Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Landover "Redtails"?

I qualify as an Indian. Both grandfathers were half, one grandmother was 3/4. I don't think the 'Skins should change their name.

Personally I think this is a stupid argument that shows up once a decade and nothing ever comes of it.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Chief Robert "Two Eagles" Green is on Sirius XM right now. He's the Chief of the Patawomek tribe.

His argument is the same I've been making and that of the Smithsonian linguist to which I linked.

It's a historically honorable word and its use of a pejorative is a recent phenomenon started by folks who assumed it was a word that associated skin color.

He says the "overwhelming" majority of his tribe understands the history of the word and have no issue with it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    I think Rookie is actually on the culturally sensitive side of this. Probably just wrote the first word that came to mind, but for the sake of argument let's imagine s/he said "spooks" or something. The Harlem Spooks. Now there's a team!

Can't prove they don't mean "spooks" as in "ghosts"! It's a term that HONORS ghosts!
    Or spooks can also be a term applied to spies.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I was wondering why no study has even been done on this.

As it turns out, there has been ....

http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycent...s_09-24_pr.pdf

It's a sample survey. 4,000 Native Americans, from differing tribes and from across the country, were asked if they found the term "Redskin" to be offensive. 91% of those polled did not find the term offensive.

Granted, this study is from 10 years ago so maybe opinions have changed since then. I doubt it, considering the topic of conversation on Sirius XM is all about this and the overwhelming majority of the folks calling in don't see this as an offensive term.

The term "Tempest in a Tea Pot" is now coming to mind.

Blog Entries

I think the real problem here is that Dan Snyder is offensive.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think the real problem here is that Dan Snyder is offensive.
    :D

90% of Native Americans do not find the word "Redskins" offensive.

Per an AP article ....

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/...ins-is-a-slur/

Sports teams do not pick their mascots/names to denigrate anyone, quite the contrary, they are picked because they have characteristics that are admirable, especially for athletes (strength, courage, fierceness, etc.).

This was the case when the names were chosen and is the case now.

The faux outrage is a symptom of a much bigger problem in today's society, a problem that is getting worse and worse.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Not according to native Americans. They're the ones who have been trying to change the
    name for years.
    This is incorrect, near 90% (and more in some polls) of Native Americans do not care about the name and do not care if it is changed.

Stating the whole group would be a bit out of line if a majority of them actually felt the way you claim, but in fact a VERY LARGE MAJORITY feel differently than you claim.

Your statement would be correct it is was this: Not according to a very small percentage of native Americans. They're the ones who have been trying to change the name for years.

Blog Entries

Um that 90% quote is a bit skewed and reminds me of those phony Kerry exit polls that only polled DEM voters and female Dem voters and specifically Hispanic female Dem voters that voted for him. Only certain native nations were polled.

It hardly polled all the tribes in the country and just quotes a spokesman
    from the Navajo nation. He doesn't speak for the Oneida Indians in the eastern US and they filed the complaint nor does he speak for natives in Alaska which are numerous and never even polled.

And Goodell also said he's meeting with them and if one person is offended the NFL has to listen.

And Greg, not according to this representative of the ONeida Nation. He calls OBYs involvement a breakthru in the matter and he's a Native American.

I never gave the %. Just said it was Native Americans trying to change it.
    The title in the link below says the same thing but carry on.

Here's the history of the proud Oneida Nation which
    saved Washington's army at Valley Forge bringing
    corn to the troops and showing them how to prepare
    it.

http://www.oneidacountyhistory.org/O...dianNation.asp

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-redskins-name
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 10-09-2013 at 08:42 AM.

Blog Entries

As for that 90% poll, people should discount any poll that is so simplistic. As
    Rasmussen always says, it's the wording of the polls that lead to what the pollster
    wants. Context is everything.

More reasons why the 90% poll could be skewed.

http://newspaperrock.bluecorncomics....are-bogus.html
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 10-09-2013 at 08:38 AM.