View Poll Results: Who will be the Ravens' starting LT week one?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bryant McKinnie

17 34.00%
  • Michael Oher

5 10.00%
  • Kelechi Osemele

19 38.00%
  • Ramone Harewood

0 0%
  • Ricky Wagner

0 0%
  • Brandon Albert

0 0%
  • Someone Else

9 18.00%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Who will be the Ravens' starting LT week one?

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    OR perhaps KO moves out to LT, and Wagner is our LG ? ... Bc
    Also a possibility.

Maybe Jack Cornell is really the legit player that the Ravens coaching staff seem to think he is?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    you are correct. He may be our best option to play LT, but he feels he is a G in this league. Much like Oher winning the position by default for so many years, he may not have that choice if a better option isnt added.
    He knows he isn't a LT in this league.

We'll see how long this experiment lasts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I don't understand how they insist on putting KO at LT after he himself said he's not a tackle. He has all-pro potential at guard, but they want to move him anyway. I hope this is just a smokescreen.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    I don't understand how they insist on putting KO at LT after he himself said he's not a tackle. He has all-pro potential at guard, but they want to move him anyway. I hope this is just a smokescreen.
    I am not sure it is a smokescreen, but I also am not sure anyone should be optimistic about the results of KO at LT. Sure he is a big young guy with long arms, but he didn't really fare any better than Oher (maybe worse) at RT in his rookie season.

I voted Oher, despite the fact that the team appears to be looking for something better. If not Oher, then I would guess McKinnie assuming he gets/stays in shape (otherwise maybe a repeat of last year where McKinnie rides bench until crunchtime).

I definitely agree with wicked that surrounding Gino with a great guard on either side is very appealing, so hopefully KO stays at LG or we find someone better than last year's Jah Reid/Bobby Williams rotation at the spot if KO plays tackle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    I am not sure it is a smokescreen, but I also am not sure anyone should be optimistic about the results of KO at LT. Sure he is a big young guy with long arms, but he didn't really fare any better than Oher (maybe worse) at RT in his rookie season.

I voted Oher, despite the fact that the team appears to be looking for something better. If not Oher, then I would guess McKinnie assuming he gets/stays in shape (otherwise maybe a repeat of last year where McKinnie rides bench until crunchtime).

I definitely agree with wicked that surrounding Gino with a great guard on either side is very appealing, so hopefully KO stays at LG or we find someone better than last year's Jah Reid/Bobby Williams rotation at the spot if KO plays tackle.
    It would seem the simpler solution to have KO and Yanda at guard, Oher at RT and to be determined at LT. That would leave one (maybe two) potential weak spots on the line (LT and C), versus 3 (LT, LG, C).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    He knows he isn't a LT in this league.

We'll see how long this experiment lasts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I dont like that hes lacking confidence in his ability. I think he can, whether thats true or not is closely linked with his feeling that he can. Hopefully if we got with him, coaches instill some confidence in him at Camp.
    -JAB

I ended up voting for Osemele. I think they are going to give him a shot. I just don't see them making a big move in free agency or bringing McKinney back. They obviously aren't interested in McKinney beyond anything other than a one year stop gap, and if it comes down to that--which is still a gamble since he hasn't performed at a top level of 16 games in quite a while-- then I get the impression they'd just as soon experiment with Osemele at LT this year. If he works out then he's a huge win for them since they'll have lots of options at guard, including some late cuts.

While Bobbie Williams wasn't a great answer last year, I wouldn't be adverse to making that same sort of move, or giving the LG job to a younger player. I'm the only one left on the planet who still sees something in Ramone Harewood, but I'd like to see him get a shot at LG if Osemele is the LT. I like Harewood a bit more than Reid for LG.

Anyone remember when the Ravens tried moving Edwin Mulitalo to right tackle? It reminds me of the Osemele situation. Edwin played left tackle at Arizona, but was thought not to have the feet to play the position in the NFL. So he slipped to the fourth round of the 1999 draft and the Ravens turned him into a solid NFL guard for his first three seasons. In 2002 they were struggling to fill the RT position. The year before Leon Searcy had been signed but blew out his triceps. Then in 2002 they thought they had Marcus Spears signed to play RT but he backed out. That's when they tried moving Edwin there, but he flopped and they ended up playing, gulp, Ethan Brooks there.

Seems like Osemele all over again. A college LT who played like a stud for the Ravens at LG and now they are nearly forced to try him at tackle. I hope history doesn't repeat itself all the way through.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    It would seem the simpler solution to have KO and Yanda at guard, Oher at RT and to be determined at LT. That would leave one (maybe two) potential weak spots on the line (LT and C), versus 3 (LT, LG, C).
    I agree completely.KO was beaten by edge rushers numerous times at RT last season and it's baffling why anyone would think that he would fare any better at LT.He appears to have the potential to become a dominant OG and they should just leave him alone there and see how he develops.Just as they should have left Oher at RT all along.If anything the constant movement with Oher has caused him to regress from the player that we saw in his rookie season and hopefully they avoid making the same mistake with KO.Since the jury is still out on Gino they basically have 3 solid linemen and just shuffling them around isn't going to create a fourth.Filling one hole by digging one right next to it isn't really solving their problem. It's just shifting it to another spot along the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post

WRT to pass blocking, KO didn't perform all that bad in 2012.
    http://russellstreetreport.com/forum...208#post625208

However, folks have this idea that KO (once shifted to LG) became a demon in the playoffs. Nope. WRT run blocking according to PFF.com, two of his worst three games came in the playoffs. Ironically, his best run blocking game was the SB. He was a demon that game, no doubt.

About Oher...his worse deficiency is also his run blocking. It was atrocious in 2012...way worst than his pass blocking. According to PFF.com 3 of his worst 4 run blocking games were in the playoffs. LT, RT, regular season, playoffs...Oher is a productivity hindrance where ever he lines up. His outstanding rookie year, for whatever reason, was a statistical anomaly. Plain and simple.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TDL1000 View Post
    I agree completely.KO was beaten by edge rushers numerous times at RT last season and it's baffling why anyone would think that he would fare any better at LT.He appears to have the potential to become a dominant OG and they should just leave him alone there and see how he develops.Just as they should have left Oher at RT all along.If anything the constant movement with Oher has caused him to regress from the player that we saw in his rookie season and hopefully they avoid making the same mistake with KO.Since the jury is still out on Gino they basically have 3 solid linemen and just shuffling them around isn't going to create a fourth.Filling one hole by digging one right next to it isn't really solving their problem. It's just shifting it to another spot along the line.
    Not saying you're wrong, but according to your post the Ravens Oline would be :
    ? - KO - GG - Yanda - Oher. Please tell us who would man LT? ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by TDL1000 View Post
    I agree completely.KO was beaten by edge rushers numerous times at RT last season and it's baffling why anyone would think that he would fare any better at LT.
    I suppose the counter argument would be the one beat writer Jeff Zrebieck put out there last week...

Osemele admitted that he had a "shaky" start to his rookie year but he got more comfortable as the season wore on. Playing right tackle, he allowed seven sacks in his first 11 games but none in his final nine, according to Pro Football Focus.
    Of course that sort of glosses over the fact that of the final nine, only five were at RT and four at LG. Still, it does remind us that the guy was a rookie and he did improve even at the tackle spot.

My preference would be to leave him at guard, let him dominate there, and put a good left tackle next to him. But I don't know that there is a good LT at their disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Not saying you're wrong, but according to your post the Ravens Oline would be :
    ? - KO - GG - Yanda - Oher. Please tell us who would man LT? ... Bc
    Unless they could acquire someone like a Branden Albert without sacrificing an arm and a leg my vote would be for McKinnie on a 1-2 year incentive laden deal.He would still be less of a question mark at LT than KO would simply because he has actually played the position in the NFL and at times been quite successful at it.What's the back up plan if they go with KO and four games into the season they realize he can cut it?

Oher? Yikes.

Move your starting LG to LT and if he doesn't work out there move him back and then move your starting RT to LT and insert ? at RT?

That is a recipe for disaster.
    Last edited by TDL1000; 04-30-2013 at 12:32 PM.