Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texans

Texans

Anyone else thinking they are being a little written off? I mean its kinda hard to remember them with the Ravens winning the SB, the Broncos picking up Welker and the Patriots simply existing in the first place. But even though they lost Glover Quin, if Cushing stays healthy that defense is a totally different monster, and if this DeAndre Hopkins can make even SOME of an impact I think they'll be good. Watching them play the teams they lost to down the stretch, it seem like their biggest problem was a lack of options on offense. Just seemed like it was either run with Foster, or throw it to AJ. All Hopkins needs to do is make them a little less predictable.

Blog Entries

Re: Texans

Quote Originally Posted by pcook4012 View Post
    Anyone else thinking they are being a little written off? I mean its kinda hard to remember them with the Ravens winning the SB, the Broncos picking up Welker and the Patriots simply existing in the first place. But even though they lost Glover Quin, if Cushing stays healthy that defense is a totally different monster, and if this DeAndre Hopkins can make even SOME of an impact I think they'll be good. Watching them play the teams they lost to down the stretch, it seem like their biggest problem was a lack of options on offense. Just seemed like it was either run with Foster, or throw it to AJ. All Hopkins needs to do is make them a little less predictable.
    The way they faded out at the end of the season, and the way they got blown out twice by NE probably turned off their hype machine.

Isn't it amazing how their defense shut us down, but yet got trounced by NE, but then our defense shut down NE?

Their QB is on the wrong side of 30 and has never been that great to begin with. They will make the playoffs but not the Superbowl.

Blog Entries

They still have Schaub at QB. Until he proves otherwise, he's not a great QB when it counts late in the season and playoffs.

Blog Entries

They won so many lucky games last season.....Jax at home, Detroit on Thanksgiving and another one that escapes my mind.. As long as they have Schaub they arent going to go the distance. Wade Phillips defenses are great the first year, but get worse every year thereafter. I think the Colts are better at this point.

They'll still be good but the rest of the division is making moves.

Joeckel and Warmack vs Watt will be interesting to watch for a long time.

Last year was THEIR year...it was all set-up for them....Manning was gone from the Division (finally), they finally beat him on the field in Denver, they destroyed the Ravens mid-season...they rolled into December ready to lock-up the #1 seed...

And then Schaub and the Houston offense had one of their worst months ever.

The problem for the Texans is that there is not one or two things (such as a more reliable FG kicker or a more sure-handed WR) that they can put their fingers on to say this is what needs fixing next year to get them over the hump. Worse, a lot of their bad play in December can be laid at the feet of their 30+ year old QB with the multi-year, multi-million dollar contract.

So they have to dance with the one that brought them, even is she passed out before midnight last time.

Their QB and HC are their Achilles heal.

But if you say that to a Texans fan, they might start a fight with you.

Schaub has to step up, i give him a slight pass because they had absolutely nothing outside the hash marks but Andre Johnson but now they have Hopkins who should be a starter from day 1 and Keyshawn Martin is a year more experienced in the slot. They havent been able to win big games that they cant control the clock in and that has to change.

Defensively they remind me of the Steelers, aggressive to a fault and dont know how to balance out when we to play conservatively. They'll have to fix that as well. They should be right in the mix in the afc but i think they need to fix those issues to take the next step.

I think Houston holds onto the AFC South title this year and will be one of the AFC"s final four yet again. But as others have said, I just don't see Matt Schaub getting them over the final hurdle.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Their QB and HC are their Achilles heal.

But if you say that to a Texans fan, they might start a fight with you.
    Agreed.

But the fact is that basically every team in the NFL not playing in Denver, San Francisco or Seattle is getting over looked IMHO.

Those 3 teams are routinely cited as the best in the league and a clear step up on all the others by the media.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Who is writing the Texans off? I haven't heard 1 other team in that division that anyone seems to be high on.