Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Did anyone else see this? "Seahawks new draft pick arrested the night of the draft" (Abusive police?)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ing-to-arrest/

"It’s my fault. I shouldn’t have been parked on the side of the road but I was just chilling in the house at my grandmother’s house and my car was parked on the side of the road by my grandmother’s house. I seen a car pull up and it looked like a cop car so I went out there and when I went out there he told me to move the car,” Simon said.

“I moved the car and when I turned the car on the music was up, so when I pulled up in the driveway he told me to give him my license. I gave him my license and then I just sat on the car while he was running my license through and he had called another cop to bring him a ticket book I guess so he could write me a ticket. One of my friends had come to congratulate me on the draft that was going on and he told my friend to move around.

“Then I had got off the car and was like ‘man, you’re tripping for nothing. There’s really nothing serious going on around here’ and he said my pants was low and he was like ‘pick your pants up before I take you to jail.’ So I picked my pants up and he said, ‘you know what, matter of fact put your hands behind your back’ so I put my hands behind my back and I had my girl’s car keys and I was trying to throw my girl’s car keys to my cousin so I kind of jerked my arm and he said I was resisting arrest.

“I never ran. I never flinched to move or nothing and he said I was resisting arrest. So he took me to jail or whatever and said I threatened his life or whatever. I told him I had 30 witnesses that know I didn’t do nothing wrong and that I didn’t say nothing wrong. I’m a humble guy. I’m embarrassed about what happened because it shouldn’t have happened. Like I said, everything happens for a reason. Right now my focus is just to get up to Seattle and go compete and play some football.”
    If true...wow.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: Did anyone else see this? "Seahawks new draft pick arrested the night of the draft" (Abusive police?)

Yea it was the Thursday night, It was made public on Friday, they even talked about it on nfln when they had les miles on, Seattle knew before drafting him.

Was common knowledge by that point

Blog Entries

Re: Did anyone else see this? "Seahawks new draft pick arrested the night of the draft" (Abusive police?)

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    If true...wow.
    I think it would be wrong to think prejudice doesnt still exist. Even a repeat offender like Rolando it still leaves some doubts because of that, imo.

A lot of my friends are cops, and some of the guys they work with are just out of their mind. Some people gravitate to that field simply for the power trip that comes with it and whether theyre racist, sexist, or any other character flaw its just amplified. Its sad, and i wouldnt say theyre the majority by any means, but it shouldnt exist at all.
    -JAB

Two sides to every story folks. From your link:

"According to Brett Martel of the Associated Press, police say Simon told the officer “I own Eunice” and peeled his tires moving a car from in front of his grandparents house. The officer also claims Simon told him he could get him fired because “the mayor is on my side” and violently jerked his arm away when the officer attempted to arrest him for intimidation."

I love how everyone wants to always believe the guy who got arrested. 1) It seems his car was illegally parked 2) according to the officer, he peeled his tires and got mouthy. Now, it's certainly not a felony, it's a minor misdemeanor. But those are arrestable, and quite frankly, if someone gets mouthy or shows their ass, that's an easy way to get a night in jail. Sometimes good people do dumb things and get in trouble. Could the officer, have exercised some discretion? Sure, possibly. But I'm not going to second guess him for arresting someone that gives him a lot of attitude and gets locked up rather than cited.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    Two sides to every story folks. From your link:

"According to Brett Martel of the Associated Press, police say Simon told the officer “I own Eunice” and peeled his tires moving a car from in front of his grandparents house. The officer also claims Simon told him he could get him fired because “the mayor is on my side” and violently jerked his arm away when the officer attempted to arrest him for intimidation."

I love how everyone wants to always believe the guy who got arrested. 1) It seems his car was illegally parked 2) according to the officer, he peeled his tires and got mouthy. Now, it's certainly not a felony, it's a minor misdemeanor. But those are arrestable, and quite frankly, if someone gets mouthy or shows their ass, that's an easy way to get a night in jail. Sometimes good people do dumb things and get in trouble. Could the officer, have exercised some discretion? Sure, possibly. But I'm not going to second guess him for arresting someone that gives him a lot of attitude and gets locked up rather than cited.
    There are definitely two sides to every story.

And then there is the truth.

Simon probably did get mouthy. He was probably feeling high and mighty for being a potential draft pick in the NFL.

What bothers me is this could end up being a reason for football players, who deserve it, to claim that cops are purposely targeting them. It kind of undermines all of the good police work that is done.

It's not just football players. Talk to ppl from all aspects of life, all races and creeds, and a lot of them who get locked up claim police misconduct or that they were unfairly arrested. In my experience, if you don't give a police officer a reason to arrest you, then you don't get arrested. Give them a reason, and more often than not, you get a complimentary night in the Hotel Lockup.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

It's not just football players. Talk to ppl from all aspects of life, all races and creeds, and a lot of them who get locked up claim police misconduct or that they were unfairly arrested. In my experience, if you don't give a police officer a reason to arrest you, then you don't get arrested. Give them a reason, and more often than not, you get a complimentary night in the Hotel Lockup.
    This is true.

And I'm certainly not arguing that.

However, there are cops out there who are abusive. Anyone can go on YouTube and see hundreds of videos of cops that are just way over the top on a lot of things.

You would think that if you were a professional athlete then you would have an even larger target on your back. So, even simple things (like what this appears to be) could be amplified by quite a lot.

I love how everyone wants to always believe the guy who got arrested.
    And I love how everybody exaggerates all the time. ;)

In my experience, if you don't give a police officer a reason to arrest you, then you don't get arrested.
    In my experience, there are loose cannons/idiots in every profession, including those who wear badges.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    In my experience, there are loose cannons/idiots in every profession, including those who wear badges.
    Exactly. A police officer is a position of authority/power...and just like any of the others, it is subject to abuse.

Going to go ahead and move this one, since it's more about a social issue than a football one ....

Carry on ....

Blog Entries

In my experience, if you don't give a police officer a reason to arrest you, then you don't get arrested. Give them a reason, and more often than not, you get a complimentary night in the Hotel Lockup.
    I've never had a bad experience with a police officer. Then again, I'm white, over 30, dress fairly conservatively, & don't run the car stereo at levels that break glass 20 yards away.

I'm guessing this also comes close to describing you.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Some people gravitate to that field simply for the power trip that comes with it and whether they're racist, sexist, or any other character flaw its just amplified. Its sad, and i wouldn't say they're the majority by any means, but it shouldn't exist at all.
    FWIW I think all police departments are well aware of this & do their best to screen out the power trippers. It's the few bad apples that get through--& the few who get soured by their jobs or lives or whatever--that cause problems not just for the citizenry but for their fellow officers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Exactly. A police officer is a position of authority/power...and just like any of the others, it is subject to abuse.
    If you accept the reality that cops are human beings and subject to all of the weaknesses, indiscretions, etc. of human beings... you need to take it all the way.

Prejudice and discrimination are human characteristics, but so is laziness. Making an arrest on probable cause means time, effort, and worst of all, PAPERWORK. It will be scrutinized and a bad collar will make you look bad. This notion that somehow cops are constantly covering for each others' indiscretions isn't always true, either. Sometimes (especially when the stakes are high) it is, but PD managers are like managers everywhere else and will gladly throw their subordinates under the bus if they make mistakes.

Trust me, it IS a possibility that this cop just had it out for Simon and arrested him because he was racist, abusive, etc... but who has more incentive to lie? A cop who's just doing his job, or the guy who just got arrested?