Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Post-Draft Reactions

With the draft soon to be over--and no, I don't think whoever we draft in the 7th round is going to be all that relevant--let's talk about what the ramifications of this draft are.

#1. The obvious reaction is the commitment the Ravens have made to filling their defensive holes in 2013. The two biggest names that walked away this year, Ray and Ed, have been "replaced" (not truly replaced, but their positions are filled). Matt Elam and Arthur Brown play like Ravens and were tremendous value picks in the 1st and 2nd. Brandon Williams could potentially drive Cody off the roster (not for monetary reasons--"Cheeseburger" might not be one of the 53 best players on the team at this point.)

#2. Defensive depth, particularly on the DL. Obviously Ozzie and Harbaugh were not happy at how worn down our DL, particularly Ngata, got at times last year. I expect the Ravens to rotate on the DL MUCH more frequently in 2013. Jones and McPhee will rotate at LDE, Canty and Spears at RDE, and Ngata and Williams at NT, with Ngata sliding around depending on the matchup. Tyson will likely remain a game-day inactive if he makes the team, but he's solid depth at the position. Lewis-Moore will be on IR in 2013 but could be Art Jones' long-term successor.

#3. The OL situation. Right now, I think our OL is still very much up in the air. LT will likely be Oher or Osemele; if Osemele slides outside we have a huge hole at LG. We'll likely have a camp competition to figure out the 5 best guys, but IMO I'd currently place my bet on Oher at LT, Osemele at LG, and the winner of Jah Reid/Ricky Wagner playing RT. I'm not sure I love our tackles but if we can keep our interior OL strong, at least Joe can step up.

#4. Wide receiver. Obviously the Ravens like their guys better than we could have anticipated. Tandon Doss appears to still be the organization's preferred option to replace Boldin. Can he step up and play more physically? I think the organization still likes Jacoby Jones as a #3/#4, not a #2, so the competition here is Doss vs. Streeter vs. Thompson. This is a battle to watch, because none of those 3 have a shred of production between them. IMO this is the team's weakest link currently, so I wouldn't rule a post-draft trade out--Jeremy Maclin out of Philly or Golden Tate out of Seattle could be available for mid-to-late 2014 draft picks.

Blog Entries

Re: Post-Draft Reactions

Here's my reaction to today...

4th round...Well, Simon is another BEAST and could possibly be backup plan for Suggs. The FB is a gamer

5th round...Finally an OL. But a G?

6th round...Really, another DE, and an injured one at that? And a guy not to push at OT, but at CENTER??

It's times like this I have to remind myself...the drafts where we all start doubting Ozzie are the ones he usually does best on.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    #4. Wide receiver. Obviously the Ravens like their guys better than we could have anticipated. Tandon Doss appears to still be the organization's preferred option to replace Boldin. Can he step up and play more physically? I think the organization still likes Jacoby Jones as a #3/#4, not a #2, so the competition here is Doss vs. Streeter vs. Thompson. This is a battle to watch, because none of those 3 have a shred of production between them. IMO this is the team's weakest link currently, so I wouldn't rule a post-draft trade out--Jeremy Maclin out of Philly or Golden Tate out of Seattle could be available for mid-to-late 2014 draft picks.
    On 105.7 last night they mentioned that Ozzie had said if the season started today, Deonte Thompson would be the slot receiver not Doss. For whatever that's worth. He looked very good last pre-season.

I am a bit biased here, because I loved Arthur Brown, but his selection made the draft for me at least. He is EXACTLY what the Ravens needed at ILB. An injection of speed and athleticism. He can play in the nickel or the dime. He has the range to cover a lot of ground.

In today's NFL, with tight ends running as well as receivers, and the slot receiver being so tough to defend, you need LBs that can run. With one move I think the team took a significant step to address the glaring coverage weakness they had in the middle of the field.

The Ravens got two first-round caliber defensive players who can be starters on day one. I'm ecstatic.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    On 105.7 last night they mentioned that Ozzie had said if the season started today, Deonte Thompson would be the slot receiver not Doss. For whatever that's worth. He looked very good last pre-season.
    Another note, Torrey tweeted that "Keenan Allen = Doss". Usually, I would think players would be ASKING FO to draft them help, ala Andre Johnson. Torrey has intimated this whole time that he thinks the WR corps should be good enough to go.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Another note, Torrey tweeted that "Keenan Allen = Doss". Usually, I would think players would be ASKING FO to draft them help, ala Andre Johnson. Torrey has intimated this whole time that he thinks the WR corps should be good enough to go.
    That's interesting. Obviously both are 6'2 208 or so, long-armed with good hands, and neither has elite speed. Physically and in terms of skill-set they're not terribly far off.

Doss is just too soft IMO, though. When he took the field last year he got pushed around and abused because he's just totally not physical at all. It would be a major revelation for a non-contact guy like that to suddenly wake up and play tough, but I guess it happens. The guy did break up a fight at a Five Guys, after all...

Blog Entries

The concern with Doss to me has been that he's never "stepped up" and imposed his talent. We've heard he has "vacuum cleaner hands". But that was during minicamps, no contact. When it came time for contact and physical play, he wasn't catching as well.

What's the point in playing him if he can't look awesome in practice? Even TT looked awesome in practice.

Blog Entries

Rounds 1-4: Stoked. Lot of GREAT talent there with a ton of upside.
    Rounds 5-7: Not really excited about, but I'll reserve judgement.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    He was joking that they favor each other

[IMG]
    http://seattlesportscentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Keenan-Allen-draft-seahawks.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Rounds 1-4: Stoked. Lot of GREAT talent there with a ton of upside.
    Rounds 5-7: Not really excited about, but I'll reserve judgement.
    To be fair, it's hard to be stoked about rounds 5 -7, those guys don't get drafted in 1 -4 for a reason, that said I like the later rounds. Kapron could be a steal if there plan is to IR hi and have him ready for next year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    To be fair, it's hard to be stoked about rounds 5 -7, those guys don't get drafted in 1 -4 for a reason, that said I like the later rounds. Kapron could be a steal if there plan is to IR hi and have him ready for next year.
    Yea, I was more excited last year about Tommy Streeter and Asa Jackson.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    yes that would be awesome. he can be a great slot guy