Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: The OT situation

From Ravens website:
    But their late rush of offensive selections didn't provide answers to several key questions about that unit. Who is going to protect quarterback Joe Flacco's blind side? And who, other than Torrey Smith, is going to give Flacco a viable downfield target?

The simple answer to both of those questions is the Ravens don't know yet. That's going to bother some fans and analysts, the perfectionists who expect teams to tie up all loose ends in March and April, via free agency and the draft.

But remember, the start of the 2013 regular season is still more than four months away.

The Ravens aren't done yet. They're far from done, in fact.

"Up until we get this 53-man squad together before we have to get ready to play Denver (in September's season opener), this is going to be a very fluid situation," General Manager Ozzie Newsome said after the draft Saturday evening.

Addressing the left tackle situation in particular, he pointed out that the Ravens have twice filled that need shortly before the season started, with Willie Anderson in 2008 and Bryant McKinnie in 2011. I'm sure they could do so again, and in fact, I expect them to do so.

Yes, several viable candidates are already on the roster. Michael Oher played left tackle through the 2012 regular season, and the Ravens believe Kelechi Osemele has the right stuff to play there.

But Oher was more effective at right tackle during the playoff run, and Osemele recently conceded that he would rather play left guard, where he also flourished in the playoffs.

My opinion is the Ravens should stick with Oher at right tackle, Osemele at left guard and TBD (to be determined) at left tackle. That's the most effective starting five.

The obvious choice to fill the unknown spot is McKinnie, who played so well during the Super Bowl run and is now an unrestricted free agent. But the Ravens clearly are hesitant to bring him back. I understand the reluctance. Head Coach John Harbaugh wants workout warriors who play with passion. McKinnie is a nice guy with a lot of other interests.

But he's also a huge guy with nimble feet, and as he showed in the playoffs, still up to handling the blind side.

The Ravens are wisely going to wait out the market for his services, which isn't exactly on boil. But if they don't bring him back, they should get someone like him.

...But with months to go before a snap that counts, they have time. And stuff happens.

"I don't turn down any good players. I just don't. We find a way to get them," Newsome said.

Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    I also think that the re-signing of McKinnie is a foregone conclusion, unless we find somebody better. All the big free agents are signed somewhere. If there was a big market for him, we'd know about it. No matter how good we believe he was for us last year (and he was... for about 4-5 games, though they were the most important games of the year) the fact is he's 33-34, has a "history", and nobody else in the NFL made much of a run at him so far in FA.

I won't go so far as to say he has a market of one, but it's close. Sure there's teams that might like him as a backup for the vet minimum, but the Ravens may be the only team willing to start him and actually pay him some money. He may need the Ravens more than they need him.

That said, I hope we re-sign him, but only if he shows up in shape and ready to rock.
    I honestly don't think the FO wants him back at any price, and even if he does return, I'd imagine he would start at left bench, not left tackle.
    NO, who also spoke with him, drafted Terron Armstead. IF he doesn't appear good to go in camp I could see them signing McKinnie as a stiop gap.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I honestly don't think the FO wants him back at any price, and even if he does return, I'd imagine he would start at left bench, not left tackle.
    NO, who also spoke with him, drafted Terron Armstead. IF he doesn't appear good to go in camp I could see them signing McKinnie as a stiop gap.
    I think the post season game tape will trump the other stuff in the end. I think they are just waiting for the price to come down and he is waiting until camp starts or the price comes up.

One way or another I think they find a better option than Oher at lt and the line will be a strength.

:T2:

Quote Originally Posted by Reedpixuoff View Post
    Either sign McKinnie/Starks to play LT or sign Winston/Clabo to play RT and slide Oher over. Playing KO anywhere other than LG is not an option in my opinion; the pocket created by KO-Birk-Yanda allowed Joe to step up and make those incredible throws.
    Starks is worse than Oher. Don't want him for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    What free agent options do you like? Also I felt the OL improvement was more a function of 5 functional players out there at the same time more than the difference between Oher and McKinnie at lt alone. In fact I think the one position upgraded the most by far was lg where we went from a problem to an asset instantly when KO got moved there.

:T2:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post

San Diego is another team I could see looking at McKinnie.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I'm sure will be get that stopgap in June or August. A vet will pop up then. I'm sure protecting Joe is a concern. I was pulling for Armstead to be drafted but o well. But this line will one year be in shape for year to come. Hey we wait for over a decade for a QB. And shoot. WR we drafted. Denver will get stonewalled when we get there with whoever is the best 5, why because they will be Ravens, lmao.

I really don't know all the option as many others do. Which is a reason why I love RSR. But Ozzie has a plan.
    Not sure who might leave after this season, but we can surely be in the elite Tackle drafting next draft. Don't know all the holes we would need to fill, but LT and WR should be a need next draft.

Quote Originally Posted by bmore finest View Post
    I'm sure will be get that stopgap in June or August. A vet will pop up then. I'm sure protecting Joe is a concern. I was pulling for Armstead to be drafted but o well. But this line will one year be in shape for year to come. Hey we wait for over a decade for a QB. And shoot. WR we drafted. Denver will get stonewalled when we get there with whoever is the best 5, why because they will be Ravens, lmao.

I really don't know all the option as many others do. Which is a reason why I love RSR. But Ozzie has a plan.
    Not sure who might leave after this season, but we can surely be in the elite Tackle drafting next draft. Don't know all the holes we would need to fill, but LT and WR should be a need next draft.
    next year's draft has 3 elite LT's as well... as noted by wickedsolo's post about his big board for 2014... Kouandijo, Matthews and Lewan should all be very similarly graded to this year's trio by this time next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    Yup, dude has damn near gotten Rothlisberger killed over the years a few times.

Bottom line here is the front office Knows this hole needs to be filled in some capacity.

I think they're comfortable knowing that If they have to they can plug Oher or K.O. over there and make it work if deemed absolutely necessary.

As much as I'm concerned about LT, I'm pretty much just as concerned at Center.

We have basically an unproven 2nd year guy with very little actual playing time in the NFL and a late round draft pick that doesn't even know where the complex is yet much less playing in the NFL.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Blog Entries
    It kind has kind of been a double-edged sword with the Ravens over the past 5 years.

They win, so they dont have much of an opportunity to go after guys who are elite prospects. However, the LT position is such that you have to pick in the top 15 to have a chance at a starting-caliber player. Oher dropped because of his size, which is also why guys like Bulaga and Reiff dropped.

The Ravens would have to have a rough season to have a shot at Lewan, Matthews, or Kouandjio. Otherwise, they have to trade up and to go from (let's say) pick 25 to pick 10 you are talking giving up their 2nd, 3rd, and the following year's 1st along with a mid round pick. That is a lot and that's why I said if they were going to do that then they better make sure they've got all of their ducks in a row elsewhere.

I am hoping now that three top LTs went early this year and there is really only a few other teams with holes at LT means that some will drop a bit. The other good thing about next year's draft is there are much better QB prospects and WR prospects. So, that could help push an OT or two down a bit.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

When Oz was asked about McKinnie he said 'it's a process'. I think they have a price and if and when McKinnie wants to join, he can do so. They're not going to overpay him but there's a chance that another team might.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I'd try and pull a trade of for Eugene Monroe. Cut leach to pay him or take him at his salary this year and tag him next year with no real key free agents worth tagging coming up next offseason then sign him LOng term