Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Blog Entries

Re: Eric DeCosta interview

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I was one of Torreys biggest detractors for being a "#1 WR" for the very reason of his catch radius. Hes made leaps and bounds in that are over one off season. While almost everything was caught inside his body his rookie year id say the opposite was true this year and he was able to high point and grabs balls away from his body where only he could get them. It really opened things up for Joe to not have such a tight window.
    Torrey really impressed me this year with how he used his hands to go out and grab balls out of the air. His second TD against Denver in the playoffs is a shining example. His hands have become a big strength for him.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Those numbers for Roddy White are insane. No one was even close to the amount of catches he made. To drop 4 and catch 92 is incredible. That guy is an underrated player.
    I think last year may have been a bit of an anomaly for White. One of the knocks on him has always been that he dropped too many balls. Now maybe he has turned the corner, and I'm not saying I wouldn't love to have a reciever like him for Joe to throw to, but I'd like to see him replicate that this year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I've been saying the Ravens need to address their receivers coaches for a long time and I still feel that way. Hostler seems like a nice guy, but the lack of development in the receiver unit has always been troublesome IMO. I feel like several other teams have gotten more out of late round receivers than the Ravens ever have. It is a strange.
    Here's the thing: As the salary cap works these days, the only way for a team to be a consistent contender is to lock up 8-10 key positions long-term with elite talent paid accordingly, & fill out the roster with cheap draftees & FAs. The non-key need to be trained to hold down ST & contribute on offense or defense NLT the end of their second year, so you get 2+ productive years from them, while drafting their replacements at the start of their 3rd year so that when the current player walks for a bigger payday after year 4, the next guy is read to step up.

Two major implications of this:
    1. Position coaches have to be excellent evaluators of raw talent & teachers of the pro-level game (particularly the ST coach, since most of the incoming class didn't play ST in college); and
    2. The ##3-4-5 receiver slots (& maybe #2 as well) will be part of that 2-year replenishment cycle.

Castillo is here because of his acknowledged expertise in evaluating OL talent & training it up to its potential. Menachino, Clarence Brooks, Wilbert Montgomery etc. are in the same mold, & their units have prospered. Meanwhile the Ravens' home-grown WRs have generally failed to impress. Poor scouting? Poor evaluation of talent? Poor training? Hard to say--but IMHO Hostler (& to some extent the scouts) is on the hot seat this year. If the guys now on the roster don't step up, the team will simply have to look for a WR coach who's better at evaluating talent & training it up. When The Weapon is out of The Ammo you're back to swinging it like a club...

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Castillo is here because of his acknowledged expertise in evaluating OL talent & training it up to its potential. Menachino, Clarence Brooks, Wilbert Montgomery etc. are in the same mold, & their units have prospered. Meanwhile the Ravens' home-grown WRs have generally failed to impress. Poor scouting? Poor evaluation of talent? Poor training? Hard to say--but IMHO Hostler (& to some extent the scouts) is on the hot seat this year. If the guys now on the roster don't step up, the team will simply have to look for a WR coach who's better at evaluating talent & training it up. When The Weapon is out of The Ammo you're back to swinging it like a club...
    Still, you have to see how they perform in the new offense. The old Cam offense had to be frustrating and morale crushing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheSpiderWebb View Post
    Because most of his more memorable catches came when he got behind the defense, I don't remember too many catches on contested balls. One thing I do love about Torrey though is even though he has the occasional drop they usually don't come in clutch situations. I think he had more drops on 1st and 10 in the first quarter than on 3rd and 10 in the 4th quarter when trailing by 6 for example.
    I was one of Torreys biggest detractors for being a "#1 WR" for the very reason of his catch radius. Hes made leaps and bounds in that are over one off season. While almost everything was caught inside his body his rookie year id say the opposite was true this year and he was able to high point and grabs balls away from his body where only he could get them. It really opened things up for Joe to not have such a tight window. whether thats because of torreys own drive to be great or our WRs coach is another debate. I do expect torrey to continue to add to his game. quite happy he proved me wrong in that area.
    I absolutely agree that Torrey is a "clutch" receiver and he has definitely improved from his first year.

I'm not 100% certain that he can, or will, be a #1 receiver, but I do think he is more than capable of having 1,000 yard seasons.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

Blog Entries

I absolutely agree that Torrey is a "clutch" receiver and he has definitely improved from his first year.

I'm not 100% certain that he can, or will, be a #1 receiver, but I do think he is more than capable of having 1,000 yard seasons.
    It sure would be nice to see what he could do when getting more than 50 receptions in a season.

He still doesnt possess the size/strength combo that typically goes with a #1 or prototype WR but imo hes close enough to possibly reach that, where before i thought there was no chance. catch radius is one of the biggest things for a WR. maybe a 1b to route running's 1a.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

He still doesnt possess the size/strength combo that typically goes with a #1 or prototype WR but imo hes close enough to possibly reach that, where before i thought there was no chance. catch radius is one of the biggest things for a WR. maybe a 1b to route running's 1a.
    If Torrey were 2 inches taller, a little thicker and had bigger hands he would be an ideal specimen.

He has a ridiculous 41 inch vertical. That is better than any WR in this years draft class.

Likewise he did 19 reps, which is pretty damn good for a WR.

Speaking of DeCosta and Torrey
    The Ravens don’t have the most sterling draft record at wide receiver.

They struck gold two years ago, however, when they snagged Torrey Smith in the second round.

The Ravens took lessons from that experience, and may put them to use in this year’s draft as wide receiver is one of the team’s needs with the departure of Anquan Boldin.

“I think what we learned is really if you’re drafting a receiver, draft a receiver who is tough, competitive and has a tremendous work ethic,” Assistant General Manager Eric DeCosta told BaltimoreRavens.com.

“Torrey Smith, in my mind, what makes him special is his personality, his makeup, his work ethic, his demeanor, his drive.”

DeCosta said that evaluators are often seduced by a wide receiver’s 40-yard dash time, vertical jump or highlight-reel catches in college. They put a lot of stock in their pre-draft workouts because they are skill players, in which speed and athleticism stand out.

“All of that is really important, but I think personality at that position is critical too,” DeCosta said. “I think we learned that with Torrey because he is such a special person and he does have such a great work ethic and drive and all that. He’s made himself into a fine player.”

It’s not the case in Baltimore, but wide receivers have a reputation as being the divas on a roster, needy of attention and particularly the ball. That can lead to problems.

Wide receiver is also one of the most difficult positions to transition at the NFL level. Suddenly, a player that was accustomed to running by cornerbacks or easily getting open in college is faced with a much more difficult challenge in the pros. The technique needed at the position dramatically escalates.

Thus, a player like Smith who is dedicated to honing his craft and who can bounce back from difficult stretches is crucial. Smith went through it in his rookie season, but finished with 50 catches for 841 yards and seven touchdowns in 2011. He had 49 grabs for 855 yards and eight scores last year.

The Ravens have drafted six wide receivers in the first three rounds in team history. They are Patrick Johnson (1998, 2nd round), Travis Taylor (2000, 1st round), Devard Darling (2004, 3rd round), Mark Clayton (2005, 1st round), Yamon Figurs (2007, 3rd round) and Smith.
    http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...e-aa824a1306a5

Blog Entries

Did he mention anything about the Olineman drafted and the C position? If a straight shooter looks like Leach will be on the team at least until midway through TC.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Where's he going to line up? OLB? DE? We are pretty well stacked up across the board at those spots. I could see us carrying extra players at those positions than previous years, but we're still going to lose some guys along the way.

Assume Lewis-Moore goes to PUP/IR and isn't a factor. You still have:

NT
    Ngata
    B. Williams
    Tyson
    Hall
    Cody

DE
    Canty
    A. Jones
    Spears
    McPhee (moved to OLB?)

OLB
    Suggs
    Dumervil
    Upshaw
    Simon
    Hamilton
    McAdoo

I have to imagine that Ngata, Williams, Canty, Jones, Spears, McPhee, Suggs, Dumervil, Upshaw, and Simon are locks, barring injury. That's ten slots out of what, maybe 12-13? I'm figuring Cody is done here, but I could be wrong on that, as it seems that he and Tyson and Hall are all fighting for the same roster spot. So anyone who wants to hang on as DE5 or OLB5 is going to have to beat out Hamilton and McAdoo and justify getting a roster spot through ST play.
    I believe that Hall got moved to ILB and McPhee to OLB, so that removes two out of that equation. Still, this is going to be one the most epic of all preseasons and I will be absolutely glued. The final preseason game could possibly be ridiculous with players going all out on the last couple spots on the team.

I'm interested in who will be the "mysterious" IR'd player this year. Remember Streeter and McAdoo got that in previous years.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    I'm interested in who will be the "mysterious" IR'd player this year.
    Roger Gaines will have knee surgery towards the end of training camp.

Blog Entries

You mean a mysterious knee surgery-lol.
    He's definitely a project like Streeter was or still is.

As far as Torrey, he won the Sb for us because he required top coverage from their
    top corner and safety because of his speed. Then they had to respect Jacoby's speed too.

That left the middle wide open for Pitta's TD and other catches plus it put Boldin
    in single coverage a lot for his heroics.

No Torrey, no Lombardi.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    I listened to the interview as well. Decosta appears to be a straight shooter, although he wouldn't confirm or deny that our starting LT is on the roster. I like how he outlined what their thought process was during the draft as things started to unfold (what the hell was Dallas thinking), which partially dictated how we picked.
    Michael Irving went nuts on TV when Jerry passed on Elam. ILMAO