Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Elam Character Concerns?

I love the drafting of Elam, but I've seen on two different places now, mention of some kind of character concerns...Anyone know anything about this?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ja...ake-most-sense

DB Charles Woodson: He may not have much to offer, but he's a total pro, has seen both sides of the NFL evolution process (going from looking like a disinterested potential bust to one of the most respected veterans in the game) and long ago realized that there won't be big money for him. He could make sense for the Ravens. Baltimore just lost Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. Having drafted safety Matt Elam, who is talented but could have attitude issues, and with young starting corner Jimmy Smith a character concern in the past as well, a steady, reliable old head like Woodson in a locker room lacking leaders might not be the worst investment the Ravens could make.
    http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php (March 31st entry)

Mixed Grades on Matt Elam

Published March 31, 2013
    By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell
    Another problem for Elam going in the top 32 are some character concerns. Scouts didn't want to go into detail, and they didn't feel they were serious problems, but there were some issues that could knock him down a bit with the more strict front offices.
    From hearing him talk, I didn't pick up any concerns...He's very passionate about the game. Is this about the Bernard Pollard, huge hit type mentality?
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Re: Elam Character Concerns?

Sounds more like LaCanfora is doing a favor for Woodson, or more likely Woodson's agent, and in return Jason keeps getting inside info.

I recall reading somewhere that he was arrested for having alcohol when he was a freshman. And that he instigated a brawl with Georgia outside their locker rooms.

Not sure if a) these are true, or b) anyone cares, or c) there is more than these minor things.

I'm sure there is some reason a lot of sites had him rated as the 5th-7th or so best safety... for example, SI had him at a 5.8 grade, far behind Cyprien, Reid and Vacarro, and even behind his teammate Evans.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...r/#positions/S

Blog Entries

:grbac: If there is any player in the draft the Ravens knew backwards, forwards, up & down, it's Matt Elam. Their history with the Elam family (going back to his brother Abram, whom Pees coached at Kent State) is voluminous.

Sounds like a lotta sour grapes to me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    I'm sure there is some reason a lot of sites had him rated as the 5th-7th or so best safety... for example, SI had him at a 5.8 grade, far behind Cyprien, Reid and Vacarro, and even behind his teammate Evans.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...r/#positions/S
    While the Ravens FO has made mistakes (Kindle...Yikes!), they have created a team that has gone to 5 straight playoffs, the last two AFCCG's, and have a Super bowl trophy to show for it. I think I'll trust our people before the S.I "experts' on this one too... Bc

@ loba... No sour grapes on my part... I love the pick. That doesn't change the fact that a lot of the various sites had him rated FAR below his projected (and actual) draft position, and I don't know why. I can only assume they know something others don't... or they really don't like short safeties? The SI grade seems to be based on how short he is more than anything else according to their write-up... but it seems harsh to drop him 2.2 points from where they graded Cyprien based on that alone? At least to me...

@ Bc... Again, that was just one example. I saw several other rankings in which he was similarly rated in comparison to the others... don't have time to look for them at the minute.

Here's another thing LaCanfora says in this article, this time about Bryant McKinnie:

LT Bryant McKinnie: McKinnie never has managed to ingratiate himself with the Ravens -- and has been overweight, and erratic at times -- but he has played particularly well in the postseason. In fact, the Ravens don't win the Super Bowl, or maybe even make the playoffs, without him being reinserted at left tackle late in the season. The Ravens continue to talk to him, and frankly, they should give him a few million with some weight clauses and get this done. Baltimore is dabbling with moving guard Kelechi Osemele to left tackle, but that's not his natural fit. Miami and San Diego are also interested, and either could use him

The boldface is mine and as we know McKinnie got inserted at LT for the 1st playoff game vs the Colts so in no way did McKinnie help the Ravens make the playoffs. LaCanfora is talking out his butt.

I stand in my assessment of this article: that LaCanfora is doing a favor for various agents in return for him continuing to get info from said agents. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. In no way is this a newsworthy article or analysis piece.

Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    @ loba... No sour grapes on my part... I love the pick. That doesn't change the fact that a lot of the various sites had him rated FAR below his projected (and actual) draft position, and I don't know why. I can only assume they know something others don't... or they really don't like short safeties? The SI grade seems to be based on how short he is more than anything else according to their write-up... but it seems harsh to drop him 2.2 points from where they graded Cyprien based on that alone? At least to me...

@ Bc... Again, that was just one example. I saw several other rankings in which he was similarly rated in comparison to the others... don't have time to look for them at the minute.
    a LOT of sites had him rated FAR below the first round? Maybe you read more pre-draft coverage than me but thats not how I remember it. I also know for a fact that the Ravens front office, through their myriad of connections with him, knows Matt Elam significantly better as a person than these publications do, and if they decide to rate him a red star player then I would not be too worried about any character concerns

Everything I've heard about Elam suggests his character is an asset. I wouldn't read too much into this, let's just see how mini and training camps go, preseason, etc.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

IMO the "character" to assess is how willing is a player to work hard to learn his craft and hone his skills. Elam has the physical attributes necessary to succeed, the question is will he put in the hard work necessary to succeed. It seemed to me the Ravens focused on "high character" guys in their drafting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    :grbac: If there is any player in the draft the Ravens knew backwards, forwards, up & down, it's Matt Elam. Their history with the Elam family (going back to his brother Abram, whom Pees coached at Kent State) is voluminous.

Sounds like a lotta sour grapes to me.
    You got it. Pees has known Matt Elam for a decade. If there was anything to be worried about he wouldn't have been taken in round 1.