Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Our 53 if the season started today (projected)

Quote Originally Posted by CodyPKA View Post
    that was my question as well. I don't think he is eligible
    I'm not sure of service time requirements, but the general rule is that you have to be in your 3rd or less year in the league. This is LaQuan's 3rd NFL season. He was inactive or IRed for almost all of last year, so he may still meet the requirements. I'm far from sure on this one.

Fun to ponder. Mostly I agree with this as a first look, before we hear anything from OTAs and camp.

I'm not sure why you see Simon as a tweener. I think he's a solid candidate to be on the 53 and easily take a spot from one of those noted below.

Also, don't sell short special teams contributors (LaQuann, Levine, Cook for instance--probably at least one or two UDFA's, too) who probably have a better chance at sticking than the deep-depth dudes who don't contribute on special teams.

For that reason I suspect there may be some legit position battles with some weeding out to do still (and with preference given to special teams contributors and players who can fill multiple roles) when decisions are made on these players/positions...

WR/RB: D Reed, T Streeter, A Mellette, T Gurley, R Toma, R Holley, D Berry, A Allen,
    DL: B Hall, D Tyson, T Cody
    LB: J Bynes, A McClellan, M McAdoo, R McClain, N Carr, A Hamilton, J McClain, DJ Bryant
    OL R Harewood, R Jensen, J. Cornell, A McClain, R Stephens, J Reid
    DB: A Jackson, M Anthony, C Johnson

They also may need to look at the combination of tight ends and fullbacks. You only included two on the list and Billy Bajema, the former third, is gone.

Ozzie said the only "miss" on their wish list was not being in a position to draft a TE. I think he knows Pitta is going to get paid and Dickson would need to really step it up to force them to keep him too beyond this year. My sense is they wanted to bring in his eventual, cheaper replacement this year as the third TE. Maybe Furstenburg becomes that guy. Or maybe he stays on the practice squad and they let Juice fill the H-Back concept as a quasi third TE (while keeping Leach as the pure FB one more year). Or maybe Leach is cut.

I think there are a ton of tough decisions ahead for the back end of the roster as they sort out who they need to retain because of future upside and special teams value.

Simon will be on the 53. This guy is a machine a workout warrior, he will flourish in weight room, practice and training camp, they won't have an excuse not to have him on the team. Harbs will fall in love with he's work ethic and will not be ir'd. Almost certain of it.

Blog Entries

How do you leave John Simon out? Also Dumervile can't play DE in our scheme, he's too small. Apart from that I agree with pretty much everything, but I hope we don't have to go in with Jah Reid at LG again....

Trade for Eugene Monroe. 2014 2nd and 2015 3rd cut leach and give him a long term deal. Deal similar to jake long except 6 years, something between 40 and 50 mil.

I think you can add meshak Williams to the 53

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Trade for Eugene Monroe. 2014 2nd and 2015 3rd cut leach and give him a long term deal. Deal similar to jake long except 6 years, something between 40 and 50 mil.
    Monroe is a solid LT, although he probably hasn't been the dominant player he was expected to be when drafted. I still think I'd be on board with this. If the Ravens are as good in 2013 as I hope them to be, we won't be drafting anywhere close enough to get a rookie LT. Our roster is so loaded with young talent that giving up a 2nd rounder in 2014 wouldn't be that damaging.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    I think you can add meshak Williams to the 53
    I think he's an intriguing prospect. Is it safe to say that Williams, Simon, McAdoo, and Hamilton will be competing for one or two spots?

I would be shocked if McAdoo makes the 53. I think it'd take an injury or two amongst the other candidates for that to happen. Hamiliton probably has a better shot, particularly if he is seen by the coaches as a decent ST contributor.

Also, didn't the coaches say Bryan Hall would be asked to switch to ILB? We're really stacked along the DL right now and I don't see a spot for Hall unless he shows them some potential at ILB.

McAdoo and Hamilton are interesting....

Hard to imagine Hamilton not making the team and contributing on defense besides special teams as he already did that last year. Clearly the team is high on him and trying to stash him on the practice squad, well, he'd get picked up by another team.

McAdoo is the great unknown for all of us.