Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Kiper praises Ravens draft

So Horwitz was the only guy in NFL who knew Simon was DPOY in Big Ten?

Kiper was the only guy besides Oz who knew KJ was the best FB in college?

But to answer my own question, the Bengals had
    the same need as Ravens for a Safety and passed on both Cyprien and Elam because
    they don't draft Safeties the last few years in the first round.

They also needed a 4 down ILB like Arthur Brown and passed on him too while
    Ozzie agressively traded up to get in front of other teams that wanted him.

That's how.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Who is Horwitz? Ah well, no matter... my point was that the Ravens valued these two guys more than other teams did because of the information fed to Ozzie from scouting. The so-called experts very rarely even mentioned their names... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post

But to answer my own question, the Bengals had
    the same need as Ravens for a Safety and passed on both Cyprien and Elam because
    they don't draft Safeties the last few years in the first round.

They also needed a 4 down ILB like Arthur Brown and passed on him too while
    Ozzie agressively traded up to get in front of other teams that wanted him.

That's how.
    I'm a big OSU fan, so I have seen a good portion of Simon's games. While he may not be the most athletic OLB, he is the most determined. Definitely plays like a Raven and Urban Meyer said he is a guy to name your son after. One of the very few two-year captains at the Ohio State University.

Blog Entries

Good point. I meant the guy in the office whose name begins with an H.

Same thing happened with Wagner who had lousy SR Bowl game and not so hot
    in his final year due to an injury.

Ravens went by what they saw in his junior year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iscull View Post
    I'm a big OSU fan, so I have seen a good portion of Simon's games. While he may not be the most athletic OLB, he is the most determined. Definitely plays like a Raven and Urban Meyer said he is a guy to name your son after. One of the very few two-year captains at the Ohio State University.
    Great insight. Thanks.

Yea, Meyer didn't have him that long and said he'd name his son after him he loved him
    so much. Ravens have contacts with Meyer.

The Ravens east coast and mid west scouts did damn well.

Blog Entries

Simon doesn't have a particular skill that jumps out at you. That is part of why he fell.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Simon doesn't have a particular skill that jumps out at you. That is part of why he fell.
    Besides intangibles of course.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Wasn't that the knock on JJ coming out of Bama? That & being a 'tweener--too small to play DE in the NFL, too slow to play OLB. The Ravens have made a fair hunk of their cred off 'tweeners with big hearts & nonstop motors because they're the best in the bidniz at finding ways to put them in position to succeed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iscull View Post
    Besides intangibles of course.
    Exactly. Sometimes team will pass on a guy who doesn't 'Wow' them, yet has the key intangibles you look for in a successful NFL player, in favor of a guy who 'Wows' them, but lacks some of those same intangibles.

Wes Welker did not do anything on tape that 'Wow'd' anybody. Now, everybody is looking for their own version of Wes Welker.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Wasn't that the knock on JJ coming out of Bama? That & being a 'tweener--too small to play DE in the NFL, too slow to play OLB. The Ravens have made a fair hunk of their cred off 'tweeners with big hearts & nonstop motors because they're the best in the bidniz at finding ways to put them in position to succeed.
    Yes, that was the same knock on Jarret Johnson. Yet, teams are still hesitant to take a player that is reminiscent of Jarret Johnson, in the earlier rounds. Teams go too much for the 'splash' sometimes.

There was a special follow up to the draft yesterday on ESPN. When they went around the room and asked each quest Herm Edwards said Baltimore. Kiper said Ravens and McShay added " the best scouting group in the league ".....

Blog Entries

Anyone ever heard of Vincent Jackson of SD? Of course you did. He came from little Northern Colorado and wasn't in the 100 best players to be drafted but did well in the pros. Mellette might too. The SI link I posted above gave Ravens credit for value where they got him. This nfl link projected Mellette to go around the 5th round.

He's like Boldin in size and height and jumping up for balls in traffic as a possession receiver and getting them but is not afraid to go over the middle. He has strong big hands and runs good routes. Like Boldin he's slow and doesn't get separation but makes up for it in the areas listed above. He's compared to Michael Jenkins.

Let's just give this guy a chance. He could contribute like Jackson from a little school and
    someone like Bernard Pierce from little Temple.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profil...tte?id=2539221
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-29-2013 at 09:31 PM.