Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: This Board Did a Great Job Preparing for the NFL Draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Cj34 View Post
    I was listening to the radio yesterday afternoon and they had Charles Davis (from NFL Network) as a guest. They asked him about the Ravens draft and he then proceeded to tell us about how Brandon Williams will be good on the right side of the offensive line. That proves to me that several on here could be on NFL Network, let alone the local radio show. :respect
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Maybe he mistook him for Brennan Williams, the OT out of North Carolina?

Still though...what a "D'oh!" moment...
    I don't think it was a mistake. Reports have been kicking around speculating that he could be considered a candidate for converting to an offensive lineman. I don't think the Ravens have ever considered it, or at least have not mentioned it, but the reports are out there. Mel Kiper mentioned it as soon as the Ravens drafted him. Here's a report from Gil Brandt a couple months ago.

Williams (6-foot-1, 335 pounds) might not have the ideal height to be a defensive tackle in the NFL, but I think he's got the athletic ability to make an impact as an offensive lineman. He played as a true freshman at Missouri Southern State, which tells you something, and he was the Division II defensive player of the year in 2012. He's very strong and is an excellent overall football player. When I worked for the Dallas Cowboys, we successfully converted a lot of guys (like Pat Donovan, who went to four Pro Bowls after we switched him from defensive end to left tackle) who shared the same traits from the defensive to the offensive line. One AFC team did, in fact, work Williams out as an offensive lineman.
    So Davis' comments didn't come out of no where.

If you haven't seen it, here's a thorough write up on him here, picked up in the LA Times/Tribune papers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I don't think it was a mistake. Reports have been kicking around speculating that he could be considered a candidate for converting to an offensive lineman. I don't think the Ravens have ever considered it, or at least have not mentioned it, but the reports are out there. Mel Kiper mentioned it as soon as the Ravens drafted him. Here's a report from Gil Brandt a couple months ago.

If you haven't seen it, here's a thorough write up on him here, picked up in the LA Times/Tribune papers.
    I think it was Cleveland that worked him out as a guard.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    didnt invite the sister in law?????
    Offered her 50 bucks to scram, but she insisted on $100. I conceded just to have a good night. AND a good night it was. Even though we picked last, the info I garnered from this board was golden. I thank all of you because I learned a lot from your posts... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post

I don't disagree with what you're saying Shas but you and I both know that's not what the Ravens drafted him for.

I also don't think his height is that big of an issue on the defensive line. As athletic as he is and having a vertical leap of almost 30" he should be fine at the nose. His obvious fit is at NT but I think he could even play 5 tech on early/running downs if the Ravens were deeper on their interior DL. I doubt he'll get that chance early in his career considering he's the best fit inside and especially if the Ravens want to line up Ngata at DE.

On a sidenote - is Ryan McBean still under contract? I've looked all over but I can't find anywhere if his deal last yr was only one year, did the Ravens do an injury settlement or is he still under contract?
    Last edited by Cj34; 05-01-2013 at 10:41 AM.

Blog Entries

Kelly Gregg was listed at 6' flat. Vince Wilfork is 6'2". Casey Hampton 6'1".

Williams has the ideal size for a 3-4 NT.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Kelly Gregg was listed at 6' flat. Vince Wilfork is 6'2". Casey Hampton 6'1".

Williams has the ideal size for a 3-4 NT.
    There are definitely some comparisons to be made for his size...

But, IMO, it is his quick feet that could turn him into an elite NT. Wilfork is fat as shit, but that dude's feet are stupid quick. Williams has quick feet like that.

Yeah I am very happy to have found this site. Lots of great insight from a ton of posters; very informative and thoughtful too. There's so much less of the screaming that you see on so many other boards!

Blog Entries

Sorry guys.

I must have missed that FB thread-lol.

Tony's crew also had some good draft articles besides the threads.

Blog Entries

There are definitely some comparisons to be made for his size...

But, IMO, it is his quick feet that could turn him into an elite NT. Wilfork is fat as shit, but that dude's feet are stupid quick. Williams has quick feet like that.
    I agree. I can't wait to see him in camp.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Yeah I am very happy to have found this site. Lots of great insight from a ton of posters; very informative and thoughtful too. There's so much less of the screaming that you see on so many other boards!
    Just wait until the season starts and the Ravens lose a game. :D

Blog Entries

Wink Re: This Board Did a Great Job Preparing for the NFL Draft.

Just wait until the season starts and the Ravens lose a game. :D
    wicked, that won't happen until late October, or maybe November ;) ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Cj34 View Post
    I don't disagree with what you're saying Shas but you and I both know that's not what the Ravens drafted him for.

I also don't think his height is that big of an issue on the defensive line. As athletic as he is and having a vertical leap of almost 30" he should be fine at the nose. His obvious fit is at NT but I think he could even play 5 tech on early/running downs if the Ravens were deeper on their interior DL. I doubt he'll get that chance early in his career considering he's the best fit inside and especially if the Ravens want to line up Ngata at DE.

On a sidenote - is Ryan McBean still under contract? I've looked all over but I can't find anywhere if his deal last yr was only one year, did the Ravens do an injury settlement or is he still under contract?
    Oh, I agree. I wasn't implying that Davis was right when he talked about the Ravens moving him to O Line. I'm just saying that he didn't have the wrong player completely; there was a reason he looked at the write up on the guy and made an assumption that we all know is wrong. Everyone knew the Ravens had OL on their shopping list but not many expected a NT to be taken. I talked before the draft about it being a priority so they can move Ngata further down the line where his athleticism works better and so they can extend his career.

McBean was only on a one-year contract with the Ravens and ended up on the IR almost right away with a broken ankle. I'm sure he must have gotten an injury settlement. Recall he ended up here after the Broncos pulled his unsigned RFA tender due to an NFL suspension for taking PEDs -- they signed former Bronco and Raven Justin Bannan instead. McBean sued the Broncos and the league, and then dropped the suit against the team when the Ravens came knocking. The NFL reduced hissuspension from six to three games -- I don't recall what happened with his lawsuit there.