Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Last years draft just keeps on getting worse for the Steelers.

I would like to say that I hope Sean Spence makes a full recovery and one day puts the black and yellow on and dukes it out with the Ravens, despite how I feel about that team, but it seems unlikely now. Last year the Steelers spent a third round pick on a very promising LB out of Miami who could have been a very good complimentary player to Lawrence Timmons in the middle, but that is unlikely to happen now according to this article. http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...fore-it-begins

Seems like a very serious injury, much more serious than I originally thought, I remember reading about it last year and didn't read the details enough and just thought it was a one year IR type thing and expected him to be back this year. Its always terrible to see this kind of thing happen to these guys, and Sean Spence was somebody I liked in the draft last year, and kind of hoped the Ravens would take a look at him.

This could be the third player from that class already declared a huge bust. The big nose tackle that they took in the 4th round last year is on the PS already, I believe he was supposed to be Casey Hamptons replacement, but he will likely never see the field after his random GTA style rampage. Chris Rainy is going to jail IIRC, and was cut last season. David Decastro spent most of last season on IR, and didn't look good by the time he got back, while Mike Adams was very hot and cold at RT. I think Decastro could still go on and become a very good guard in the NFL, but I still think he was highly overrated.

Let this be an example of how you can never really instantly judge a draft just because it looked good on paper, and that the team managed to get a bunch of guys the media were in love with. I remember after the draft, the media hyped the Steelers class up as if they just drafted a bunch of future HOFers ready to re ignite the steel curtain, but that looks unlikely now. I actually think this past draft that they've had will turn out to be much better.

Blog Entries

Re: Last years draft just keeps on getting worse for the Steelers.

This part of the reason why they have recently struggled. They tried to hold onto the older guys too long and when they finally looked to the younger guys, most of them did not step up/were not available, leaving them to rely more on the older guys.

The mystique is fading before our very eyes. They went from winning the division, to finishing second in the division, to finishing third in the division.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

They haven't had a good draft in years.

That's why they've been holding onto their old guys for so long.

That is a big time bummer about Spence though.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I didn't think that ACL injury was that severe.

That sucks and I hate to see any player have to go through that...even Steelers.

I thought he was a good player.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

This goes to show you how immediate draft grades are really irrelevant. Directly after last years draft, a lot of national media pundits considered the Steelers draft one of the best. I know most around here envied the Steeler draft.

Now look at it. DeCastro has hardly played and their 3rd rounder might be totally done.

You can never tell what is going to happen in the draft.

Their 2008 draft was even worse...Mendenhall (soft, oft-injured, dancing/spinning instead of hitting the holes), Limas Sweed (out of the NFL), Ryan Mundy (medicore at best), etc.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/03...ft-class-2008/

Just horrible since then too, except Wallace, Sanders, Brown, Keenan Lewis. Ziggy Hood SUCKS, Cam Heyward is just OK.

What happened to Kevin Colbert?

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    They haven't had a good draft in years.
    Yup, this is very true, and any team that drafts this poorly, it eventually catches up with them. The Steelers used to be a good drafting team, for a long time, but they have not fared well in some time.

Blog Entries

Which was worse, the Steelers 2012 draft or the Ravens 2010 draft?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    personally i think its still too early to be saying anything about 2012. We know 2010 was not one of the better drafts in our history. that being said, It appears were about even, with maybe a slight edge to us. While sergio is comparable to Spence in being a wasted pick. Decastro really hasnt proven himself to be that great and either has Adams. Dickson Harewood and Cody arent starters but decent depth guys. Pitta and Jones are starting caliber players in this league and excelling in doing such, where Adams and Decastro (granted small sample) look merely average. the Edge may be given to us simply because of David Reeds STs play. When hes been healthy hes been a league leader at KRs and a darn good gunner. Pitt doesnt seem to be getting much of anything from anybody after Adams.

id say the tally is 2 starters, 3 depth, 1 ST vs 2 starters. Even our players that havent panned out as expected are still giving us some production/value which is where Pitts draft looks worse.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Easily the Ravens draft.
    Pitta
    Dickson
    Arthur Jones- very solid coming into his own and emerging.
    Cody- suspect wave guy- could emerge...not dead yet, but hope fading.
    Reed- good gunner still has a chance
    Harewood- backup G for late round pick

Decastro? Unsure injuries.
    Adams? Unsure injuries, and wasnt good anyway.
    Spence- likely career over
    Rainey-gone
    Ta'amu- ? hasnt played, legal troubles.
    Beachum- did well in limited action (best of the lot so far)

Blog Entries
    In San Fran, just passed a sleeping homeless guy laying on the sidewalk in Steeler gear. I wanted to take a pic but I just couldn't do it... Wish him better days and a better team

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Someone I work with is a big Steeler fan and was going on and on about the great draft they had and how the Ravens' draft sucked in comparison; how the Ravens gave away all their players and didn't fill their holes and how much he can't wait until the Steelers play the Ravens this coming season. I just sat there and smiled on the inside, thinking how shocked he is going to be.