Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Re: WRs the Ravens could trade for

I'm cool with the wait and see approach. There weren't too many WRs in the draft that we didn't already physically have on the team in a sense. I'm also of the thought that the QB can make a young group of WRs better (the I believe in you enough to throw you the ball factor) that in turn makes a young player want to step up. As Ozzie always says, there are always football players.

They will almost surely take at least a look in the 2nd FA market if a player comes available. Its just in their M.O. to do so.

If it makes some of you feel better, Pitta is their new slot WR. Which is probably not really that far off.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    I doubt they'll trade for a WR.
    They seem to be committed to a team-wide youth movement.
    I also doubt it's a coincidence that they signed 2 UDFA WRs: Gerard Sheppard & Omarius Hines, who are physically comparable in size to Boldin, only faster.
    And don't forget the TE from MD as depth there in case they move Pitta to the slot.

Ravens aren't gonna trade for a WR. They made it clear they like what they have and it will
    be either Doss or Thompson on opening day.

Blog Entries

I am going to harp on this all off-season. Give the young WRs a chance. We are talking about FA WRs and making trades for veterans. None of them got to where they were today, until they got a chance during the regular season to build a reputation. For example, from what we saw of Deonte Thompson catching passes from Tyrod Taylor, you don't think he could make explosive plays catching passes from Joe Flacco? However, we all know he wasn't going to get that chance with Boldin on the roster. That doesn't mean he can't do it.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I am going to harp on this all off-season. Give the young WRs a chance. We are talking about FA WRs and making trades for veterans. None of them got to where they were today, until they got a chance during the regular season to build a reputation. For example, from what we saw of Deonte Thompson catching passes from Tyrod Taylor, you don't think he could make explosive plays catching passes from Joe Flacco? However, we all know he wasn't going to get that chance with Boldin on the roster. That doesn't mean he can't do it.
    I am most hopeful for Thompson. But I realize he was probably a UDFA for a reason.

We are relying on a group of players selected in the 4th rd. or later, some of whom weren't even drafted. The odds are against them.

Yes, many of them haven't gotten many snaps due to health. But if they can't stay healthy it doesn't really matter how much potential they have.

If Ozzie and crew don't like what they see in camp I'd bet they trade for a known WR. The precedent has been set via Boldin and Evans.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post

We are relying on a group of players selected in the 4th rd. or later, some of whom weren't even drafted.
    Not every player on the team can be a 1st round pick.

Lets see what Caldwell can do. The Colts had a history of bringing in no name guys and making them productive: Pierre Garcon (6th round) and Austin Collie (4th round) come to mind.

Also, if you want to talk about UDFA receivers... Look at Wes Welker. Why was he an UDFA? The draft process isn't perfect. Some guys slip through the cracks.
    Last edited by Paintballguy; 05-01-2013 at 09:03 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Not every player on the team can be a 1st round pick.

Lets see what Caldwell can do. The Colts had a history of bringing in no name guys and making them productive: Pierre Garcon (6th round) and Austin Collie (4th round) come to mind.
    If Cameron were still around I would be much more pessimistic.

Caldwell is one of the few reasons I am hopeful that one of these guys can turn into a bonafide starter. But how much was Caldwell and how much was Peyton?

I have to admit this group of WRs kind of reminds me of the O's pitching "cavalry" - players that just can't put it together (and in the O's case it was even worse since those guys actually were high picks).

Blog Entries

If Cameron were still around I would be much more pessimistic.

Caldwell is one of the few reasons I am hopeful that one of these guys can turn into a bonafide starter. But how much was Caldwell and how much was Peyton?

I have to admit this group of WRs kind of reminds me of the O's pitching "cavalry" - players that just can't put it together (and in the O's case it was even worse since those guys actually were high picks).
    Flacco is a QB that can make receivers better with his strong arm and accuracy. Especially with Caldwell running a more receiver friendly system with more combo routes, better formations, motion, etc...

I'm not worried. Even if we kept Boldin, there is no guarantee he would be the same guy in the playoffs. Remember he went 10 games in the regular season without a receiving TD.

Blog Entries

Flacco is a QB that can make receivers better with his strong arm and accuracy. Especially with Caldwell running a more receiver friendly system with more combo routes, better formations, motion, etc...
    The WR still has to catch it though. Last year when given a shot Doss struggled with that aspect.

I'm not worried. Even if we kept Boldin, there is no guarantee he would be the same guy in the playoffs. Remember he went 10 games in the regular season without a receiving TD.
    I won't miss Boldin's overall body of work.

But I will miss his attitude, physicality and his ability to go into beast mode. When Boldin and Joe got locked in they were almost unstoppable. In the PITT game. In the playoffs.

I think the person best capable of having that relationship with Joe is Pitta, which is why I hope the Ravens extend Pitta during the offseason.

Here's my take.
    A number of things came together to make that fantastic championship run.
    Yes, the line having the best players in the right position helped give Flacco time and the opportunity to step into his throws. He was so accurate and it started showing up from the Giant game on.
    What was the big change? Suddenly his receivers were open...even if sometimes it was just by a yard or two, the difference was they were open and Joe was even more accurate.
    The plays that were being run by Caldwell made much of the difference.
    He called plays that used each player's best talents.
    Boldin, not much separation, but great at using his body to shield the defender from the ball.
    Joe threw the ball perfectly to Q, over and over again, game after game...the best place for Q to catch it.
    For Torrey, he laid it out there for him to run under or on the in routes, right in his chest or stomach.
    For Jacoby, he threw what looked like punts, but still, right to him.
    When Jacoby ran a slant, Joe hit him right in his hands but he dropped it.

It is simple. Use what you have. Use their best talent.
    We now have 4 receivers that can run a 4.4 or better.
    One is over 6'5". Where does Streeter catch the ball the best???
    Deonte Thompson...great speed, where does he catch the ball the best?
    Jacoby and Torrey.
    Pitta and Dickson.
    Doss and Reid.
    And now all the young guys coming in, whether they are H-backs or Boldin size, whatever.

Caldwell will call the right plays for the player combinations.
    Joe will find out where each player likes the ball and succeeds the most.
    This offense will be fine with the receivers we have IF the Oline does their job.
    That's it. I'm not worried about the skill players.
    I'm only concerned with the Oline.
    That makes it all go.
    The one thing that made it all NOT go, has been gone since the Skins game.

Blog Entries

If Juszczyk performs as advertised in college I think he could quickly become a bonafide receiving option and a fan favorite.

Blog Entries

I am most hopeful for Thompson. But I realize he was probably a UDFA for a reason.

We are relying on a group of players selected in the 4th rd. or later, some of whom weren't even drafted. The odds are against them.

Yes, many of them haven't gotten many snaps due to health. But if they can't stay healthy it doesn't really matter how much potential they have.

If Ozzie and crew don't like what they see in camp I'd bet they trade for a known WR. The precedent has been set via Boldin and Evans.
    Victor Cruz was a UDFA.

Thompson's game is very similar to Cruz.

I actually think the starting three receivers on opening day will be Torrey, Doss, and Thompson with Jacoby working in on certain packages.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I'm content to see what shakes out in camp.

Torrey looks to be the main man of the WR crop. I don't see Jacoby Jones as a No. 2 guy, but he is what he is and we know the value he provides.

Last year Deonte Thompson had a great camp/preseason and made the team despite being a UDFA. Of course, he was too far down the depth chart to see much playing time once the season started. I'd like to see what he could do with more reps under his belt. Again, not the ideal candidate for No. 2 WR, but I see him as a potential replacement for Jacoby Jones in 2014, if nothing else.

I like the Aaron Mellette selection in Round 7. While he's no Anquan Boldin, by all accounts Mellete could develop as a possession-type guy. Maybe he'll push Tandon Doss in camp and during preseason games. From what I've seen, Doss could use a bit of pushing.

I'm not putting a lot of faith in Tommy Streeter just yet, although I know a lot of posters here love him. Guy was OK in camp last summer, but honestly looked like a beanpole to me on the field who would break in half if hit by a linebacker (although maybe this impression is accentuated by his wearing No. 11). In any case, "raw" is an understatement where Streeter is concerned.

The Ravens seem to want to give David Reed an awful lot of chances. I was a Reed supporter for a long while, but soured on him over time. However, the team must see something in him. And LQ seems to have been relegated to ST, if he is active at all.

Still, as I said in the beginning, let's see what shakes out in camp. Maybe one or two of these guys will step up. There's no need to go out and sign a vet right now. If the guys already here don't wow the coaches over the summer, a (relatively cheap) vet can always be added by Labor Day via trade or someone else's cuts.
    Last edited by trailhiker85; 05-01-2013 at 11:18 AM.