Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Re: WR Situation -- How bad is it?

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    I don't fault him but when you get opportunities, you have to make the most of them. That's what separates guys like Victor Cruz, who was an UDFA who made the most of his chances, and the hundreds of other wide receivers who were given shots to play and never made anything of it.

Not saying anyone should give up on Doss, but the NFL stands for not for long. If he wants to stick around, he's gotta make plays, even if they are difficult ones.
    Situations are not always the same. Cruz played for an OC that actually deploys a creative passing game. With the Ravens before the playoff run the opportunities for the wide receivers were few and far between. I am withholding judgement on all players until they play in Caldwell's system for a year. And Doss did take a wr screen to the house earlier in the season so to say he has not made plays is incorrect. Boldin would have been lucky to get back to the line of scrimmage on that play.

Blog Entries

After the first 2 games of Torrey's career, we were all scared that we busted on another WR.

However he blew up in game 3.

And he has had several huge games, and huge plays. He entrenched himself.

He was drafted 2 rounds ahead of Doss in the same year.

Yes, Doss hasn't had as much opportunity partly because of Boldin. But if he really had "it" I think the Ravens would have found a way to get him on the field more. Obviously injuries have played a role too.

I wish for the best but I just don't think he is going to turn out.

I think we end up bringing in a cut FA WR. Or making a trade for one. Not sure who is on the block.

I am most hopeful for Deonte because he has game breaking speed, and looked decent in the preseason.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Any receiver that has a pass hit them in the hands and they don't haul it in is egregious.

But I dont know why you're arguing with me. I agree with you. Those were not easy catches, but they are still drops and it is concerning a bit because this guy may be in the running to win the #2 spot.

I was stoked when they drafted Doss. He was one of my favorite receivers that year. I completely think he could be a 60-70 reception player.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Not arguing with you at all, just trying to clarify my point.

Quote Originally Posted by rlh445 View Post
    I actually feel quite the opposite. What, the conditions are supposed to be perfect every time for a WR in the NFL? He would GET the playing time next to Torrey Boldin or Jacoby if catches like that are made and it doesn't matter if you're 'cold', you gotta make the most of the opportunities you're given. I DO fault the player, any player, for not making those makeable catches. That is what receivers really get paid to do. Boldin has had his fair share of easy drops but man, when you needed the guy to go up and get one while guys are face-guarding, holding, pushing and shoving him he always came through. You can say the same about Torrey, in different ways. He's dropped some but he never let it get him down and always came back and made the difficult ones or the ones we needed to get back in the game. I was surprised that Doss didn't get more PT over Jacoby and I think he can be a much better receiver than Jacoby too. This year he gets his true shot and I hope he makes the most of it.
    As other posters have pointed out, there isn't really much room for a 4th/5th string WR to prove himself in Cam's offense. All I know is us fans have only seen him in that one game and a handful of other snaps. The coaching staff and Ozzie have watched him every single day in practice the last two years and as of now appear comfortable to roll with him as a starter.

I'm not trying to pull the "If you don't think Doss is good enough than you must think you know better than Ozzie" card at all, that would be ridiculous and posters who say stuff like that are obnoxious. I'm simply trying to say that we haven't seen nearly enough of Doss to make an assessment one way or the other. Neither you nor Wicked are writing him off, but plenty in here are.

Blog Entries

From the Ravens website:
    But their late rush of offensive selections didn't provide answers to several key questions about that unit. Who is going to protect quarterback Joe Flacco's blind side? And who, other than Torrey Smith, is going to give Flacco a viable downfield target?

The simple answer to both of those questions is the Ravens don't know yet. That's going to bother some fans and analysts, the perfectionists who expect teams to tie up all loose ends in March and April, via free agency and the draft.

But remember, the start of the 2013 regular season is still more than four months away.

The Ravens aren't done yet. They're far from done, in fact.

"Up until we get this 53-man squad together before we have to get ready to play Denver (in September's season opener), this is going to be a very fluid situation," General Manager Ozzie Newsome said after the draft Saturday evening.

...As for the downfield threat, we're talking about replacing Anquan Boldin, Flacco's favorite target in the playoffs, who was traded to San Francisco. After not addressing the need in free agency, they also didn't address it with a high draft pick.

What they're saying, in effect, is they like the receivers already on hand and envision replacing Boldin by giving Jacoby Jones a larger role and getting more production from a pool that includes Tandon Doss, David Reed, Deonte Thompson and others.

Maybe that will work, but I see it as the biggest gamble in their blueprint for 2013. Jones is a playmaker, just ask the Broncos, but his hands weren't always sure in 2012. And none of the others are going to scare opposing defenses until they show they can consistently make plays.

If the Ravens end up wanting to add someone, they're going to have a harder time at that position, where most of the proven talent is already taken.

But with months to go before a snap that counts, they have time. And stuff happens.

"I don't turn down any good players. I just don't. We find a way to get them," Newsome said.

Stay tuned.

6. Re: WR Situation -- How bad is it?

Looks like we have a new receiver, http://instagram.com/p/YqM48_E-Ri/

Quote Originally Posted by codepurple View Post
    As long as Webb keeps his its fine.

iggyman555 Guest

link dont be working

Wow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

iggyman555 Guest

got it, torrey cut off dreads?

Blog Entries

Guys---I am not saying he had a bad game, I am saying so far he has not had a good one. Several of you say " he must be doing something right---the coaches see him every day'. But he was inactive while an undrafted free agent played. The coaches who see him play every day did not activate him.

That tells me something. Maybe he is not a great special teams player. Maybe he will be okay. Maybe he needs some more time to develop. But if he does not develop soon, we will have to find another weapon. I hope so, because we need another quality receiver who can get separation and who can catch.

Quote Originally Posted by ed from Bel Air View Post
    Guys---I am not saying he had a bad game, I am saying so far he has not had a good one. Several of you say " he must be doing something right---the coaches see him every day'. But he was inactive while an undrafted free agent played. The coaches who see him play every day did not activate him.
    Laquan played because he excels at ST. If Cam Cameron is the offensive coordinator and you are not amongst the top 3 WRs or a ST player then you are simply not going to get many chances to see the field. Obviously he is still an unproven commodity, nobody is trying to argue otherwise.