Re: Over the Top Stadium designs

    Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    There won't even be serious discussions of a major renovation or replacement of M&T until at least 2023, and probably closer to 2028. Modern stadiums are built to last at least 25-30 years. Honestly the fact that they're talking about replacing the Georgia Dome is almost criminal. All the (probably public) money that went into building the place in 1992, and they can barely get 20 years out of it? That's unacceptable IMO and citizens of Atlanta and the State of Georgia should be irate at the prospect of wasting money on a new stadium that isn't needed. Last I checked the Falcons are doing just fine, it isn't like they can't compete because of the Georgia Dome. A renovation I can see. A whole new stadium? That's almost a criminal waste of money.
    sounds like wall street might be behind this




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland