Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    JJ actually came in as a DT...yes an all-effort guy, light DT.

He made a heck of a move from DT to OLB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Re: Kiper praises Ravens draft

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Anyone ever heard of Vincent Jackson of SD? Of course you did. He came from little Northern Colorado and wasn't in the 100 best players to be drafted but did well in the pros. Mellette might too. The SI link I posted above gave Ravens credit for value where they got him. This nfl link projected Mellette to go around the 5th round.

He's like Boldin in size and height and jumping up for balls in traffic as a possession receiver and getting them but is not afraid to go over the middle. He has strong big hands and runs good routes. Like Boldin he's slow and doesn't get separation but makes up for it in the areas listed above. He's compared to Michael Jenkins.

Let's just give this guy a chance. He could contribute like Jackson from a little school and
    someone like Bernard Pierce from little Temple.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profil...tte?id=2539221
    The biggest knocks on Mellette is his lack of top end speed and the fact he played at a small school. The fact he doesn't have the top end speed isn't a big deal because he's great in traffic and over the middle of the field. Plus, we got some guys that can fly in Jacoby and Torrey. We need a tough physical possession receiver which Mellette is. The small school thing doesn't bother me. Webb came from a small school, and we obviously know how good he is.

I didn't know much about Mellette when we drafted him, but I definitely like what I've seen from the articles I read and the videos I've watched.

Blog Entries

Spot on.

I never heard of him either but I'm reading up on everything I can find on him, Wagner,
    KJ and Simon and loving it.

What another great haul near and at the bottom of draft.

Like McShay said, best damn scouting group there is.

Most of us knew Ozzie was going to do something special with 12 picks. This could turn out to be one of his best moments...time will tell. Just an all out strong effort that not only maximized the picks, but addressed a bunch of needs in the process. Nobody does it better, and that is why the Ravens have been the best team in football over the past five years.

Blog Entries

LOL - Remember Garrett?

I'm just wondering how he feels. He turned the Ravens job down to stay in Dallas. He had to wait 3 more years for Wade to leave while HARBs racked up playoff after playoff finally winning the big one and he kicked his ass a couple of times - even down there when they closed their old house down with two historic runs.

Dallas seldom makes the playoff while HARBs and his brother are being called the best
    young coaches in the game.

I often wonder though how long HARBs would have lasted in say Miami where they are
    blaming Sparano and CAM for all their problems or Buff where they still
    do some strange stuff in the draft.

Ozzie gave all that talent to HARBs and Billick.

I remember reading a few years back that the Ravens' scouting staff liked to watch film of players when the game was out of hand - eg., hopelessly lost. They want to see that someone is still giving it all they've got on every play no matter what. They also love team captains. I believe I read that in connection to their drafting of JJ out of Alabama, who was a team captain.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyotc View Post
    They also love team captains. I believe I read that in connection to their drafting of JJ out of Alabama, who was a team captain.
    You don't get named a team captain & asked to lead others unless you've got your own actions & emotions under control. The Ravens want their guys to play with that same sort of controlled passion & intensity.

(NB this IMHO is why they're giving Rolando McClain so much rope--he was a captain at 'Bama, & Saban would not have made him one without good reason--& whatever has gone wrong in the interim, they're willing to take the [relatively cheap] chance that it can be set right.)

Blog Entries

The more I read about John Simon, the more I love.

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/201...mon-ohio-state

A leader on and off the field, a legend in Ohio State's football history...wait, they got rid of those names; let's try something else. John Simon is a remarkable player. He may not possess elite athleticism or top-tier measurables, but his dedication to the game of football is almost unparalleled.

As expected, Simon wasn't a first round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft. After looking at projections, it's difficult to pinpoint when he will hear his name called. Regardless of the round he's taken in or the team he lands with, Simon will be giving 110 percent like always. As he heads to the next level, we bid him farewell with a look at what he'll be bringing to your table on Sundays this fall.

After seeing action in all 13 games as a true freshman, Simon became a full-time starter the next three seasons. He recorded 154 total tackles, 43 tackles for loss and 20.5 sacks in 50 games played. The numbers look solid, but reading over a stat line won't tell you all you need to know about Simon.

Urban Meyer loves him. Like, really loves the guy. He went as far as to say, "If we have another child I want to name him Urban John Simon Meyer or something like that." Direct quote. Players like Simon don't come along every day. Watch Meyer's press conference after Ohio State defeated Cal 35-28 last September and see what he thinks of him. It gives you chills.

"He makes all of us look in the mirror and say, 'Are we doing enough for our team?'" said Meyer. The two-time captain provides instant leadership. Simon probably shouldn't have played against the Golden Bears. But, despite a nagging shoulder injury, he toughed it out and even delivered a sack that day. Don't worry about his toughness. He'll be the last player to ever have his drive called into question.

A phenomenal work ethic consistently appears as Simon's top quality. He doesn't quit on plays, ever. He'll be relentless in pursuit for your team. Where will he be lining up, though?

Simon is a versatile defender. He saw time and LE, RE, DT and LB in college, often playing in the LEO spot. His sole purpose in the NFL will likely be rushing the passer. His coverage skills aren't coveted. Simon struggled covering running backs and tight ends one-on-one at the Senior Bowl practices before withdrawing due to injury. He was announced as a linebacker for that game which some project him at the next level.

However, maybe working with NFL coaches will help improve this facet of his game. Maybe he is more talented dropping back than we know.

More on John Simon/DE-OLB/Ohio St:looked terrific in DL & OLB drills.Fluid and quick.Pass coverage skills & ability to drop surprising
    — Tony Pauline (@TonyPauline) March 25, 2013

A 4.62-second 40-yard dash at his pro day shows great speed when you're looking for edge rushers. That's just a shade under fifth pick in the draft Ziggy Ansah's Combine time. Plus, Simon is jacked. He didn't get to show of his strength on the bench press due to recent surgery on his shoulder, but he would have shined in that workout as well. Simon may be too bulked up, according to some scouts, as it can limit his fluidity. You try telling that guy to put down that weights.

His tweener status seems to deter some scouts, but line him up on the edge and say, "Hey, get after that guy under center," and you'll see results. Measuring just under 6'2", he doesn't have the "ideal" size for defensive ends. But isn't Elvis Dumervil 5'11"? His pro career seems to be progressing rather well.

Day 2 of the draft just might be his time.

A steal if he goes past 2nd MT @movethesticks Huge splits on #OhioSt LB/DE John Simon. Some tms like him in 2nd rd, others think late rd guy
    — Bruce Feldman (@BFeldmanCBS) April 18, 2013

Drafting John Simon gets you a tenacious defender with a great motor, work ethic and attitude. He can rush the passer standing up or putting his hand in the dirt. If he does fall to the later rounds, you're getting a steal. Simon looks to be venturing into a bright future in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post

Like McShay said, best damn scouting group there is.
    They're scouting dept is UNREAL.

I've always found it funny how we're often trashed, and usually at least underappreciated by the media during the season, and by most fans across the country, but around draft time, we're lauded and praise (usually to the chagrin of most of the other team's fans).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    They're scouting dept is UNREAL.
    I dunno how many guys they have on the scouting staff...but would anyone be surprised if each & every one of them gets a ring from last year, even if Bisciotti has to pay out of his own pocket for them? Little things like that (equivalent to a $2k bonus IIRC, so in the greater scheme of things, it's little) will keep a good employee loyal forever. Our owner understands that better than anyone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    I dunno how many guys they have on the scouting staff...but would anyone be surprised if each & every one of them gets a ring from last year, even if Bisciotti has to pay out of his own pocket for them? Little things like that (equivalent to a $2k bonus IIRC, so in the greater scheme of things, it's little) will keep a good employee loyal forever. Our owner understands that better than anyone.
    I expect everyone on the Ravens staff to get one. That's chump change to Bisciotti.