Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Re: Elam Character Concerns?

The Ravens' familiarity with him is the key reason he was chosen over Cyprien.

I don't know who in their right mind would have Elam rated below the top 50, let alone in the hundreds, if they watched tape of the young man.

This sounds like when Mike Preston tried to say that the Ravens would have to be careful of Lee Evans' character issues. You know, the ones that nobody had ever heard of.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Interstingly enough Elam doesn't have an agent right now. Ed Reed didn't have one for much of his career. I wonder if the similiarites stop there.
    I trust the FO did there due diligence on Elam though.
    Ed Reed had an agent for most of his career. He just decided he didn't need one after he signed a long term deal.

This sounds like bullshit much ado about nothing. Elam seems like a quality guy that could potentially end up being the vocal leader of this defense.

Harbs really wanted him. I think that settles the character thing right there.

I don't care who the Ravens get, some idiot is going to say they have character issues. If that moron that started the Tim Tebow thread was right, and Tebow played for the Ravens next season, people would say he has character issues. The only thing the national media liked reporting about the Ravens after the Super Bowl was that they lost 7 starters from that Championship team. Screw them, if these players with character concerns wash out as Ravens players they will be playing with the Browns in the next couple of seasons. Then all of a sudden they get their character back.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Man, did any of those people actually see the Matt Elam press conference? Guy was as quiet and humble as a mouse. I can't believe he has character issues and I definitely can't believe the Ravens would be so high on the kid if he did.

Blog Entries

Whatever the issues were supposed to be, nobody I know ever said or heard anything about them. If anything was out there, surely the Ravens knew and cleared it.

I can't believe they dragged Jimmy Smith into it. That guy had like one minor thing years before he was drafted, and the Ravens cleared him, no problem. Now this. I think ursula may be on to something. No other explanation for some of this nonsense.

Blog Entries

The Jimmy Smith angle is a good point. He's struggled to produce in the NFL, but had ZERO character issues since he was drafted.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

There are scout websites and then their are the Ravens scouts. I would take a Raven's big board over anybodys. If he was the guy for that slot and was over Cyprien, then I trust that they were correct in their choice. DeCosta did note that Cyprien and Elam were probably 1 and 2 in terms of rating at that spot. They both were considered at 32 and you see Cyprien going at 33 anyways.

I haven't seen much on character concerns, but he may have been too strong of a presence for a new coach or a losing team. I'm sure teams would wonder how some players would handle losing especially the teams that are guaranteed a non playoff year (Jacksonville, Raiders, etc)

I have heard nothing about this young man that causes me great concern. If "bad attitude" means hates to lose, takes his team mates to task for lack of effort, or aggressive behaveour on game day, then bring it on. He will be welcomed.

"Bad attitude" is a term that these talking heads throw around very loosly, without giving any specifics. Also, if there were any concerns about this I'm sure our scouts would have flushed this out before drafting him. They don't take this stuff lightly.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis